Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
    In the same way that Brexit has given the racists and xenophobes an excuse to promote their poisonous agenda - "if it wasn't Brexit they would find another excuse"!

Jim
    Jim

You really don't help by making statements like that.

You criticise the press but still seem to be blind to the real reasons why people voted to leave.

Throwing out insults gets you nowhere.
    Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
      The poisonous agenda would still be there Jim.

Pretending a problem doesn't exist doesn't make it go away. It never has and it never will.
      It's always been there as long as I can remember, it's just that Brexit has validated the racists and xenophobes opinions, giving them the confidence to express them less guardedly. I saw and heard enough of it in the large factory that I worked at for over 30 years.

Jim

Comment

It's always been there as long as I can remember, it's just that Brexit has validated the racists and xenophobes opinions, giving them the confidence to express them less guardedly. I saw and heard enough of it in the large factory that I worked at for over 30 years.

Jim
        Did you castigate and express your objections to your workplace colleagues for over 30 yrs., with the same attitude as you do in this forum about Brexiteers ?

Jax

Comment

Sadly some people have such a deep, ingrained and unhealthy hatred of 'opposing' individuals, groups or ideologies that it incontrovertibility clouds and colours their judgement, making them incapable of objectifying anything beyond a very narrow spectrum of opinions.

This is often seen as vile and illogical criticism of one group or another; suggesting that (for example) every member of said group would happily accept death, violence and serious injury in pursuit of their ideology even though this is clearly a fantasy. Meanwhile the commentator remains totally deaf and blind to the failings of those whose agendas they personally subscribe to.

In my view such hatred is just as poisonous and dangerous as the racism, xenophobia, homophobia, Islamophobia and other prejudices that we quite rightly reject.

Such attitudes are often the result of belonging to exclusive cults; usually led by eloquent and charismatic leaders who reject alternative views and beliefs. I therefore very much doubt that these attitudes can ever be adequately challenged on an internet forum.

Brexit is about politics, the British and European economies. For what its worth I don't believe the Brexit process validates the ignorant opinions of racists or xenophobes any more than other events in recent history.
          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Brexit is about politics, the British and European economies.
            Not for everyone. There were several reported instances immediately after the vote of foreigners having abuse shouted at them, such as 'Why haven't you gone home!'. And these were only the reported ones.

Jim

Comment

Not for everyone. There were several reported instances immediately after the vote of foreigners having abuse shouted at them, such as 'Why haven't you gone home!'. And these were only the reported ones.

Jim
              Probably by the same evil, ignorant individuals who would have shouted abuse..... Brexit or not.

Darkroom

Comment

I don't believe the Brexit process validates the ignorant opinions of racists or xenophobes any more than other events in recent history.

It certainly doesn't validate those opinions but it has provided an opportunity for those opinions to be voiced, and possibly an encouragement to voice them.
                Regards
                Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Darkroom View Post
                  Probably by the same evil, ignorant individuals who would have shouted abuse..... Brexit or not.

Darkroom
                  Exactly!

I know a pretty young lady who was born and raised in Scotland but has a Chinese mother. She has a naturally dark complexion, and being from a draughty part of Scotland quite often wears a head scarf.

Everything was fine until she went to Uni in Birmingham where she was often the subject of vile and hurtful racial abuse in the street. She graduated before the Brexit referendum was held so how does Brexit fit into the equation?

Ignorance defies logic. Blaming Brexit for such behaviour is illogical and unhelpful, and demonstrates a lack of objectivity.
                  ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Exactly!

I know a pretty young lady who was born and raised in Scotland but has a Chinese mother. She has a naturally dark complexion, and being from a draughty part of Scotland quite often wears a head scarf.

Everything was fine until she went to Uni in Birmingham where she was often the subject of vile and hurtful racial abuse in the street. She graduated before the Brexit referendum was held so how does Brexit fit into the equation?

Ignorance defies logic. Blaming Brexit for such behaviour is illogical and unhelpful, and demonstrates a lack of objectivity.
                    It does provide a good excuse though and a perception of validity to the ignorant racists.

Comment

Let's blame Brexit for everything then because we don't like it.

Shall we blame Brexit for the weather too?
                      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

That would be pushing it a bit too far, however given that this country seems ungoverned at the moment (due directly to Brexit) maybe we can find a way to bring the Met Office into the argument some how! They do occasionally get the forecast right and that feels a bit suspicious to me, it’s as if they have a hand in it.

Comment

ALL bad news is because of Brexit
                          ALL good news is despite Brexit.

Anyone who doesn't share my opinion on any topic should not be allowed to speak.
                          Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Can we type though?

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
                              Can we type though?
                              Only if what you type is fully authorised by the thought police in advance.
                              Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Let's blame Brexit for everything then because we don't like it.
                                Clearly racist abuse has increased following the Brexit vote. What do you attribute this to then, Nigel? Would you say the it was mere coincidence? Is the following BBC report 'Remainer lies'?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36634786

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X