Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Regards
    Richard

Comment

Why not try Scotch ? It’s from the UK I believe so not impacted by brexit.
      Dave

My Flickr

Comment

After the UK leaves the EU, Theresa May is going to need all the friends she can muster on the global stage, if the U.K. is to avoid being isolated. On 30 August, she will be in Kenya to discuss security, corruption, trade deals and strengthening the UK/Kenya relationship.
        All the best

Phil
        https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Keeper View Post
          After the UK leaves the EU, Theresa May is going to need all the friends she can muster on the global stage, if the U.K. is to avoid being isolated. On 30 August, she will be in Kenya to discuss security, corruption, trade deals and strengthening the UK/Kenya relationship.
          Not too sure she will be there for Brexit so make the most of her visit to Kenya.
          Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
            https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-lord-kerslake

I really hope some sanity can prevail before Armageddon hits us.
            Yeahbut it's in The Guardian, and we all know what a 'leading Brexiteer' on this forum thinks of the paper. IIRC they read it "for laughs"!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Johnheatingman
              If I was a cynical person I may suggest Lord Kerslake is possibly biased, considering he is currently employed as an Advisor to the Labour Party.

John
              What's the Labour party got to do with it? They seem about as useless as the Tories so far as Brexit is concerned! No, I look at Kerslake as an ex chief of the Civil Service and therefore someone who knows what he's talking about.

Just how many experts need to speak out about the insanity of Brexit before a single Brexiteer admits that the whole idea will lead us to ruin? Should I believe Kerslake, or the Johnson, Farage and Gove trio ? Two of the trio are journalists and one a flash ex-city trader who has the bare faced cheek and shameless arrogance to continue accepting a pension from the EU as an ex MEP.

Ignoring experts seems to be the trend these days. While the west coast of America burns, Trump tells us that it's nothing to do with global warming, but caused by environmentalists who aren't chopping enough trees down! That thousands of climate researches are of a mind seems irrelevant compared to the wisdom of The Donald. I know who I would believe.
              Paul
              E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
              flickr
              Portfolio Site
              Instagram

Comment

The Civil Service knowing what they are talking about - hmm
                Same goes for politicians who all seem to come from the same PPE courses.

Have a read of this

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/08/...uent-chancers/

Here is an extract

" But for a successful civil servant, too, it’s crucial to stay on the move. Nowhere is that clearer than in the Department for Exiting the EU, where the National Audit Office found out that almost one in ten staff move on within three months —*a churn rate around four times the civil service average. Never mind being caught when the music stops. When it comes to Brexit, many of the civil servants will be far from the scene before it even starts."

or this little piece of info about our MPs

"one recent study suggests just 9 per cent of candidates at last year’s election had degrees in science or technology. This is true of only one of Labour’s 258 MPs: Chi Onwurah, an engineer."

We get what we vote for.
                Dave

My Flickr

Comment

For those who say now we know more about Brexit the UK would vote differently.

Have a read of this latest poll data done this week.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/704794...rexit-verdict/
                  Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post

Hmmmmmm. Personally I've no idea how the majority would vote in a referendum on the best negotiated Brexit deal, but I do have to take some of these published polls with a pinch of salt.
                    I would say that regardless of the outcome of the published poll, or indeed the subject matter.

Firstly "Deltapoll interviewed an online sample of 1,904 adults aged 18+ from August 14 to 16. Results have been weighted to the profile of all GB adults." (my emboldening)

How did they select the audience from which to conduct the poll?
                    Is it possible that there is an inherent bias based on audience selection?

Also a poll sponsored by The Sun, is always going to make me sceptical.
                    Who owns The Sun, and might they have a touch of bias, or a political agenda, themselves ?
                    I would ask the same question, regardless of who commissioned any poll.
                    Best Regards
                    Bill

The nearest I have to a home page.
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
                    They're Watching You!

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post

Yes, let's start having polls to find out how we would vote in a second referendum - far better than having an actual referendum!
                      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by peak4 View Post
                        Hmmmmmm. Personally I've no idea how the majority would vote in a referendum on the best negotiated Brexit deal, but I do have to take some of these published polls with a pinch of salt.
                        I would say that regardless of the outcome of the published poll, or indeed the subject matter.

Firstly "Deltapoll interviewed an online sample of 1,904 adults aged 18+ from August 14 to 16. Results have been weighted to the profile of all GB adults." (my emboldening)

How did they select the audience from which to conduct the poll?
                        Is it possible that there is an inherent bias based on audience selection?

Who owns The Sun, and might they have a touch of bias, or a political agenda, themselves ?
                        I would ask the same question, regardless of who commissioned any poll.

I agree with your comments, but remainers quote other polls to back their arguments, which can also be biased. So posted this for balance.

The only vote that mattered was the original one.
                        Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Ah yes, 'The Spectator' owned by the Barclay Brothers, who also own 'The Telegraph' - and also are loyal Brits. who live abroad!

I only read the above "for laughs"!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                            https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-lord-kerslake

I really hope some sanity can prevail before Armageddon hits us.
                            We should have a poll: who is for and who is against Armageddon.

Harold
                            The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by peak4 View Post
                              An precisely what is wrong with a poll of ex-page 3 girls?

Harold
                              The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                                Ah yes, 'The Spectator' owned by the Barclay Brothers, who also own 'The Telegraph' - and also are loyal Brits. who live abroad!

I only read the above "for laughs"!

Jim
                                Expected your response. How many labour MPs have a degree or equivalent level qualification in a scientific subject then? The article names only one, are you saying thats not the case?

To be fair the Conservatives and the others are not much better.
                                Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X