Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do We Rely Too Much on Electricity?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Re: Do We Rely Too Much on Electricity?

    Originally posted by Otto View Post
    So much for fail-safe design, that's appalling. It would never have happened in the BREL days . Maybe they used Raspberry Pi computers, you have to shut those down properly before removing power otherwise you risk data loss. But you can't have everything for thirty quid!
    And these were built in Germany by Siemens. Vorsprung Durch Technik and all that.

    The Pacer and HST were BREL designs and are still going strong, even though both were intended as stopgaps in the 1970's with a twenty year design life.
    ---------------

    Naughty Nigel


    Difficult is worth doing

    Comment


    • #47
      Re: Do We Rely Too Much on Electricity?

      Originally posted by Otto View Post
      So much for fail-safe design, that's appalling. It would never have happened in the BREL days . Maybe they used Raspberry Pi computers, you have to shut those down properly before removing power otherwise you risk data loss. But you can't have everything for thirty quid!

      Comment


      • #48
        Re: Do We Rely Too Much on Electricity?

        and then what? You make it sound so easy!

        Comment


        • #49
          Re: Do We Rely Too Much on Electricity?

          Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
          The Pacer and HST were BREL designs
          Hard to believe they both came from the same organisation! The Pacer was and is an abomination (imho) whereas the HST pretty much saved British Rail, and still holds the world speed record for diesel-powered passenger trains. In my view the HST carriages (Mk.IV?) are still more comfortable than many of the more modern designs.
          Regards
          Richard

          Comment


          • #50
            Re: Do We Rely Too Much on Electricity?

            Assuming you know the basics of Linux . I have several, two of which form a network music player; one is a server which holds all (well most) of my CDs as lossless FLAC files, the other is a player controlled via a phone or pad using free software from http://moodeaudio.org/
            Regards
            Richard

            Comment


            • #51
              Re: Do We Rely Too Much on Electricity?

              Originally posted by TimP View Post
              The limited uses I’ve put mine to don’t seem to have a way to power down gracefully so I always just hit the switch, never knowingly lost anything as far as I can tell. They are great little things and getting better with each iteration.

              Like Windows, the "Start" button has a "Shut Down" option which stops the OS, after which you can remove the power. If you're running it from the command line, then type "shutdown -h now".

              There are hardware solutions too but I haven't tried one of those as yet.
              Regards
              Richard

              Comment


              • #52
                Re: Do We Rely Too Much on Electricity?

                Originally posted by TimP View Post
                and then what? You make it sound so easy!
                It is easy. All you need as a minimum config is a 16Gb memory card to download the free Raspbian operating system onto, plus a 5V power supply. You put the card in the RPi and connect it up to your keyboard and mouse via USB and your TV via an HDMI cable Power on and it prompts you to enter your WiFi router password and thats it

                They actually do a starter kit that gives you all you need for complete newbies.

                Rasbian OS (Unix) comes with Firefox web browser, Thunderbird mail app and Libra office suite (compatible to Microsoft Office), plus lots of other goodies.
                It also has an image viewer for basic stuff. But you can download a version of GIMP that has all the power of Photoshop to run on it for heavy duty editing.
                You can add more storage via one of the USB ports, or use a larger memory stick.

                As I said its amazing, many schools now use RPi as their main IT teaching platform.

                Take a look

                https://www.raspberrypi.org/products...-pi-4-model-b/

                I have the previous version RPi3B+ and use it for lots of things. I actually run a free complete astrophotography package on mine called KStars which controls my telescope and camera.
                Dave

                My Flickr

                Comment


                • #53
                  Re: Do We Rely Too Much on Electricity?

                  Originally posted by Otto View Post
                  Hard to believe they both came from the same organisation! The Pacer was and is an abomination (imho) whereas the HST pretty much saved British Rail, and still holds the world speed record for diesel-powered passenger trains. In my view the HST carriages (Mk.IV?) are still more comfortable than many of the more modern designs.
                  The Pacer is something of a 'Marmite' train. I would far rather travel on an HST myself but many will argue that the humble Pacer with its low running costs has kept many unprofitable rural lines open, which might not have been the case with newer rolling stock.

                  The HST uses Mk 3 carriages (the Class 91 electrics haul Mk 4's), but apparently the HST's Mk 3 carriages are incompatible with locomotive hauled Mk 3 stock, including sleepers, which use an 1,100 Volt DC supply for hotel services rather than the 415 Volt three phase AC supply used on HST's.
                  ---------------

                  Naughty Nigel


                  Difficult is worth doing

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Re: Do We Rely Too Much on Electricity?

                    The early Sprinters were pretty dreadful too. As it happens I was coming home on the train one day recently, and the formation was a 158 two-car Sprinter plus a single 150 car at the back. The two 158 carriages were close to full, but there wasn't a single passenger in the 150. That says a lot I think!

                    Thanks for the correction re the Mk3s and Mk4s Nigel - I personally find the HST more comfortable than the Mk4s used on the East Coast main line. Friends down south who use the Thameslink services say they preferred the older stock on that line too.
                    Regards
                    Richard

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: Do We Rely Too Much on Electricity?

                      Update on the situation here.

                      https://www.theguardian.com/business...-national-grid

                      So their strategy certainly needs a review.

                      (Seems the CEO was not on holiday so corrected my earlier post).
                      Dave

                      My Flickr

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Re: Do We Rely Too Much on Electricity?

                        Originally posted by Otto View Post
                        The early Sprinters were pretty dreadful too. As it happens I was coming home on the train one day recently, and the formation was a 158 two-car Sprinter plus a single 150 car at the back. The two 158 carriages were close to full, but there wasn't a single passenger in the 150. That says a lot I think!
                        The Pacer was basically a Leyland National bus body with bus seats and engines riding on two pairs of railway wheels. They don't even have proper bogies so ride comfort was never going to be good.

                        BR sold several of the original Class 141 Pacer units to Iran in the late 1990's which I am sure will have done wonders for east-west relations.

                        Originally posted by Otto View Post
                        Thanks for the correction re the Mk3s and Mk4s Nigel - I personally find the HST more comfortable than the Mk4s used on the East Coast main line. Friends down south who use the Thameslink services say they preferred the older stock on that line too.
                        Mk 3 and Mk 4 carriages are easily identified. Mk 3 carriages have a very square profile and provide more space inside whilst the Mk 4 have tapered sides to allow for tilting, although none were ever fitted with a tilting mechanism.

                        The HST was introduced as a stopgap when the APT project was abandoned in the 1970's. Remarkably, the HST not only saved but revolutionised Britain's railways but was designed almost entirely around existing Mk 3 carriages but with two linked locomotives to provide greater speed and reliability and to avoid having to run locomotives around trains at termini.
                        ---------------

                        Naughty Nigel


                        Difficult is worth doing

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Re: Do We Rely Too Much on Electricity?

                          Originally posted by wornish View Post
                          It is easy. All you need as a minimum config is a 16Gb memory card to download the free Raspbian operating system onto, plus a 5V power supply. You put the card in the RPi and connect it up to your keyboard and mouse via USB and your TV via an HDMI cable Power on and it prompts you to enter your WiFi router password and thats it

                          They actually do a starter kit that gives you all you need for complete newbies.

                          Rasbian OS (Unix) comes with Firefox web browser, Thunderbird mail app and Libra office suite (compatible to Microsoft Office), plus lots of other goodies.
                          It also has an image viewer for basic stuff. But you can download a version of GIMP that has all the power of Photoshop to run on it for heavy duty editing.
                          You can add more storage via one of the USB ports, or use a larger memory stick.

                          As I said its amazing, many schools now use RPi as their main IT teaching platform.

                          Take a look

                          https://www.raspberrypi.org/products...-pi-4-model-b/

                          I have the previous version RPi3B+ and use it for lots of things. I actually run a free complete astrophotography package on mine called KStars which controls my telescope and camera.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Re: Do We Rely Too Much on Electricity?

                            Originally posted by wornish View Post
                            Update on the situation here.

                            https://www.theguardian.com/business...-national-grid

                            So their strategy certainly needs a review.

                            (Seems the CEO was not on holiday so corrected my earlier post).
                            There are at least two pumped water generators in the UK that I know of (one each in Scotland and Wales) that should have been able to make up the shortfall within a matter of seconds, but it seems they were not used. I wonder whether contractual considerations (i.e. price) got in the way?
                            ---------------

                            Naughty Nigel


                            Difficult is worth doing

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Re: Do We Rely Too Much on Electricity?

                              Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                              There are at least two pumped water generators in the UK that I know of (one each in Scotland and Wales) that should have been able to make up the shortfall within a matter of seconds, but it seems they were not used. I wonder whether contractual considerations (i.e. price) got in the way?

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Re: Do We Rely Too Much on Electricity?

                                Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                                There are at least two pumped water generators in the UK that I know of (one each in Scotland and Wales) that should have been able to make up the shortfall within a matter of seconds, but it seems they were not used. I wonder whether contractual considerations (i.e. price) got in the way?
                                Think you might be getting close to the underlying issue.
                                Dave

                                My Flickr

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X