Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
    If we do leave without a deal, there will be no Irish 'backstop' because that's part of 'the deal'. I understand that there's a legal requirement independent of membership of the E.U. to maintain the Good Friday Agreement, but I can't see how we can be outside of the E.U. and not have a hard land border with an E.U. member state. Vague references to 'technical solutions' are mentioned, without a hint of what form these may be.

Jim
    Since the Irish do a good deal of trade with its nearest land mass, it might make (some) sense if they were to submit their Article 50 and follow us. Better and stronger together.
    Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
      Since the Irish do a good deal of trade with its nearest land mass, it might make (some) sense if they were to submit their Article 50 and follow us. Better and stronger together.
      They clearly don't want to leave the E.U. (IIRC they receive lots of subsidies):

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...eals-1.3488112

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
        Can he really be worse?

https://news.sky.com/story/public-th...finds-11577913
        Dave

My Flickr

Comment

"Better and stronger together" is precisely why Brexit is a bad idea.
          Regards
          Richard

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
            Can he really be worse?
            There's zero chance that Labour will get in - the right wing media that form the opinion of a large number of the electorate will make sure of it!

Jim

Comment

There's zero chance that Labour will get in - the right wing media that form the opinion of a large number of the electorate will make sure of it! Jim

He did well last time despite that. But you do wonder .... this story from Scotland at the weekend doesn't seem to have made the main news here - https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/p...owars-13707574
              Andy
              bengeo.com

Comment

They clearly don't want to leave the E.U. (IIRC they receive lots of subsidies):

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...eals-1.3488112

Jim
                It does pi$$ me off that we're giving hand-outs to other countries - it's like working for a company and everyone is paid equally irrespective of skills and contribution etc. It's like a form of communism.
                Steve

on flickr

Comment

It does pi$$ me off that we're giving hand-outs to other countries - it's like working for a company and everyone is paid equally irrespective of skills and contribution etc. It's like a form of communism.
                  But, but, but - if Ireland has had EU cash, it's been from the regional development fund - and areas of the UK have benefited from that too.

Why do we always jump to the conclusion that we're subsidising others? Maybe we aren't quite so dandy ourselves you know!
                  Paul
                  E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                  flickr
                  Portfolio Site
                  Instagram

Comment

We have been the recipient of a huge amount of EU money as well over the years. It works both ways. The amount of money we pay to be part of the EU is peanuts as a proportion of total government spending, less than 2% I think (without looking it up).

Edit: I looked it up, nearer 1%
                    https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/gover...get/2017-10-31
                    Regards
                    Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
                      We have been the recipient of a huge amount of EU money as well over the years. It works both ways. The amount of money we pay to be part of the EU is peanuts as a proportion of total government spending, less than 2% I think (without looking it up).

Edit: I looked it up, nearer 1%
                      https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/gover...get/2017-10-31
                      Well now, there was an interesting fiddle a few years ago.

Southern Ireland received a lot of cash from the EU to boost tourism. Many people built big new houses and bungalows, usually painted yellow for some reason, with loads of bedrooms to set up B&B businesses. However, they always had permanent 'No Vacancies' signs hanging outside.

Maybe they received tax incentives for heating these massive homes with subsidised wood pellets as well.
                      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
                        Please can you provide evidence when the EU has given the UK more than we give them? We have always been a net contributor.
                        Dave

My Flickr

Comment

No I can't, but it doesn't bother me. I've always been a net contributor to the UK government too, despite now taking a state pension!
                          Regards
                          Richard

Comment

I'm not against continued membership of the EU and agree it better to be within to be able to veto unfavourable new initiatives. However, the EU has become too bureaucratic and I worry about the direction the elite establishment wish to proceed, ultimately forming a United States of Europe with governments of member countries becoming no more than local councils with no real control. The EU needs radical reform.
                            Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                              Please can you provide evidence when the EU has given the UK more than we give them? We have always been a net contributor.
                              I assumed this to be so.
                              Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                                We have always been a net contributor.
                                I assumed this to be so.
                                .... Which is precisely why they are making life as difficult as possible for the UK right now.

If we were Greece or Italy they would be pleased to be rid of us.
                                ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Working...
                                X