• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naughty Nigel
    replied
    Re: Olympus Service & Brexit?

At the risk of repeating myself:

There have been some utterly brilliant images and cartoons around over the past few days. It is almost worth the pain for the laughter.

Leave a comment:

• DerekW
    replied

It looks pretty bleak outside, perhaps snow - so he has definitely been frozen out of the PLP

Leave a comment:

• Wee man
    replied

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
    I like the expression on Jeremy's face. "Is that a car arriving?"
    Surely "please let that be a car arriving "?

Wee Man

Leave a comment:

• Naughty Nigel
    replied

Originally posted by Wee man View Post
    Should that not read now I am Labour?

Wee Man
    I like the expression on Jeremy's face. "Is that a car arriving?"

Leave a comment:

• Wee man
    replied

Should that not read now I am Labour?

Wee Man

Leave a comment:

• Naughty Nigel
    replied

This one made me chuckle too.

Jeremy Corbyn holds crisis talks with his Shadow Cabinet.

Leave a comment:

• Ross the fiddler
    replied

I don't know if this would lighten the moment or just offend & I'm sorry if it does. Anyhow, here it is.

Leave a comment:

• Grumpy Hec
    replied

I have made up my mind to move on and try and reconcile myself to the events of the last few days. That will be hard but my final comment in this forum on the subject is to include this link to an excellent article which summarises my feeling far more eloquently than I posssibly could.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...P=share_btn_tw

Hec

Leave a comment:

• Naughty Nigel
    replied

Would Scotland even be accepted given the current low value of its oil?

(Remember that Alex Salmond's calculations were based on oil at something like $140 a barrel.)

Leave a comment:

• Ricoh
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Naughty Nigel
    replied

Indeed. We have spoilt their spending plans.

One of the claims made by the Leave team, (and not denied by Project Fear) is that the EU and the Euro are both heading for financial disaster anyway, and that we are better off out of it.

How many bailouts can the European Central Bank afford to give to Greece, Ireland, Spain, Italy, et al?

If you find yourself belonging to a club that has a rotten committee, is not too choosy about who I admits as members, and is only interested in collecting membership fees to spend on pet projects it is probably best to get out before they take the shirt from your back.

I am a pragmatist, and for that reason I didn't want us to leave the EU, but I can see many reasons why we might just be better off if we look beyond the end of next week.

Leave a comment:

• Beagletorque
    replied

With the interest rate on the national debt

Leave a comment:

• Dewi9
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Crazy Dave
    replied

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
    A very interesting observation by your colleague!

Although a baby during WW2, my German wife carries a mountain of guilt for what was carried out by Germany during the Nazi regime. I told her years ago that there is no difference between the character of the British and Germans, and that given the same circumstances prevailing in Britain as there were in Germany following WW1, Britain would have trodden a similar path.

The Referendum exposed a deep xenophobia in the electorate and an all too readiness to follow the rantings of a right wing ideologue. The current situation has strong echoes of early 30s Germany!

Jim
    Jim, I have just read through this thread and while I understand your views especially as your wife is German, I cannot agree with your analysis that given the same conditions, British people would have behaved the same. My father was there at the battle of Cable Street as were thousands of others bent on disrupting the fringe idiots lead by Mosley. Would we have engaged in mindless genocide, I think not.

Just read the reaction by the photographer Lee Miller when she arrived after the German surrender. I have had dozens of German colleagues, as always there were some I liked and respected. Others, I despised. One was my senior manager who lectured me on the conduct and effectiveness of the ordinary German soldier during WW11. My response was to say "is that what happened in Oradur-sur-Glane, the basis of your assessment? Needless to say, my career path was never the same.

It pains me to write in these terms, my family has been deeply affected by two wars with our German neighbours and try as I might, the anger runs very deep.

Regards

David

Leave a comment:

• pdk42
    replied

Originally posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
    On re-reading my post of a few minutes ago I may have gone too far in my comments and overstepped the mark in the context of the lounge

If so please accept my apologies and if the moderators deem it appropriate I will very much understand if they delete the post.

Hec
    Never look back! I agree with your sentiments entirely Hec. My two kids are 15 and 13 and I too feel worried for their future following this. I detested Blair, especially for taking us into Iraq, but I think Cameron has probably trumped him in my estimation.

I feel that we need a new generation of politicians and a new agenda for the nation. I deeply fear a Boris/Gove government and whilst Theresa May might be more conciliatory, I can't see how can she bring any passion and vision to this mess.

I have a vague hope that a leader will emerge in the Labour ranks who can re-form the party into something that re-engages the country and gets to the root of fixing the terrible income inequality we have:

https://thecurrentmoment.wordpress.c...ality-poverty/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X