Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imageryone
    replied
    Re: New descriptions for old concepts....

Originally posted by Minniesmum View Post
    btw I started this thread as a bit of tongue in cheek fun. I guess I thought the " Lounge" was meant not to be taken too seriously......
    And so it is, we just get a bit sidetracked when the occasion demands

Another use of " off the grid " - invisible to official government eyes.

Leave a comment:

• Harold Gough
    replied

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
    Do you mean Co. Durham?

We have done that many times when the fridge has been full at Christmas.
    There are fewer bears to steal it than e.g. Canada.

Although freezing was not an issue, we had to be careful where we put our sprouts-on-the-stalk outside, to keep them fresh for Christmas, as we get deer visiting our garden most nights.

Harold

Leave a comment:

• Naughty Nigel
    replied

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
    Off grid does not mean living in a yurt or tent - it means living in a part of the world where you want to live.
    Which I do; although we have internet, mains gas and electricity!

There are other parts oft he world that I would like to live in; not all of which are within the United Kingdom, but being mortal I can only be in one place at a time.

Leave a comment:

• Minniesmum
    replied

btw I started this thread as a bit of tongue in cheek fun. I guess I thought the " Lounge" was meant not to be taken too seriously......

Leave a comment:

• Minniesmum
    replied

Off grid does not mean living in a yurt or tent - it means living in a part of the world where you want to live.
    the definition of " off-grid" is different for everyone. There is no fixed definition other than the reference to grid which generally refers to the national grid or mains electric

Leave a comment:

• DerekW
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Minniesmum
    replied

Do you mean Co. Durham?

Ditto here in Teeside

Leave a comment:

• Naughty Nigel
    replied

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
    If it is so cold in winter, why don't they store frozen food outside, as they do in the far north, and save power?

Harold
    Do you mean Co. Durham?

Leave a comment:

• Minniesmum
    replied

Doesn't that rather defeat the object?
    that's what I thought......

Leave a comment:

• Naughty Nigel
    replied

internet via Satellite
    Doesn't that rather defeat the object?

Leave a comment:

• Harold Gough
    replied

Originally posted by Minniesmum View Post
    I'm sure it can be done however you need a fair bit of cash investment to set everything up to start with. Heat by firewood means installing a wood furnace or stove with flu, solar panels aren't cheap. Arizona has long, very cold winters and I guess you would need to get supplies in and use a freezer for food. Many folk in my native Nova Scotia have petrol powered generators as back-up so I guess you could use one of those to generate leccie for a freezer, etc.
    If it is so cold in winter, why don't they store frozen food outside, as they do in the far north, and save power?

Harold

Leave a comment:

• Minniesmum
    replied

I met an "off the grid ' person last October, they lived just outside of Show Low in Arizona, they had Solar panels - storing spare electricity in batteries, internet via Satellite and endless supply of fire wood (they lived in a forested mountainous area). They had a well and small waste/toilet system.

I think that they had to drive a bit to get Cell phone coverage (mobile phone to us Brits) but then in the UK reliable cell phone coverage would also be a luxury <g>
    I'm sure it can be done however you need a fair bit of cash investment to set everything up to start with. Heat by firewood means installing a wood furnace or stove with flu, solar panels aren't cheap. Arizona has long, very cold winters and I guess you would need to get supplies in and use a freezer for food. Many folk in my native Nova Scotia have petrol powered generators as back-up so I guess you could use one of those to generate leccie for a freezer, etc.

Leave a comment:

• DerekW
    replied

I met an "off the grid ' person last October, they lived just outside of Show Low in Arizona, they had Solar panels - storing spare electricity in batteries, internet via Satellite and endless supply of fire wood (they lived in a forested mountainous area). They had a well and small waste/toilet system.

I think that they had to drive a bit to get Cell phone coverage (mobile phone to us Brits) but then in the UK reliable cell phone coverage would also be a luxury <g>

Leave a comment:

• Minniesmum
    replied

I love Leccie also love the outdoors and wild-camping, but sometimes one feels the need to go on EHU. Best of both worlds

Leave a comment:

• Harold Gough
    replied

I suspect that "going off the grid" has the same origins as "back to square one" The grid was of a football pitch and was published in Radio Times in the 1920s to enable commentators to tell radio listeners where the action currently was.

In other words, it meant "out of touch". I will resist temptation!

Harold

Leave a comment:

Working...
X