X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeithL
    replied
    Re: Refurbished Dell Computer

I've bought several refurbs off Tier One Online, and found them pretty good. When I had a problem with one computer I bought, I shipped just the main unit back, and another came the following day. No hassle. However, since I now buy Macs, you can get good Mac refurbs direct from Apple, and at only slightly higher price.

Refurbished computers are big business these days!

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Another vote for Dell Outlet - have bought several laptops from them at around a third off the new price and they looked brand new. The only negative is that it can take a couple of weeks for delivery as they 'build' the laptop in Hungary and it's shipped in a rather leisurely fashion after being released.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian; 23rd August 2017, 11:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• OM USer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MJ224
    replied

Sounds a good way to go..............

Leave a comment:

• timboo
    replied

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
    Many thanks for that link. Scan seem to be pretty good with a warranty etc.

Will be looking at what they have closely.

Worth ringing their sales team as they are very knowledgable wont try selling you something you dont need they are always honest with their approach and a very good source of information they will tell you if something is unreliable. Cant beat someone in the know telling you if something is good or naff. With laptops and batteries it is essential to be armed with the practical statistics opposed to the manufacturer as they can be worlds apart.
    One example Springs to mind when I purchased a PSU I had my mind set on a particular Corsair PSU they informed me that certain internal parts had been reduced quality wise and can go wrong. They recommended a different brand, which was cheaper and to date its still working. Think I bought it around 4-5 yrs ago from memory.

Leave a comment:

• MJ224
    replied

Originally posted by timboo View Post
    i can recommend scan computers, based in Bolton and arguebly one of the largest retailers for anything computer wise.
    I have used them for just about every component purchase and their customer service has been flawless in the past, having had a part go wrong before the returns process is very fair and swift.
    Here is a link to their refurb laptops.

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer...bished-laptops

Worth keeping an eye on as it constantly changes they also have a 'today only section' covering an aray of items.
    There prices are generally cheaper than anyone else due to the volume they shift.
    Many thanks for that link. Scan seem to be pretty good with a warranty etc.

Will be looking at what they have closely.

Leave a comment:

• MJ224
    replied

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
    Link returns "0 results". The catch is that it doesn't exist!

Jim
    Yes they have taken it down, most likely after I asked if the price was correct...

Sounds like an administrative cock-up to me.............

Leave a comment:

• Naughty Nigel
    replied

Originally posted by timboo View Post
    i can recommend scan computers, based in Bolton and arguebly one of the largest retailers for anything computer wise.
    I have used them for just about every component purchase and their customer service has been flawless in the past, having had a part go wrong before the returns process is very fair and swift.
    I would second that recommendation. I have dealt with Scan many times and have found them to be first class.

Thanks for that Nigel.

The spec sounds so good,,,,,but we do learn don't we.

Will certainly look at the other options that you have kindly researched.

The spec is perfectly good - for a seven year old computer. And that is just the point.

Shop around and I'm sure you will find something much better.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Ford
    replied

Ebay amazing deal...................

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-FX553...AAAOSwdtlZmTXv
    Link returns "0 results". The catch is that it doesn't exist!

Jim

Leave a comment:

• timboo
    replied

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer...bished-laptops

Worth keeping an eye on as it constantly changes they also have a 'today only section' covering an aray of items.
    There prices are generally cheaper than anyone else due to the volume they shift.

Leave a comment:

• MJ224
    replied

Postage worldwide..................

I have asked if the price is right.. No answer yet.

Maybe Ross would like one.

Gotta be 2good2btrue...........

Leave a comment:

• Otto
    replied

It's in Australia!!

Leave a comment:

• MJ224
    replied

Ebay amazing deal...................

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-FX553...AAAOSwdtlZmTXv

Leave a comment:

• MJ224
    replied

Thanks for that Nigel.

The spec sounds so good,,,,,but we do learn don't we.

Will certainly look at the other options that you have kindly researched.

Leave a comment:

• Naughty Nigel
    replied

I have just had a look, and agree it looks like a reasonable deal.

However
    , the vendor has been very careful to avoid giving any specific information about the machines, including their age and the generation of processor. All of this information is readily available form the machine itself if they wanted to provide it.

From my research it seems the Dell Latitude E6410 is a 'face lifted' or 'revised' machine that was sold around 2010. Reviews from the time rated it highly, but 2010 is fairly old by laptop standards.

The i5 CPU is an older generation with a TDP of about 35 Watts, so battery life will be reasonable, but not the best.

One review I found said the following:

"Battery Life
    Dell was kind enough to include a higher-capacity 9-cell battery with our review unit, with the standard being a 60Wh 6-cell battery. We were pretty happy with our results, given the higher-end processor and graphics card configuration. With the screen brightness reduced to 70%, wireless on and refreshing a webpage every 60 seconds, and Windows set to the Balanced profile, the Latitude E6410 stayed on for 7 hours and 2 minutes. During the test we measured an average power consumption rate between 10-12 watts."
    www.Dabs.com

Leave a comment:

Working...
X