Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Depressing.
    Paul
    E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
    flickr
    Portfolio Site
    Instagram

Comment

https://mobile.twitter.com/SoVeryBre...39329779077120
      Regards,
      Mark

------------------------------
      http://www.microcontrast.com
      Too much Oly gear.
      Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15, 35-100, Laowa 7.5.
      Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
        I'm beginning to change my view of May's deal. This (very political) piece about May's press conference after the summit has got me thinking:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-brexit-dreams

I still think we should stay, but I'm beginning to think that no deal is better than this.
        We're stuffed either way so let's stop worrying about it and accept our fate. Or hope that Parliament is so divided that they fail to reach agreement on anything and Brexit just slithers away into the long grass without actually happening, due to complete political paralysis.
        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Entirely predictable, especially the 'Irish Question'.

I thought that this was a good comment:

"I think that the UK political class lost the plot during Thatcherism. They reinterpreted political, and hence social, power as economic and thence social power. They allowed a process of commodification to advance throughout our political institutions until anything was for sale, up to and including themselves. In this way a generation of the political class saw no point to themselves socio-politically except to using their intitutional place in enriching themselves. Commodification is a process that makes images of us all, saleable productions, and pastiche history is the result. We have been transformed into an advertisers entity with no sense of the grim realities of that history. Seeing the bigger picture for many seems to have become a 50 inch TV screen."

Jim

Comment

Briiliant! I've printed it out and it's now on our 'fridge door.

Jim

Comment

I think I will print it and put it in Xmas cards to known brexitters.
              This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                Entirely predictable, especially the 'Irish Question'.

I thought that this was a good comment:

"I think that the UK political class lost the plot during Thatcherism. They reinterpreted political, and hence social, power as economic and thence social power. They allowed a process of commodification to advance throughout our political institutions until anything was for sale, up to and including themselves. In this way a generation of the political class saw no point to themselves socio-politically except to using their intitutional place in enriching themselves. Commodification is a process that makes images of us all, saleable productions, and pastiche history is the result. We have been transformed into an advertisers entity with no sense of the grim realities of that history. Seeing the bigger picture for many seems to have become a 50 inch TV screen."

Jim

So Jim, what is your opinion of Piers Corbyn's interjections on Brexit and the EU question?

I quote:

Originally posted by Piers Corbyn
                THE ONLY WAY IS #NoDealBrexit. On 29 Mar 2019 all vestiges - flags, symbols, anything of EU in UK, must be destroyed. #HM #RoyalNavy must SEIZE back our #Fishing waters & remainist #MPs forced to resign. #TheresaMay is WORSE than Marshall #Petain of #Vichy #France
                What a family.

Edit: I should add that Piers Corbyn is (I quote) 'a Professional Weather Forecaster' who claims that global warming is a hoax driven by governments and 'big oil', and that the world need more CO2, not less.
                ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                  So Jim, what is your opinion of Piers Corbyn's interjections on Brexit and the EU question?

I quote:

What a family.

Edit: I should add that Piers Corbyn is (I quote) 'a Professional Weather Forecaster' who claims that global warming is a hoax driven by governments and 'big oil', and that the world need more CO2, not less.
                  Let's have a link so we can read it properly and in context!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                    Let's have a link so we can read it properly and in context!

Jim
                    Have a look at Piers Corbyn's Twitter page.

And here's another from the BBC.

'Treacherous Blairite councillors' indeed. I thought the happy comrades all sang the Red Flag together.
                    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Another interesting viewpoint on Brexit from the Spectator.
                      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Excellent article - but the true reality will of course be ignored by remainers.
                        It's in the wrong newspaper for a start.
                        Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                          Excellent article - but the true reality will of course be ignored by remainers.
                          It's in the wrong newspaper for a start.
                          Well, I read it and I'm not ignoring it. I think it's a valid point and well made. It's clear that the Irish have played a better hand than we have. It doesn't mean that any of this tragic escapade has anything to recommend it though!
                          Paul
                          E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                          flickr
                          Portfolio Site
                          Instagram

Comment

Another view:

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top...news-1-5793470

and: https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top...exit-1-5789169
                            Regards
                            Richard

Comment

Comment

Be Prepared! As an Ye Olde Boy Scout, I've been practicing my one man band routine for many months. Not sure about anyone else... but I also have my pop-up tent, cold weather gear and begging bowl ready for both myself and my doggy friend. All I have to do now is find out the location of the nearest soup kitchen and book my place in the forthcoming queue.

Takes me back to when - 'Please sir, can I have some more' - I were a lad.
                                It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Working...
                                X