• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: external drive on mac

It's going back to Maplin.
    sigpicDave

Comment

If you don't mind using an external power source I'd get a 3.5" HDD enclosure like [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Icy-Box-IB-318StU3-B-Aluminium-Interface/dp/B00304VVEW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399739598&sr=8-2&keywords=icy+box+drive+enclosure"]Icy Box IB-318StU3-B Premium Aluminium Case for 3.5 inch SATA HDD with USB 3.0 Interface: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31B%[email protected]@[email protected]@31B%2BgA71b7L[/ame] and get a drive of a suitable size. A bit pricier, but I've never had a problem with them. The Icy Boxes are fairly good for backing up, they spin down the drive when not in use.
      John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Comment

For the record, just like Sapper's mine originally worked, then stopped. The drive wanted power more than the USB provided. Why this should happen I don't really know, maybe as the drive wears it draws more power.
        Good idea to take drive back to shop.

Comment

Originally posted by pault View Post
          For the record, just like Sapper's mine originally worked, then stopped. The drive wanted power more than the USB provided. Why this should happen I don't really know, maybe as the drive wears it draws more power.
          That was the point I was trying to make. Not sure of Mac's, but when using Micky-soft you get a warning. You need to unplug the disk and then reset the USB port that was affected otherwise it stay duff.

I would have thought that such a warning would happen on the Mac?
          It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Interesting. I'll keep an eye on mine.
            Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

You can get 2 into 1 USB cables for drives that need more power than 1 USB socket will provide on its own.
              Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
              Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
              Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
              Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
              Learn something new every day

Comment

Have you tried to manually mount?

In the terminal type
                diskutil list

Then you drive icon should appear (e.i. Lacie 500gb).

If it doesn't appear, you can try to mount it manually.
                So in the terminal type

diskutil mount /dev/disk1

or the if the number is not 1, change it to whatever number it is in the listing from the first command.

Comment

I agree if it can not be found on 2 Mac & a Windows machine sounds more like a drive problem to me.

Comment

Working...
                  X