Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

I think the key to it all is that when we leave the E.U., the E.U. will have no say in what we do. We won't even be obliged to notify them of any changes to the way we operate. That's why they need to clse the door on many collaborative projects.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
      Although (as you all may have gathered!) I believe that Brexit will be disastrous for the U.K., I accept that it will have to happen. The years that will follow will be of unprecedented austerity and the groundswell of opinion that the decision to leave was a huge mistake will put pressure on politicians to rejoin. Metaphorically, it will be a period of the U.K. public enduring massive doses of castor oil to purge the nonsense of Brexit out of their system, and bring them to their senses!

Jim

(I see the vote has now been 'manipulated' to close the thread!)

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
        Although (as you all may have gathered!) I believe that Brexit will be disastrous for the U.K., I accept that it will have to happen. The years that will follow will be of unprecedented austerity and the groundswell of opinion that the decision to leave was a huge mistake will put pressure on politicians to rejoin. Metaphorically, it will be a period of the U.K. public enduring massive doses of castor oil to purge the nonsense of Brexit out of their system, and bring them to their senses!

Jim

(I see the vote has now been 'manipulated' to close the thread!)
        Jim, it wasn't the mods who added the poll to this thread and we are not bound by it. Neither do we need to manipulate it - if we consider there is a need to close the thread we will close it. In the end it all comes down to how the debate is conducted by the members. We have decided to leave the thread open overnight and see how it goes.
        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
          Jim, it wasn't the mods who added the poll to this thread and we are not bound by it. Neither do we need to manipulate it - if we consider there is a need to close the thread we will close it. In the end it all comes down to how the debate is conducted by the members. We have decided to leave the thread open overnight and see how it goes.
          Yeah, I know - I was being ironic (do we have an emoji for 'ironic'?!!

Jim

Comment

Although (as you all may have gathered!) I believe that Brexit will be disastrous for the U.K., I accept that it will have to happen. The years that will follow will be of unprecedented austerity and the groundswell of opinion that the decision to leave was a huge mistake will put pressure on politicians to rejoin. Metaphorically, it will be a period of the U.K. public enduring massive doses of castor oil to purge the nonsense of Brexit out of their system, and bring them to their senses! Jim
            They do say that the easist person to con is another con artist.

By this token we are all con artists, which is why we are where we are, and why I'm still convinced, that Baldrick's 'cunning plan' is right on schedule.
            It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Sorry don't agree with the expats case.

If they are so keen on the UK why live elsewhere?
              Dave

My Flickr

Comment

I think the key to it all is that when we leave the E.U., the E.U. will have no say in what we do. We won't even be obliged to notify them of any changes to the way we operate. That's why they need to clse the door on many collaborative projects. Jim
                I would have thought, that at the level(s) of security we are talking about, it stands to reason there has been, and always will be, certain aspects that are not shared.

As for our beingl locked out, our troops in NATO - if I understand correctly - will be blocked from using/ receiving info from the new version(s) of satellite GPS. If, - and it is a big IF - true, then we all, really have lost the plot.

The latest incident in London that took place today was, - according to the reports - 'apparently' caused by an individual being in the UK to obtain an UK passport. Given that we've out-sourced passport production must surely raise more than Roger Moor's eybrow.

Comment

Given that we've out-sourced passport production must surely raise more than Roger Moor's eybrow.
                  Yeah - I'd forgotten about that one!. I'm so, so looking forwards to seeing our new blue/black 'sovereign' passports with 'Printed in the European Union' on them!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post

Well said!

Harold
                      The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
                        Well said!

Harold
                        Even more to the point is, why are various high-profile and rich Leavers leaving the UK to go and live elsewhere, if the Utopia that we will have after Brexit is so precious to them?

Comment

H'mm; I did some research regarding the number of Poles who came here in 2014, when that issue was causing howls of protest. What I discovered was that more Indians came here that year than Poles, according to the Office for National Statistics. No-one raised any concern about Indians coming here in such numbers; why not?

Comment

Originally posted by KeithL View Post
                            Even more to the point is, why are various high-profile and rich Leavers leaving the UK to go and live elsewhere, if the Utopia that we will have after Brexit is so precious to them?
                            Probably the same reason that wealthy Remainers keep their money in the Cayman Islands or Lichtenstein. It suits them.

I just wonder how many of those who are worried about the effects of Brexit on the UK economy continue to use Amazon?
                            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by KeithL View Post
                              H'mm; I did some research regarding the number of Poles who came here in 2014, when that issue was causing howls of protest. What I discovered was that more Indians came here that year than Poles, according to the Office for National Statistics. No-one raised any concern about Indians coming here in such numbers; why not?
                              Because they would have been branded 'racist' for doing so.
                              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                                Probably the same reason that wealthy Remainers keep their money in the Cayman Islands or Lichtenstein. It suits them.

I just wonder how many of those who are worried about the effects of Brexit on the UK economy continue to use Amazon?
                                Whatever I have researched about the issues involved, and over the 3 1/2 years I have contributed monthly to the political magazine, that's a helluva lot of research, I have found so many issues where the truth is very different from the various things claimed, and particularly that many issues that I would have thought critical, haven't even had a mention in the press. I think the whole issue is driven by the very rich who see opportunity after Brexit to make themselves even richer to an extent that they couldn't within the limitations imposed by the EU regs. Whatever happens, you can guarantee the rich will profit from it. It will be us plebs who have to suffer. 'Twas ever thus,

Comment

Working...
                                X