Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who will YOU vote for???

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
    Didn't we give the USA some islands to pay off the loan?
    The Solomon Islands spring to mind. During WWII they were under British rule and I believe they now belong to the USA. JFK probably had something to do with it as this is where he was rescued after his wee boat got trashed.

I started this as a sort of joke and so far we have had some serious politics and what is turning out to an 'Around the World in 80 Posts'.

31 posts and counting...
    It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
      The Solomon Islands spring to mind. During WWII they were under British rule and I believe they now belong to the USA. JFK probably had something to do with it as this is where he was rescued after his wee boat got trashed.

I started this as a sort of joke and so far we have had some serious politics and what is turning out to an 'Around the World in 80 Posts'.

31 posts and counting...
      The truth is that politics can be quite fascinating, and a subject such as the Scottish Referendum seems to encourage debate in a way that regular party politics doesn't.

Scottish independence also seems to be a fairly 'safe' subject to discuss (probably because opinions about the politicians involved are fairly consistent), whereas any discussion about party politics usually ends up in an online brawl!
      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by The Technician View Post
        Southerners again missing out the North East!!
        I'm afraid that I was guilty of lumping the North East and and The North West together as "the North", mainly down to find a better balance in overall population size and to give the area more clout.

The problem is, a lot of people in the South East think the world ends if you venture north of Birmingham, or, heaven forbid, Manchester!
        Originally posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
        I think that displays the widespread general ignorance regarding these islands full stop.
        Perhaps true as a generalisation but for myself I have visited every county in England, Wales, and Scotland (sadly not been to Northern Ireland yet).

But the A1 north of Newcastle is still predominantly single carriageway!
        True - driven this many times.

On the subject of geography, if I am asked where I live nowadays I always reply 'Durham'. Many people from the south don't seem to know where Durham is ...
        I do. Its the next one up from North Yorkshire (I spent 3 years in York and have been back over half a dozen times since). Visited Durham once. After Durham you get Northumberland (been there twice and driven through 5 or 6 times).
        Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
        Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
        Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
        Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
        Learn something new every day

Comment

Working...
        X