Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone got a Yeti?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone got a Yeti?

    Because of my daily mileage and type of driving I do the majority of the time, I'm finding that my diesel Kia Sportage is getting lousy MPG and, more importantly, isn't doing the DPF much good.

    So, while I can still get a good price, I'm looking to change and favourite seems to be the Skoda Yeti 1.8TSi petrol 4x4. (I need a 4x4 because of some of the lanes round here). Has anyone owned one of these?
    Stephen

    A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

    Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

    My Flickr site

  • #2
    Re: Anyone got a Yeti?

    No; but owning both a diesel Jag and petrol Astra I know that one likes long journeys and the other short!

    Apart from problems with the DPF, if the engine isn't getting up to temperature it will suffer premature wear and lubrication problems.

    You might also like to check the accuracy of claimed MPG figures before parting with your money, as many are wildly optimistic.

    Our Astra (Mk V Elite, 115 BHP) was supposed to return 45 MPG, but rarely betters 38 MPG over a tankful. Indeed, it seems more economical at town speeds than on a long run.

    The Jag, on the other hand, often returns 45 MPG or better, which is about what is claimed, and isn't bad for a two-ton car with twin turbochargers and a V6 engine! (I could probably manage 50 MPG if I had the patience.)

    I gather the latest XF models will give up to about 60 MPG, so you don't necessarily need to sacrifice size or comfort for economy.

    Thinking on, I hired a Fiat Panda 4 x 4 when I was in Italy recently, which might suit you. According to Avis I drove 389 KM, and used just 25 litres of diesel. (44.25 MPG by my reckoning.)
    ---------------

    Naughty Nigel


    Difficult is worth doing

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Anyone got a Yeti?

      Thanks Nigel; I've been around vehicles for long enough not to even consider manufacturers’ figures!

      The Panda would be far too small for us, plus it's diesel, which wouldn't warm up at all on most of my journeys. The Yeti is just about the smallest we could go.
      Stephen

      A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

      Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

      My Flickr site

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Anyone got a Yeti?

        Originally posted by StephenL View Post
        Thanks Nigel; I've been around vehicles for long enough not to even consider manufacturers’ figures!

        The Panda would be far too small for us, plus it's diesel, which wouldn't warm up at all on most of my journeys. The Yeti is just about the smallest we could go.
        I would agree with you that it was very small, and had very limited boot space.

        I know it was in Italy but it did seem to warm up very quickly, but not as quickly as I did! The daytime temperature was between 38 and 39 °C when I was there, which seemed to challenge the aircon a little, but it was OK when the temperature dropped below 35 °C.

        However, it was so humid one evening that I had to use the wipers to clear condensation from the outside of the screen caused by the cold air from the aircon!
        ---------------

        Naughty Nigel


        Difficult is worth doing

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Anyone got a Yeti?

          Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
          However, it was so humid one evening that I had to use the wipers to clear condensation from the outside of the screen caused by the cold air from the aircon!
          Funnily enough I frequently have to do that on the Sportage round Watford!
          Stephen

          A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

          Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

          My Flickr site

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Anyone got a Yeti?

            Originally posted by StephenL View Post
            Funnily enough I frequently have to do that on the Sportage round Watford!
            I think someone had set the heater controls to 'demist' because a lot of cold air was being blown onto the screen. When I adjusted the settings to cool my feet the problem was less noticeable, but to be fair, it felt like a sauna when I stepped outside of the car.
            ---------------

            Naughty Nigel


            Difficult is worth doing

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Anyone got a Yeti?

              The Yeti is reputed to be a very good car. You have probably already found it but the Skoda owners site is Briskoda.net. You should find plenty of advice on there but be warned that Skoda owners are a fanatical bunch so don't expect too many impartial opinions.

              Ron

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Anyone got a Yeti?

                Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
                The Yeti is reputed to be a very good car. You have probably already found it but the Skoda owners site is Briskoda.net. You should find plenty of advice on there but be warned that Skoda owners are a fanatical bunch so don't expect too many impartial opinions.

                Ron
                Oh no. Are they like Apple acolytes?
                ---------------

                Naughty Nigel


                Difficult is worth doing

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Anyone got a Yeti?

                  Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                  Oh no. Are they like Apple acolytes?
                  As an Apple user, I would say they are even worse.

                  Ron

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Anyone got a Yeti?

                    I've got a Skoda Octavia vRS. Best car I've ever owned and after 12 years is still as rattle and squeak free as it was when new. I wouldn't hesitate to get another Skoda

                    I had a clean licence for 50 years, but within 6 months of buying the car had 6 points for speeding! I also drove from Watford to Scotland once and crossed the border at an average of over 80MPH, having seen 140MPH on the speedo at one point. I feel embarrassed now to think about it!

                    I've got speeding out of my system now and it's 60-70MPH

                    Jim

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Anyone got a Yeti?

                      Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
                      As an Apple user, I would say they are even worse.

                      Ron
                      What is it with Apple acolytes?

                      I met one on the plane on Tuesday evening. Unfortunately his battery was flat, and there is no charging point on short haul Airbus 320 flights so he just rabbited on about how much better his MacBook was than my Portege. Except my Portege was working, but I couldn't use it because this Mac fanboy wouldn't shut up.

                      Eventually I got my iPod out for some peace. but made sure he didn't see it.
                      ---------------

                      Naughty Nigel


                      Difficult is worth doing

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Anyone got a Yeti?

                        Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                        I've got a Skoda Octavia vRS. Best car I've ever owned and after 12 years is still as rattle and squeak free as it was when new. I wouldn't hesitate to get another Skoda

                        I had a clean licence for 50 years, but within 6 months of buying the car had 6 points for speeding! I also drove from Watford to Scotland once and crossed the border at an average of over 80MPH, having seen 140MPH on the speedo at one point. I feel embarrassed now to think about it!

                        I've got speeding out of my system now and it's 60-70MPH

                        Jim
                        I recall someone in Scotland being sentenced to three months for blowing off a Police car in a Skoda VR32 sport or suchlike. I think that what really brassed off the Old Bill (should that be Old Jock?) was that the Skoda driver slowed down so they could catch up, and then floored it again!
                        ---------------

                        Naughty Nigel


                        Difficult is worth doing

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Anyone got a Yeti?

                          I'm Apple, so maybe it's fate ...

                          Within 20 minutes of collecting my first Sportage back in 2006 I was done for speeding down the side of Loch Ness.
                          Stephen

                          A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

                          Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

                          My Flickr site

                          Comment


                          • #14

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Anyone got a Yeti?

                              Haven't got a Yeti, but the missus has a 1.4 petrol tubro Vauxhall Mokka on order (she wanted a small SUV, but large enough for the pushchair)

                              Again the DPF put her off going for diesel this time as she's likely to be doing very few long runs now, along with the premium for diesel engine over petrol.

                              There appears to be few small SUV's now with decent petrol engines, the focus appears to be more the diesel or smaller petrol engines. Think Hyundia do their iX35 (which is the same car has the sportage) with a petrol engine, although not sure if you can get it in 4x4 and what the power output is like.

                              The Yeti's do get good reviews, if you forget the badge your driving a volkswagon.

                              Simon

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X