Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LibreOffice

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
    I've used OpenOffice for many years. My copy of Word (MS Office) is the 2007 version so showing some cobwebs but still does what I need.
    My MS Office is 2002 and still works on Windows 7!

I've used Open and then Libre Office for many years and, while some things are done slightly differently, there's a very high degree of compatibility with MS The only major sticking point seems to be 'macros', which are not interchangeable between the two systems.

If you are into historical research, Libre Office has the advantage that it can work with dates before 1900. For Microsoft, the world did not exist before then and, if you use a Mac, the critical year is 1904.

There is also a 'free' version of MS Office 2010 called 'Office Starter' It's officially only for installation on new computers but be found fairly easily on the web. It only includes cut-down versions of Word and Excel plus Powerpoint Viewer.
    Mike
    visit my Natural History Photos website:
    http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

Thanks Mike, I make note of "Office Starter" as Powerpoint and Word are the only MS Office features I use nowadays.
      I also have a a CD of Office2000 but the key to it once on the back of the jewel case has long since disappeared.
      O well, at 83 I guess I won't be needing any of it for too much longer anyway.
      My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
      The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
      On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

Tomorrow our time is crunch day, I'll let you know whether Powerpoint still works on Libre.

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
        I've used OpenOffice for many years. My copy of Word (MS Office) is the 2007 version so showing some cobwebs but still does what I need.
        I was using Office 2007 on my last computer before it went down with all lives lost. Like you, it did all I needed.
        My Flickr

Comment

The only reason I still use MS Office is for absolute compatibility with the, erm, actual office. Libre Office is fine. For my personal stuff I actually use Google and keep everything online.

Comment

Originally posted by pandora View Post
            Thanks Mike, I make note of "Office Starter" as Powerpoint and Word are the only MS Office features I use nowadays.
            I also have a a CD of Office2000 but the key to it once on the back of the jewel case has long since disappeared.
            O well, at 83 I guess I won't be needing any of it for too much longer anyway.
            Hopefully you will be able to continue using it for some time yet.
            To that end, have a look at Produkey from Nirsoft. It might well be able to analyse your PC and return you the Office key.
            Best Regards
            Bill

The nearest I have to a home page.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
            They're Watching You!

Comment

Originally posted by Internaut View Post
              The only reason I still use MS Office is for absolute compatibility with the, erm, actual office. Libre Office is fine. For my personal stuff I actually use Google and keep everything online.
              Thanks Jason. I keep nothing personal online as I don't trust the Internet to store my stuff securely in perpetuity. All archived securely in two external drives.
              Originally posted by peak4 View Post
              Hopefully you will be able to continue using it for some time yet.
              To that end, have a look at Produkey from Nirsoft. It might well be able to analyse your PC and return you the Office key.
              Thanks Bill. No problemo, My msWord files can be opened (from behind a Microsoft nag screen), but not editable. This matters not as Libre can.
              My Flickr

Comment

Working...
              X