X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter_Hartland
    replied
    Re: external drive on mac

I agree if it can not be found on 2 Mac & a Windows machine sounds more like a drive problem to me.

Leave a comment:

• mini0ne
    replied

Have you tried to manually mount?

In the terminal type
    diskutil list

Then you drive icon should appear (e.i. Lacie 500gb).

If it doesn't appear, you can try to mount it manually.
    So in the terminal type

diskutil mount /dev/disk1

or the if the number is not 1, change it to whatever number it is in the listing from the first command.

Leave a comment:

• OM USer
    replied

You can get 2 into 1 USB cables for drives that need more power than 1 USB socket will provide on its own.

Leave a comment:

• StephenL
    replied

Interesting. I'll keep an eye on mine.

Leave a comment:

• Wally
    replied

Originally posted by pault View Post
    For the record, just like Sapper's mine originally worked, then stopped. The drive wanted power more than the USB provided. Why this should happen I don't really know, maybe as the drive wears it draws more power.
    That was the point I was trying to make. Not sure of Mac's, but when using Micky-soft you get a warning. You need to unplug the disk and then reset the USB port that was affected otherwise it stay duff.

I would have thought that such a warning would happen on the Mac?

Leave a comment:

• pault
    replied

For the record, just like Sapper's mine originally worked, then stopped. The drive wanted power more than the USB provided. Why this should happen I don't really know, maybe as the drive wears it draws more power.
    Good idea to take drive back to shop.

Leave a comment:

• jdal
    replied

If you don't mind using an external power source I'd get a 3.5" HDD enclosure like [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Icy-Box-IB-318StU3-B-Aluminium-Interface/dp/B00304VVEW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399739598&sr=8-2&keywords=icy+box+drive+enclosure"]Icy Box IB-318StU3-B Premium Aluminium Case for 3.5 inch SATA HDD with USB 3.0 Interface: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31B%[email protected]@[email protected]@31B%2BgA71b7L[/ame] and get a drive of a suitable size. A bit pricier, but I've never had a problem with them. The Icy Boxes are fairly good for backing up, they spin down the drive when not in use.

Leave a comment:

• sapper
    replied

It's going back to Maplin.

Leave a comment:

• StephenL
    replied

If it isn't seen on a Widows machine either, it does sound like the drive, or possibly just the enclosure, is cooked.

Leave a comment:

• StephenL
    replied

My Mac has USB3 ports and happily powers external drives. Besides, Dave says it used to work.

Leave a comment:

• Wally
    replied

As per the above post... If yours is a new Mac with USB 3 ports, not entirely sure but I believe the power output is less than the USB 2.

I would try it out on another make, one with USB 2? If it is a power shortage on the Mac then it should show up.

Leave a comment:

• pault
    replied

Hi,
    I had this happen to a Maxtor drive. From memory, research showed the USB port did not have enough power for the drive.
    Suggest you look on manufacturers website.
    Personally, I bought another drive with a power supply.
    paul

Leave a comment:

• David M
    replied

It could be the drive or enclosure. I'd pull the drive out of the case and try it in a different enclosure.

Leave a comment:

• sapper
    replied

Originally posted by David M View Post
    Disconnect it, restart the Mac and plug it back in.
    Done that, makes no difference. It will not show on my wife's windows machine.

Leave a comment:

• David M
    replied

Disconnect it, restart the Mac and plug it back in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X