Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cremation Integration

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Cremation Integration

    Originally posted by Jax View Post
    Mighty oaks from little acorns grow, or possibly....... from little Aussie Journalists Jax
    Perhaps it's time we dissolved this thread …
    My Flickr

    * mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
    The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
    On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Cremation Integration

      My Flickr

      * mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
      The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
      On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Cremation Integration

        It was interesting that Doris Day said that she didn't want a funeral, grave or any sort of memorial.

        Jim

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Cremation Integration

          Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
          It was interesting that Doris Day said that she didn't want a funeral, grave or any sort of memorial.

          Jim
          I understand from our son that this is not uncommon. Every week they have several 'straight to the crem' funerals where these is no ceremony whatsoever.

          I gather the deceased is usually taken to the crematorium first thing in the morning so they can be 'done' before crematorium services start at 10.00 O'clock.

          Given the problems that funerals seem to cause in some families I wonder whether this might be a motivation?
          ---------------

          Naughty Nigel


          Difficult is worth doing

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Cremation Integration

            Direct Cremation is a good cheap option
            This space for rent

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Cremation Integration

              Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
              It was interesting that Doris Day said that she didn't want a funeral, grave or any sort of memorial. Jim
              Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
              I understand from our son that this is not uncommon. Every week they have several 'straight to the crem' funerals where these is no ceremony whatsoever. I gather the deceased is usually taken to the crematorium first thing in the morning so they can be 'done' before crematorium services start at 10.00 O'clock.

              Given the problems that funerals seem to cause in some families I wonder whether this might be a motivation?
              It is a sad commentary on human nature that a death in the family invariably results in a family feud.

              Originally posted by DerekW View Post
              Direct Cremation is a good cheap option
              It is no cheaper here than a budget burial.
              My Flickr

              * mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
              The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
              On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Cremation Integration

                Cheapest is a 'sky burial' in your back garden, though I don't think that the neighbours would be pleased!

                I believe that there's nothing against the law in burying someone in your back garden, though it can create problems when subsequently selling the house.

                Jim

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Cremation Integration

                  Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                  Cheapest is a 'sky burial' in your back garden, though I don't think that the neighbours would be pleased!

                  I believe that there's nothing against the law in burying someone in your back garden, though it can create problems when subsequently selling the house.

                  Jim
                  Mandy Jordash buried her husband under the patio if I remember correctly.

                  I believe you can bury the deceased in your own garden, and many big country households used to do just that, but I think there may be restrictions if water supplies might be affected.
                  ---------------

                  Naughty Nigel


                  Difficult is worth doing

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Cremation Integration

                    Originally posted by pandora View Post
                    It is a sad commentary on human nature that a death in the family invariably results in a family feud.
                    Such things invariably happen long before death, particularly if there are children of the elderly person. A friend (one of three sisters) is currently having a terrible time with their mother who has dementia. My wife who was an elderly care nurse but is now involved in dementia diagnosis sees it all the time too. Families literally broken apart by offspring all wanting different things for their loved ones.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Cremation Integration

                      Too soon, stick around a bit longer my son.
                      Stuff from Cuba
                      More stuff from Cuba
                      It all started here

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Cremation Integration

                        Originally posted by TimP View Post
                        My wife who was an elderly care nurse but is now involved in dementia diagnosis sees it all the time too. Families literally broken apart by offspring all wanting different things for their loved ones.
                        For and from, in my experience.

                        A friend who is organist at a large country church in the wilds of Co Durham tells us that funerals of farming families often descend into brawls if land, livestock and farm machinery isn't left to the right sons or daughters.

                        To be fair, I don't think this is anything new, except that by tradition the families used to wait until they got to the wake or the pub before brawling. Maybe the TV soaps give them the wrong idea?
                        ---------------

                        Naughty Nigel


                        Difficult is worth doing

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Cremation Integration

                          Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                          Cheapest is a 'sky burial' in your back garden, though I don't think that the neighbours would be pleased!
                          I believe that there's nothing against the law in burying someone in your back garden, though it can create problems when subsequently selling the house. Jim
                          Yes indeed, I can see how easily it could become a bone of contention.

                          Originally posted by TimP View Post
                          Such things invariably happen long before death, particularly if there are children of the elderly person. A friend (one of three sisters) is currently having a terrible time with their mother who has dementia. My wife who was an elderly care nurse but is now involved in dementia diagnosis sees it all the time too. Families literally broken apart by offspring all wanting different things for their loved ones.
                          Tim, that precisely was the case when my wife died with dementia. We have four children, three of them ganged up on me over burial rights and other matters. My eldest stood by me and our wishes prevailed.

                          Originally posted by Beagletorque View Post
                          Too soon, stick around a bit longer my son.
                          My Flickr

                          * mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
                          The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
                          On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Cremation Integration

                            Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                            I believe you can bury the deceased in your own garden, and many big country households used to do just that, but I think there may be restrictions if water supplies might be affected.
                            There's a grave protected by railings by the river Chess between Chenies and Latimer. It was in the grounds of a big mansion owned by the Liberty family, but the house is long gone. The story is that the owner wanted to be buried near the house, so he would know where to come for his bones, come the resurrection. It'll be confusing for the bones' owner now the landmark has gone!

                            https://www.chenies.org/liberty-tomb

                            Jim

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Cremation Integration

                              Boneapart's retreat comes to mind.

                              It's okay, I'm leaving!
                              My Flickr

                              * mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
                              The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
                              On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Cremation Integration

                                The proximity to the house story reminds me of Stanley Spencer's painting of the Resurrection at Cookham
                                see


                                Copyright the Tate
                                This space for rent

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X