Buying into another system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying into another system

I've been curious how full frame compares to m43 in IQ, dynamic range etc but I've never fancied lugging about a FF kit as the size and weight puts me off.
    Recently a mate bought the Sony A7ii with a couple of Sony zooms. I was impressed with the body, very nice, small and compact, not much bigger than the EM1 if at all bigger. The 2 lenses were large compared to m43, he had a 16-35 f4.0 and 24-280 so equivalent to m43 7-14 (more or less) and 14-140, the lenses were much bigger and heavier.
    However I was impressed and today bit the bullet and ordered the Sony A7ii and will order the 55mm f1.8 Ziess prime lens and see how I like it and consider more lens options after I've had a play.
    The A7ii and 55mm lens both get stella reviews so I'm interested to see how it compares to my EM5 ii and m43 lenses. (I have the Lumix 25 f1.4 prime so that will be an excellent comparison).
    It's not my intention to get rid of m43 but use the Sony setup for landscape and more close up stuff and use the m43 for telephoto work (the 40-150 Pro with TC and EM5ii). Also m43 will be my light travel kit, although depending what lenses I end up with for the A7ii if I use a few primes then it may not be very cumbersome.
    Anyway I'm looking forward to playing about and seeing the results.
    I like printing A2 size so I'm curious if I'll get better more detailed prints from the FF camera.

Paul

Paul
    E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
    flickr
    Portfolio Site
    Instagram

Comment

Re: Buying into another system

I'm with Paul on this, Paul
      Still, wouldn't say no and may well join you in the Sony camp later.
      I much prefer having a "one system does all" setup - even though I still have my Canon gear.
      Hopefully I will get to take a few shots with your new setup when you get back onshore.
      You never know, you may change my mind

Mike
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/eos-mike/

www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

Comment

Comment

Paul (pdk42), If you think the price of a Sony FE lens is 'eye watering', have a look at the cost of a Leica M 50/f1.4, as an example
          Steve

on flickr

Comment

This will be an interesting comparison, especially if you print large. I'm looking forward to your conclusions.
            John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Kiwi Paul, there's no doubt a FF file will impress you. As a retirement present I bought myself an M240 together with a 35mm/f2 ASPH (I'm a one lens shooter so far). The RAW files are so so malleable, if required, but in fact I'm finding I have to do so little in PP, to the extent I thought I was doing something wrong when I started processing the Leica files.
              But let's give credit to the Olympus product, it does a very credible job for a fraction of the cost.
              Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
                Kiwi Paul, there's no doubt a FF file will impress you. As a retirement present I bought myself an M240 together with a 35mm/f2 ASPH (I'm a one lens shooter so far). The RAW files are so so malleable, if required, but in fact I'm finding I have to do so little in PP, to the extent I thought I was doing something wrong when I started processing the Leica files.
                But let's give credit to the Olympus product, it does a very credible job for a fraction of the cost.
                I'll soon find out, yes m43 is excellent, and I'm planning on keeping my m43 kit. The A7ii is pretty much the same price range as the top m43 bodies so I don't see where folk are getting the idea it's so expensive. The lenses are in the same ball park as equivalent m43 lenses too, there are some expensive ones but not all. You can buy the Canon adapter and then have access to all the Canon lenses too, new and old.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
                  Holy moly, I see what you mean about the M240, it's not for the budget minded lol

Paul

Comment

I'll be interested to see how things work out. I recently bought a Nikon df, partly because it's about as compact as a FF dSLR can get (about the same size as the higher end E System cameras originally were) and also because it has such as fantastic sensor (16MP FF sensor from the D4 is giving some lovely results).

I tend to be a prime lens person most of the time, so I'm happy with a handful of relatively cheap and compact Nikkor AF-D lenses complete with aperture rings so I can use the camera the way I learned - aperture ring, shutter speed dial, etc...and I'm loving it.

But the big but is good quality zoom lenses, which are big and expensive for FF dSLRs. It's not a problem for me as I'm not planning on buying fast zooms, but if you're seriously into those then you'd need to be happy carrying some bulky lenses which aren't exactly discrete....
                    thephotographersblock.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Paul View Post
                      The prices are much the same
                      Hi Paul - you know, I didn't really believe you at first, but I did some checking of equivalent lenses to u43 lenses I already own. Using Amazon prices I can see that in fact there isn't a big difference - unless you go looking at the Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses. Except for the small primes (28 and 35), they do tend to be bigger though. However, for a minimal kit, it's probably not a huge difference, particularly if you compare to the Oly Pro lenses which are all quite big.
                      Paul
                      E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                      flickr
                      Portfolio Site
                      Instagram

Comment

---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Olympus introduced a FF camera themselves. Unless, that is, there's a revolution in electronics allowing the smaller sensor to resolve photons as well as a larger FF sensor, if not it could end up in decline. But any developments in light measurement techniques will flow through to the 35mm FF as well, so everyone wins.
                          Steve

on flickr

Comment

OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

That seems an aweful lot more than an E-M1 and a 60mm Macro!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Scroll To Top Scroll To Center Scroll To Bottom