Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Question Time (Political)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question about Question Time (Political)

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
    Maybe a truly hung parliament with not even a coalition able to muster a majority will force change. To his credit, Miliband has categorically ruled out any kind of deal with the SNP - only time will tell if he sticks to that if the situation arises.
    I guess you didn't read my previous post then, John....

Comment

Originally posted by KeithL View Post
      I guess you didn't read my previous post then, John....
      Oh, I did. Just putting my own thoughts on the situation. I think it is very commendable that Miliband has been far more specific about possible coalitions or deals than any of the other leaders, but my ingrained lack of trust for any politician causes me to be cautious!
      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Interesting scenario mooted on the Daily Politics today.

From the current polling figures, the Conservatives will return the greatest number of seats and with a Liberal and other right of centre parties coalition could get enough seats to form a minority coalition.

However their Queen's speech can be defeated by a combined Labour/SNP vote against.

On the other hand Labour can form a similar coalition (without the SNP) to get enough seats to form a minority government with more seats than the Conservative party.

The Conservatives could not garner enough support without the SNP to get the Labour Queen's Speech voted down.

Therefore, the most likely turnout will be a Minority Labour government.

(Unless the SNP do the unthinkable and side with the Conservatives)

Sid

Comment

Originally posted by son of sid View Post
          Interesting scenario mooted on the Daily Politics today.

From the current polling figures, the Conservatives will return the greatest number of seats and with a Liberal and other right of centre parties coalition could get enough seats to form a minority coalition.

However their Queen's speech can be defeated by a combined Labour/SNP vote against.

On the other hand Labour can form a similar coalition (without the SNP) to get enough seats to form a minority government with more seats than the Conservative party.

The Conservatives could not garner enough support without the SNP to get the Labour Queen's Speech voted down.

Therefore, the most likely turnout will be a Minority Labour government.

(Unless the SNP do the unthinkable and side with the Conservatives)

Sid
          We can but live in hope..

Comment

Oh, I did. Just putting my own thoughts on the situation. I think it is very commendable that Miliband has been far more specific about possible coalitions or deals than any of the other leaders, but my ingrained lack of trust for any politician causes me to be cautious!
            I have tended to be quite negative about him until recently, but I think he's coming into his own now. I do think he's a decent guy; but being decent in politics isn't necessarily wise. Certainly hasn't for him so far. I suspect that my Machiavellian thoughts on the situation won't be far out. As you say, only time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
              Wasn't that 'Not the Nine O'clock News'?
              Yes, it was a great series, wasn't it.

The best sketch was the 'Swedish Pharmacist' one!

Jim

Comment

For all you lefties on here, are you happy to pass on trillions of debt to your children and their children. You may be, I'm certainly not. Labour will double or triple the national debt in the blink of an eye. To them it's not real money, it's toy-town money, so just a joke if they over spend. Take the well known letter from Liam Byrne, chukka 'whatever his name' will probably photocopy the original and scribble his own message. But instead of saying there's no money left, he'll write his own note: 'sorry, we've sunk the UK, so over to you to sort it out, good luck!'.
                Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
                  For all you lefties on here, are you happy to pass on trillions of debt to your children and their children. You may be, I'm certainly not. Labour will double or triple the national debt in the blink of an eye. To them it's not real money, it's toy-town money, so just a joke if they over spend. Take the well known letter from Liam Byrne, chukka 'whatever his name' will probably photocopy the original and scribble his own message. But instead of saying there's no money left, he'll write his own note: 'sorry, we've sunk the UK, so over to you to sort it out, good luck!'.
                  Firstly, Labour as it is nowadays is NOT a left wing party. We have three (4 with UKIP) Thatcherite parties, all to the right of the old-style Conservatives of pre-Thatcher days.

Secondly, between 1997 and 2008, before they had to bail out the banks, the Blair-Brown administration reduced the National Debt from 42% to 36% of GDP. That is a FACT, and the figures are the government's own. If the banks hadn't done basically the same as they did in the run up to the 1929 Wall St crash, we would have been in a very good position.

It's the current incumbents who don't know how to run an economy. Austerity is no way to reduce the National Debt, it reduces the Treasury's take in taxes. We had a National Debt of 250% of GDP in 1945, and that was reduced very effectively by governments of both colours. But those governments used Keynesian economics, instead of the Reaganonomics that Thatcher picked up on. If we keep on the path we are on at the moment the country will go bust before long.

This is a quote from the website "Economics Help": "A key factor in the UK double dip recession, was the government’s pursuit of austerity measures in 2010 and 2011. The coalition claim they had no choice because the previous government had left them with a large deficit, I don’t agree. The coalition could have taken more time to reduce the long-term deficit; the pace of austerity was self-defeating and unnecessary. A recession is not the time to reduce the deficit.

However, it is also possible, that even if we had lower public sector debt and lower budget deficits, the coalition may still have wanted to tackle the budget deficit and still pursued austerity. Austerity policies arguably appeal to Conservatives for many reasons – such as reducing welfare and the size of the state.

To some extent, the budget deficits of 2000s made it harder to get out of the recession. By 2010, there was less room for manoeuvre. Though, the coalition also greatly exaggerated the necessity of having to tackle the deficit in the short term."

Comment

Red ed is not left of centre, that's a good one.
                    Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by KeithL View Post
                      You are very ready to blame Labour, Nigel, but it was no different under the Conservatives of the 70s either. And it's worth remembering that Callaghan's government was a minority government in 79, so could hardly govern effectively - as would be the case now with a minority government, regardless of party.
                      Callaghan didn't govern at all as I remember it. He invited the union barons to No 10 for beer and sandwiches and let them do the job - very badly!

Heath & Co. hardly covered themselves in glory either, but the Tories were blocked at every turn by Labour at the behest of the unions.
                      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Thanks for replying and saving me the trouble.

I'd just like to add that if Thatcher hadn't engineered a shift from a diverse economy (in which manufacturing was still an important part) to an unhealthy reliance upon financial services, the global banking crisis would not have affected the UK as severely as it did. That's where the bulk of the debt has come from. Granted, Blair is culpable for not reversing the trend set by the crazy lady.
                        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                          Callaghan didn't govern at all as I remember it. He invited the union barons to No 10 for beer and sandwiches and let them do the job - very badly!

Heath & Co. hardly covered themselves in glory either, but the Tories were blocked at every turn by Labour at the behest of the unions.
                          How far back do you want to go? In my opinion we have not had an effective and visionary prime minister, with the interests of those who are nowadays patronisingly referred to as "hard-working families up and down the country" truly at heart, since Clement Attlee.
                          John

Comment

I'd just like to add that if Thatcher hadn't engineered a shift from a diverse economy (in which manufacturing was still an important part) to an unhealthy reliance upon financial services, the global banking crisis would not have affected the UK as severely as it did. That's where the bulk of the debt has come from. Granted, Blair is culpable for not reversing the trend set by the crazy lady.
                            I was never too sure whether Thatcher's destruction of our manufacturing industry was part of her economic plan, or whether she saw factories and shipyards as hotbeds of communism and union power that must be dismantled at all costs.

It does seem rather ironic that having taught the world how to build railways we now rely on the Japanese and Italians (amongst others) to build trains for us!

Even the National Coal Board, in Labour days, was ordering coal ships from Japan when we still had the capability to build them here.
                            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

How far back do you want to go? In my opinion we have not had an effective and visionary prime minister, with the interests of those who are nowadays patronisingly referred to as "hard-working families up and down the country" truly at heart, since Clement Attlee.
                              "Hard working families" started as a Blair term didn't it?

I would probably agree with you about Clement Attlee, although in fairness, Harold Wilson did bring in some progressive social legislation.
                              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Thanks for replying and saving me the trouble.

Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
                                OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
                                Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

Working...
                                X