Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 10 - Fall feature update

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
    I'm rapidly losing patience with Microsoft! Far more rapidly than the installation of the Windows 10, version 1709

It started two day and ago and has still not finished...
    I hope it's not a laptop plugged-in for the duration, if so you could end up 'cooking' the battery, ie reducing the working life. Best cycled between 20-80, but difficult if left unattended whilst Windows does its own thing, in its own time.

I'm so glad I did not 'upgrade' to W10 (the word being Microsoft's description, not mine).
    Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
      I hope it's not a laptop plugged-in for the duration, if so you could end up 'cooking' the battery, ie reducing the working life. Best cycled between 20-80, but difficult if left unattended whilst Windows does its own thing, in its own time.

I'm so glad I did not 'upgrade' to W10 (the word being Microsoft's description, not mine).
      The battery on this was "cooked" by my son when he had it...

I subscribe to the 20-80 "rule" for my iPhone 6, but older batteries seem to be ok being fully charged.

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

My download parked at 67% for about an hour then sprang to life and completed in under a minute. I did check on the machine whilst it was stuck and nothing unusual was happening with no I/O, CPU, ethernet or mem contention so very unclear what the problem was. On hindsight I wish I'd done a trace route at the time to see if a squeeze point showed up.

However once it downloaded the update was problem free.

Hec
        I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.

Comment

I'm trying the 'Fail' Update! It downloaded OK, but now after several hours I've just got a small circle of dots, chasing each other at the bottom of the screen! I guess if I power cycle I'm going to end up with a corrupted system (A Windows 10 installation _is_ a corrupted system anyway!).

I could have installed Linux on 10 computers during this update process!

Absolutely, totally, 100% mega dire - I can't express my revulsion at W10 strongly enough. I feel like upgrading to Windows 98!

Jim

Comment

Hi for the first time I have had an issue with Widows 10, is with this latest update, I have spent nearly two days sorting out the mess it has caused me, but lost s lot of data files and folders, plus the loss of a complete folder containing a number of images.
            Why it has deleted these folders god knows, it also altered the configuration of some of my programmes, it]s going to take me months to sort it all out.

this must be the worst update ever.
            My Published Book: http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/2771168

Comment

Originally posted by Johnheatingman
              I get the impression you're not a Win10 fan Jim
              It's hor-effing-rendous!

Jim

Comment

One of the Win10 machines in our household keeps loosing the ability to left click on the start menu which makes shutting it down a little tedious; and then on restarting it just shows the looping dots. A full power recycle at this point seems to do the trick but then we've only left it for 10 or 15 minutes... not hours or days.
                Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                Learn something new every day

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post

My laptop stays 'plugged in' all the time.
                  Ross
                  I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                  Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                  Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                  Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                  Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                  Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Pardon my ignorance (being a win7 user), but what is this Fall Feature update? An American 'Autumn Feature'?
                    Ross
                    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
                      Pardon my ignorance (being a win7 user), but what is this Fall Feature update? An American 'Autumn Feature'?
                      Forget it Ross - you really don't want to know! It's a big pile of dingo's doo-doos!

Jim

Comment

Does it still have a working battery ?

John
                        Yes, when I occasionally unplug it for show & tell with skyping.
                        Ross

Comment

Obviously a man with hidden talents
                          Not 'that' show & tell!

I only use skype to keep in touch with family.
                          Ross

Comment

Interesting. I never have problems with updates, in fact I sometimes don't even notice they've happened. Not had 1709 yet, though. And we have three Windows machines actively used here in the house (not including my daughters' PCs).

Ian
                            Founder and editor of:
                            Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                            Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                            Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                            Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                            NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                              Interesting. I never have problems with updates, in fact I sometimes don't even notice they've happened. Not had 1709 yet, though. And we have three Windows machines actively used here in the house (not including my daughters' PCs).

Ian
                              1709 "FALL" edition is virtually a new install with added security, said to combat ransom ware and the like. There was a big download of Defender that followed the main install.

While I have a 200M broardband, the laptop wifi will only do 30M. But it was the "Preparing to install" that took the time and was using 100% CPU and Disk
                              Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Interesting - this machine is running 1703 and says it is up to date, having checked this morning.
                                Regards
                                Richard

Comment

Working...
                                X