Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internaut
    replied
    Re: When you gotta brag, you gotta brag...

That level of manipulation isn’t really my thing, but I love the panel! Congratulations.

Leave a comment:

• Harold Gough
    replied

Originally posted by RobEW View Post
    It's a real achievement to be able to play a game so effectively when you're not fully convinced by the ethos, rules and spirit of the game. (Though I suppose that's what many people do to some extent in their working lives ...)
    How did you get hold of my CV?

Harold

Leave a comment:

• MargaretR
    replied

Incidentally I took photos the other week of that second building in your "before and after" post. Somewhere near the Leadenhall building; hard to get high enough or far enough back for a good perspective. Mine were nothing like as accomplished as yours of course, but it's nice to see.
    Yeah, that's Lloyds' of London, the 'inside out' building. Great subject.

Leave a comment:

• Zuiko
    replied

It's a real achievement to be able to play a game so effectively when you're not fully convinced by the ethos, rules and spirit of the game. (Though I suppose that's what many people do to some extent in their working lives ...)
    Sounds a lot like Banking!

Leave a comment:

• RobEW
    replied

Incidentally I took photos the other week of that second building in your "before and after" post. Somewhere near the Leadenhall building; hard to get high enough or far enough back for a good perspective. Mine were nothing like as accomplished as yours of course, but it's nice to see.

Leave a comment:

• RobEW
    replied

Brilliant work. I like them in a way I didn't expect to, as normally I like architecture images to be quite representational, and I'm not normally a fan of heavy post processing. (I've sometimes seen images which win accolades and thought "Why bother with a camera, and why call it photography").

It does seem a shame that in the competition world you have to play the game according to the preferences and fashions of the current batch of judges. Lots of very fine work which gets displayed in galleries would be marked very low in competitions. It's a real achievement to be able to play a game so effectively when you're not fully convinced by the ethos, rules and spirit of the game. (Though I suppose that's what many people do to some extent in their working lives ...)

Great images anyway, irrespective of other considerations.

Leave a comment:

• Phill D
    replied

It's really good to see the comparisons Margaret. I think it definitely adds to the overall effect. You've certainly produced some impressive images. Inspiration indeed.

Leave a comment:

• MargaretR
    replied

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
    Well done.

I considered the RPS many years ago but decided that what they wanted as images was not what I was interested in.

Harold
    No, I get that. Their exhibitions leave me pretty cold, and I don't warm to the "arty bollocks" (as Zuiko rightly put it!) that surrounds most of their utterances. Certainly this kind of stuff would not be what I normally produce for my own preferences, but I just decided it was a challenge I wanted to take on.

No doubt when it appears in the RPS Journal, there will be someone, somewhere going "Flipping 'eck ... you got an F for *that* load of tosh? "*I* can do better than that.."

Which is where *I* started from, to prove a point, so I hope those folks go on and have a go themselves!

Leave a comment:

• Harold Gough
    replied

Well done.

I considered the RPS many years ago but decided that what they wanted as images was not what I was interested in.

Harold

Leave a comment:

• OM USer
    replied

The techical artistry is fantatstic and I'm sure that helped a lot. A brilliant idea. It all seems a touch Escher to me. Can't say its my kind of thing but I can appreciate the work you put in. Congratulations.

Leave a comment:

• MargaretR
    replied

For those wanting to see some of the original images, here are a few comparisons of before (out of camera) and after (LR, PS and iPad processed). The bulk of the panel shots were taken around the City of London, some around King's Cross, and I think 1 was from La Defense in Paris; pretty sure the 3 here are all in the City.

As John (Zuiko) noted in another post, a panel also needs consistency, and in my case I went for that through taking everything into B&W, so that the emphasis was not on colour, but on shapes and forms; and by printing them all in square format (since I was calling it 'Abstracts Squared').

Leave a comment:

• MargaretR
    replied

Originally posted by drmarkf View Post
    That is just FANTASTIC Margaret!

Several members of the Cambridge club have got 'F's, but all of them quite a few years ago and, to a man & woman, they all say they'd never have got them today. I know a couple more with 'A's who have both failed at the 'F' hurdle a couple of times recently, and both are among the very best photographers I have the privilege to know.

The standard today is quite stunning, and I'm absolutely delighted for you.
    Thank you, Mark. I agree, the standard is daunting today ... I'm sure my 'A' (19 years ago!) would never have cut it at that level today. I was all the more surprised, therefore, to succeed at this one! I think definitely giving them something 'new' to look at helped a lot.

Leave a comment:

• sapper
    replied

Well done Margaret!

Leave a comment:

• Zuiko
    replied

Originally posted by Phill D View Post
    That's great info Margaret, I think i'm too much of a novice to really give it a proper go at any of the levels.
    Phill, you should be fine for the 'L' distinction, but do take Margaret's advice to attend one of the RPS advisory days before you even think of putting together a panel of prints. The emphasis for the 'L' is very much on general competency and photographic skills but artistic interpretation and presentation are important even at this level.

For example, I was fascinated to see how much time and effort the assessors put into arranging a panel, by changing the positions of the individual prints and swapping some of them for spares to obtain harmony and balance. Something to consider is whether the prints are going to be all portrait or landscape orientation or, if mixed, what sort of pattern and symmetry are they going to form in the panel. Other factors include possibly placing prints with similar colours or tones either next to each other, or at opposite ends of a row, or in opposing corners. The same goes for pictures that are predominately light or dark and even considering the best placement for subjects looking left, right, up or down.

This may sound like arty bollocks but when you see the exercise done by someone who is experienced it is surprising what a difference it can make. Consequently, assuming all your prints are technically competent and contain interesting, well composed subjects, making your final selection should be influenced by what works with your other prints as part of a set as much as anything else. It may be necessary to exclude what you consider to be your best or favourite image if it doesn't fit well with the rest of the panel. Needless to say, you need to include a display plan when submitting you panel for assessment.

There is a big step up from 'L' to 'A' and artistic interpretation around a more solid and tightly defined theme becomes increasingly important and then, as Margaret has demonstrated, the 'F' is a whole different kettle of fish!

Leave a comment:

• drmarkf
    replied

By the way, I love your panel.
    Regardless of the way the images were created, it's an artistic tour de force.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X