Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doomed, the whole World is doomed! (Political)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Doomed, the whole World is doomed!

John I think a lot of pensions went to 1/80ths from 1/60ths quite a while ago. Mine certainly did
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

As for unaffordable promise, the Triple Lock on State Pensions seems due to be picked over the next 2-3 decades:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...n-six-MPs.html

Harold
      The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
        Greg, I couldn't agree more. What I fail to understand is, if the Public Sector is such an easy way to make a living and all at the expense of the Private Sector, why don't those poor, downtrodden souls in the Private Sector get cushy, overpaid jobs in the Public Sector instead?

Public Sector workers must tire of hearing over and over and over again that they are being paid for by someone else. Who are these Public Sector workers anyway? The policeman who has just risked his life arresting a dangerous criminal, the surgeon who has just saved a life, the firefighter who has just carried someone from a burning building, or maybe the social worker who was just about to knock off early at 6.30pm but ended up working until midnight because a mother and children had fled from domestic violence and needed emergency accomodation.

Just think who you would prefer to be first on the scene if you were badly injured in a car crash, a lawyer, banker, accountant, company director or paramedic? So who is worth the most money?

But what about the "Gold Plated " pensions? Actually, compared to my banking pension, I was quite surprised to learn that my friend (an FE lecturer) gets only 80th increments for each year worked (compared to my 60th), has now got to work an extra 5 years before he can receive it and has to pay an extra £70 per month contribution on top of what he already pays.

But what if we could drive Public Sector pay down even more? That would leave workers with less disposable income and who would suffer - the Private Sector through lost business, and don't forget that this loss would be magnified by the multiplier effect. So in some ways it's the Public Sector that pays for the Private Sector!

That is something which the present Government has failed to understand and one of the reasons why, even after nearly 5 years of stringent cuts, we still have a rising budget deficit.
        John, I wanted to "Like" this post but that is actually the opposite of what I wanted to achieve. I take my hat off to your well written argument !

The Tax an individual has to PAY when Retired on "Gold Plated" FSAVC Pensions is utterly ridiculous - whilst the Govt are letting these be "cashed in" they are taking a MASSIVE WEDGE in TAX at Source and hoping the "cash" is spent on as much of luxury goods in the UK to get the GDP up and "kick start the failing economy"

Fearnot, Mattresses shall be well stuffed

As regards Public Service Employees - pretty much ALL of them are "emergency or daily needs related" to some in the community - life is a bit lottery like, one never knows when they or their family members need the Public Service Employees and even Fat Cats and Rich itches can end up in A & E on a trolley in a corridor

We have to think more Equal - not Equality, but Teamwork wins each day, and Team has many members front people and back office/admin people too ... pretty much all play a part, in nearly every ones life, one day ! albeit indirectly !

By Equal, I mean each Team member respects the others for their able contributions. It is the little things in life, that make the huge difference
        [I].
        I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
        Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
          We have to think more Equal - not Equality, but Teamwork wins each day, and Team has many members front people and back office/admin people too ... pretty much all play a part, in nearly every ones life, one day ! albeit indirectly !

By Equal, I mean each Team member respects the others for their able contributions. It is the little things in life, that make the huge difference
          Chevvy, you're not wrong.
          Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
            Chevvy, you're not wrong.
            Stephen and Thanks wishing you all the very best of everything this Christmas and for 2015
            [I].
            I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
            Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Re: Doomed, the whole World is doomed! (Political)

John and Greg, you both seem to be missing the point that were discussing two weeks ago.

In a nutshell the ladies on QT said that they would be happy to pay more taxes in return for better public services and pay rises; which seemed somehow ironic given that in doing so they would effectively be paying themselves!

For the record I am fully supportive of public servants earning an income commensurate with their duties and experience, and being able to retire at the state retirement age on good pensions. Likewise I too would have hoped to be able to retire at some point; however I have to face the reality that that will never happen as, along with many thousands of others, the pension fund that I put my money into collapsed after dear Gordon raided it.

There is nothing divisive about that. They are hard facts that I have to live with.

However, you [Greg] did ask what I would like to do to improve society. Pensions and care of the elderly are clearly major issues which affect every one of us. Given the collapse of so many private pension schemes maybe it is time that we all paid into the same central, government managed fund used by the public service, so we can get on with our lives and our work without worrying about what will happen when we cannot work any longer.

That would provide some certainty, and would also avoid so many ordinary folk being ripped off by private scheme managers.
              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                Given the collapse of so many private pension schemes maybe it is time that we all paid into the same central, government managed fund used by the public service, so we can get on with our lives and our work without worrying about what will happen when we cannot work any longer.

That would provide some certainty, and would also avoid so many ordinary folk being ripped off by private scheme managers.
                Yes, but how long would it be before the 'fat cats' get a whiff of the size of the fund and persuade their political lackeys to transfer it into private hands? After all, Private is Good, Public is Bad!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post

Pensions and care of the elderly are clearly major issues which affect every one of us. Given the collapse of so many private pension schemes maybe it is time that we all paid into the same central, government managed fund used by the public service, so we can get on with our lives and our work without worrying about what will happen when we cannot work any longer.

I'm fully in agreement with this. I also think we need a national debate involving everyone, not just the politicians, about how we are going to fund pensions, care of the elderly and life end arrangements.

Personally I don't want to live into my eighties or nineties, in a nursing home hanging on by my fingertips to a life which no longer has any real quality or meaning. I don't want to be a drain on the taxpayer or deplete my family's inheritence, just to add a few more meaningless years to my life whilst I continue to needlessly consume more of the Earth's precious resources that would be better conserved for future generations. I want to be able to stipulate in a living will the circumstances in which my life will be ended by euthenasia, rather than face the present prospect of perhaps having to end my life a little earlier than neccesary whilst I am still able, in order to keep control over my final outcome.

I don't believe I would be alone, or even in the minority, in making that choice if it was available - especially if by doing so we could collectively afford better pensions for the years of retirement in which we are active, healthy and able to fully enjoy life. It's not how long you live that counts, it's how you live and the quality of life that matters.
                  John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                    Yes, but how long would it be before the 'fat cats' get a whiff of the size of the fund and persuade their political lackeys to transfer it into private hands? After all, Private is Good, Public is Bad!

Jim
                    Jim, the whole idea is that any such fund would be kept well out of reach of the fat cats (and politicians) grubby paws.
                    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post

Jim
                      You do highlight a problem, Jim, but Nigel's suggestion is sound (and fair).

Personally I would like to break the link between wealth and power, which currently corrupts our society. Perhaps that might mean reducing the relative wealth of the uber rich in order to reduce their power and influence.
                      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Personally I would like to break the link between wealth and power, which currently corrupts our society. Perhaps that might mean reducing the relative wealth of the uber rich in order to reduce their power and influence.
                        and leave a massive inheritance.

Harold
                        The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

I'm fully in agreement with this. I also think we need a national debate involving everyone, not just the politicians, about how we are going to fund pensions, care of the elderly and life end arrangements.

Personally I don't want to live into my eighties or nineties, in a nursing home hanging on by my fingertips to a life which no longer has any real quality or meaning. I don't want to be a drain on the taxpayer or deplete my family's inheritence, just to add a few more meaningless years to my life whilst I continue to needlessly consume more of the Earth's precious resources that would be better conserved for future generations. I want to be able to stipulate in a living will the circumstances in which my life will be ended by euthenasia, rather than face the present prospect of perhaps having to end my life a little earlier than neccesary whilst I am still able, in order to keep control over my final outcome.

I don't believe I would be alone, or even in the minority, in making that choice if it was available - especially if by doing so we could collectively afford better pensions for the years of retirement in which we are active, healthy and able to fully enjoy life. It's not how long you live that counts, it's how you live and the quality of life that matters.
                          Hear hear John.

Unfortunately there are some issues that we seem to be too afraid to talk about. Death is something that every single one of us will have to face, but it remains one of our greatest taboo's.

(The odd thing is, my parents were brought up in the post Victorian era. My mother often used to say that death and dying was a regular topic of conversation at home, whilst the 'S' word was strictly taboo. Now it's the other way around!)

I consider myself fortunate that both of my parents 'went quickly' so to speak, so we didn't have to see them suffer; but there are so many people who just 'exist' in a vegetative state for year after miserable year; often thanks to so called 'advances' in medical science. Irrespective of finances and resources how much kinder it would be to gently 'let them go' when the time comes.

I can understand that medics feel that any form of euthanasia would be illegal and contravene their 'Hippocratic Oath, so some change in the law and medical ethics would be needed.

I am more sceptical of politicians and lawyers fears that the elderly would be 'bumped off' for financial reasons. Maybe they judge us by their own standards?
                          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

It is time for someone to put a stop to all this political nonsense...this site was born out of a love of photography and some of you have taken it to the extreme of the whole purpose............please take your politics elsewhere or you are going to lose the attention of people like that do not live in the UK!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Gordon View Post
                              It is time for someone to put a stop to all this political nonsense...this site was born out of a love of photography and some of you have taken it to the extreme of the whole purpose............please take your politics elsewhere or you are going to lose the attention of people like that do not live in the UK!!
                              Bill, with repsect, we discussed this in the Political Threads in the Lounge thread, where it was decided that political discussions could continue as long as they come with a health warning.

The Lounge also has a notice over the door saying "take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!"
                              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
                                and leave a massive inheritance.
                                I remember reading year in the 70s that he paid one shilling in taxes. I can't remember if it was for the whole of his operations, or just one section.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X