Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The power of technology

Originally posted by Jax View Post
    It seems some members are hell bent on turning any conceivable topic into a political debate. A closed "Politics Thread" with participation by application only might be worth consideration.

Jax
    The problem is caused by a narrow minded minority who are unable to accept the reality that others hold perfectly reasonable opinions which just happen to be different to their own. Those with hard left and extreme right views are always the worst offenders.

If we are to hold reasoned political debates we need to learn to play the ball, not those kicking it in the wrong direction.
    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

L's comments were that once the vote got to 13.4 million then it would be worth looking at the result
      This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
        L's comments were that once the vote got to 13.4 million then it would be worth looking at the result

Comment

Get Dianne Abbott to count them.
          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
            Get Dianne Abbott to count them.
            And get the final result of the vote announced in 2030

Darkroom

Comment

The whole petition is a joke.

Just use mailinator it will give you as many votes as you want.

Google it.
              Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Have you tried it out
                This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                  Have you tried it out
                  Purely out of interest, I tried a few minutes ago and sadly, yes, it does seem to work.

The Gov voting site sends an email to the address you submit, in this case [email protected]. As usual you have to open the email and click a link to confirm the validity of the email address. The voting site states it only allows one vote from an email and IP address. I opened the email at Mailinator but did not click to confirm.

However, unless you were skilled in programming and were able to write some sort of script to generate, submit and confirm large volumes of fictitious email addresses it would be a very slow time consuming process to make any significant difference to the genuine votes.

Still a sad condemnation of a Gov Dept. that seems to have no procedures in place to prevent people submitting votes with an email address such as @mailinator.com ( unless that kicks in when the "confirmation" is clicked )

Darkroom

Comment

It's not that difficult to write a script that would drive mailinator, You could just simply let it run and generate many thousands of votes an hour from random mail addresses.

I am sure there are other programs as well.

Many of our government sites are designed by dinosaurs I am afraid.
                    Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                      It's not that difficult to write a script that would drive mailinator, You could just simply let it run and generate many thousands of votes an hour from random mail addresses.

I am sure there are other programs as well.

Many of our government sites are designed by dinosaurs I am afraid.

Comment

and it does! Script kiddies will sit up all night in their bedrooms figuring a way round these things, let alone a state actor who will do the same for political gain.

Comment

You have to enter your name and postcode too, it shouldn’t be difficult for the site to check those are both valid.
                          Regards
                          Richard

Comment

https://www.kent.house/uk-petition-a...acked-by-bots/

Imagine if someone with money wanted to rig a petition.
                            Dave

My Flickr

Comment

And, just for the sake of full transparency, we do believe as an agency that Brexit will be a huge driver of progress for UK business, economy, politics and society. So we would hate to see fraudulent poll results being generated and then used to make false claims of legitimacy for opposition to Brexit.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
                              Stuff from Cuba
                              More stuff from Cuba
                              It all started here

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post

https://www.kent.house/uk-petition-a...acked-by-bots/

Imagine if someone with money wanted to rig a petition.
                                Straight to Jail for 10 years for hacking

Another 10 years for telling everyone how to do it.

AND another 10 years for that supercilious grin...…….

Comment

Working...
                                X