Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salisbury nerve agent - just what the hell is that stuff?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: Salisbury nerve agent - just what the hell is that stuff?

    Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post

    But what on earth does anyone want or need deadly nerve agents for?
    Mainly dictatorship regimes as a weapon.

    Democratic responsible nations hold for reference, possibly to develop an antidote? Or study developments in potency? Similarly the UK and others hold copies of Ebola for similar reasons.
    Steve

    on flickr

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: Salisbury nerve agent - just what the hell is that stuff?

      So, it seems we now know that a Novichok nerve agent was used at Salisbury; that these were produced by the Russians in the 1970's and 1980's and that all stocks were supposed to have been destroyed.

      The Russians, for their part are denying any responsibility, but are warning against provoking a nuclear superpower (especially in the run up to a Presidential Election).

      Our government is promising a 'robust response', but it seems there is little they can do other than threatening the Russians with not sending the England football team.

      Meanwhile the leader of the opposition says we shouldn't be too hasty, and is getting his Crayons out to write a nice letter to Mr Putin.

      So where does that all leave us?

      For all the talk of megasonic nuclear warheads that cannot be detected by our radar systems, it strikes me that the Russians only need to turn off the gas and we'll all be buggered.
      ---------------

      Naughty Nigel


      Difficult is worth doing

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: Salisbury nerve agent - just what the hell is that stuff?

        To some extent, but only about 15% of our gas is from Russia, via the EU. Would they upset the EU to get at us?

        Harold
        The body is willing but the mind is weak.

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: Salisbury nerve agent - just what the hell is that stuff?

          Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
          So, it seems we now know that a Novichok nerve agent was used at Salisbury; that these were produced by the Russians in the 1970's and 1980's and that all stocks were supposed to have been destroyed.

          The Russians, for their part are denying any responsibility, but are warning against provoking a nuclear superpower (especially in the run up to a Presidential Election).

          Our government is promising a 'robust response', but it seems there is little they can do other than threatening the Russians with not sending the England football team.

          Meanwhile the leader of the opposition says we shouldn't be too hasty, and is getting his Crayons out to write a nice letter to Mr Putin.

          So where does that all leave us?

          For all the talk of megasonic nuclear warheads that cannot be detected by our radar systems, it strikes me that the Russians only need to turn off the gas and we'll all be buggered.
          It seems there is little we can do, other than demonstrate our anger and contempt. We could up the ante by declaring a 25 mile exclusion zone for Russian naval craft in waters around Britain (which would, of course prevent them using the English Channel) but I can't see we would have the bottle to sink one of their ships!

          Maybe we should have played it differently from the start. Once the nerve agent and its probable source was identified, maybe we could have asked the Russians to help us trace where it had actually come from and who had access to it. The Russians have asked for a sample of the agent and, provided this is possible, it doesn't seem an unreasonable request.

          Thank goodness they need our money as much as we need their gas!
          John

          "A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: Salisbury nerve agent - just what the hell is that stuff?

            According to the creator Dr Vil Mirzayanov, symptoms of exposure to tiny amounts of Novichok can take years to surface. He also said ‘even if the Skripals survive they will be invalids for life’. There is no cure he said.
            Steve

            on flickr

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: Salisbury nerve agent - just what the hell is that stuff?

              I have been expecting a nuclear war for the whole of my life - perhaps now is the time.
              This space for rent

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: Salisbury nerve agent - just what the hell is that stuff?

                Societal entropy has to increase; we can’t defy the great laws that govern everything. Increased order is just an illusion, and only temporary.
                Steve

                on flickr

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: Salisbury nerve agent - just what the hell is that stuff?

                  What a cheery thought.

                  Presumably there is no antidote?

                  What ever would motivate someone to devote their life to creating a material like Novichok?



                  Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                  I have been expecting a nuclear war for the whole of my life - perhaps now is the time.
                  I am sure the Russians could wreak enough havoc without pressing the nuclear button. But once again we have fallen into the trap of believing Russia no longer posed a threat to the UK and the West.

                  No wonder Comrade Corbyn wanted to scrap Trident!
                  ---------------

                  Naughty Nigel


                  Difficult is worth doing

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: Salisbury nerve agent - just what the hell is that stuff?

                    Yeah, keep the red flag flying, hey Jeremy.
                    Steve

                    on flickr

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: Salisbury nerve agent - just what the hell is that stuff?

                      I see Jeremy showed his true colours in the Commons - he doesn't surprise me at all.

                      God help us if he gets the keys!
                      Steve

                      on flickr

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: Salisbury nerve agent - just what the hell is that stuff?

                        Have read of this gives a bit of history past to present and more information about the agent.

                        https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novichok_agent
                        EM-1 MK1 - No website containing any of my photos until I'm good enough!

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: Salisbury nerve agent - just what the hell is that stuff?

                          The Wicki article has been updated at least twice today.
                          This space for rent

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: Salisbury nerve agent - just what the hell is that stuff?

                            Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
                            I see Jeremy showed his true colours in the Commons
                            And the French are questioning it now. It was a shame a few more didn't question the WMD in Iraq. Just because a PM thinks something doesn't make it true.
                            Andy
                            bengeo.com

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: Salisbury nerve agent - just what the hell is that stuff?

                              Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                              The Wicki article has been updated at least twice today.
                              Yep never seen anything like it. Makes you think how an earth they update everything on there. Talk about labour intensive.
                              EM-1 MK1 - No website containing any of my photos until I'm good enough!

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: Salisbury nerve agent - just what the hell is that stuff?

                                Breaking: First Russian Agent expelled from the UK!










































                                ---------------

                                Naughty Nigel


                                Difficult is worth doing

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X