Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
    Greece is something else!...

My partner's sister lives in Athens. I said to my partner "Where do they put them all? I expect your sister's got one parked on her drive!".

Jm
    The last time I was in Greece - 60's - given the standard of driving, a Leopard tank would be the choice mode of transport to go shopping or sight-seeing.

Something to note, is that Greece funds more than the UK or any other EU member state towards NATO. This might explain the large number of Leopard taxi tanks.
    It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Originally posted by Johnheatingman
      I knew that !

John

Double damn!! I'm going to have to be more devious in future.
      It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Not sure where I have been for the last 3 hours. This thread seems to have gone in to a different dimension.
        Dave

My Flickr

Comment

We've all moved into "The Twilight Zone"

It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone. ( or maybe Brexit )

John
          That is very deep John.
          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Too deep for my brain Nigel ! It's the introduction wording to the TV series The Twilight Zone - First screened 1959 Showing my age now ! You're probably too much of a young Whipper Snapper to remember it

John
            I would have been three John, and I'm not even sure we had a television in 1959.

I know my parents didn't have a television for the Coronation in 1952 because they often spoke about crowding into a neighbour's house to watch it on a television there, which I was told had a 9" screen with a big lens in front of it.

I do know that we had a television in 1965 because we watched Sir Winston Churchill's funeral on it, and it was our turn to host neighbours who wanted to watch it!

That was in the 'good old days' when apart from special events the telly didn't work until after school, and ended with the National Anthem before midnight. BBC presenters spoke proper English too.

We didn't watch a lot of television at home. My mother always referred to it as the 'idiot's lantern' and swiftly turned it off when any rubbish came on. What she would make of Freeview now I hate to think.
            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

THe Coronation was in 1953 - see

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corona...f_Elizabeth_II

We had a 9" Bush TV with a plastic bubble suspended in front of the CRT.

We were advised to switcgh the telly off during the pauses in the action of the Coronation to help avoid the TVs burning out - never before had so many electrical devices running for so long.
              This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                ended with the National Anthem before midnight.
                Oh no it didn't - it ended with a white spot in the middle of the screen!

Jim

Comment

I remember my mum and dads first TV. It had a magnifying glass in front of the small screen.

Bring back the Wooden Tops I say, now they spoke a lot of sense.
                  Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                    Oh no it didn't - it ended with a white spot in the middle of the screen!

Jim
                    Yes you're right it did! I used to be fascinated by that little white spot .

And yes, the Coronation was in 1953, but that was long before my time.

Interestingly, 'The Pontop Pike transmitting station' (the main radio and television transmitter for Newcastle and Durham) was not due to start operation until 1955 I think, but this was brought forward to May 1953 by the BBC so that the Coronation could be broadcast to the area.

As much as I would have liked to see the Coronation live I think that as a small boy I would have much preferred to explore a real life submarine.
                    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

All this nostalgia for the 1950's ... Don't worry we'll soon be back there. I'm going to dig out my old ration book.
                      Andy
                      bengeo.com

Comment

• Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
                          I see the above poll is 52% to 48%...………

Now where did I come across that before????
                          So 52% want to Leave this thread and 48% want it to Remain.

I want a "peoples vote" and insist that before voting all members have to read all 888 posts (wow) on here and must vote.
                          Dave

My Flickr

Comment

I have read all 888 and insist that it remains.

Regards
                            Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
                              I have read all 888 and insist that it remains.

I want a re-vote until I get the answer that I want.
                              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Now this is getting too silly. (Enormous foot comes down from above and crushes the thread flat!)

Comment

Working...
                                X