Image used without permission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Image used without permission

Crikey, is anyone on the forum authorised to administer Valium?

The image is marked as copyright on Flickr Ian but it is not watermarked.

I'm not looking to make my millions from photography and the image isn't used in a commercial sense so no one is profiteering, there isn't even any adverts on the page.

Of course I'm flattered, I was just curious as to whether crediting someone's work was a way around sharing it with out gaining prior permission.

I enjoy sharing my pictures on here and Flickr. I value peoples comments and feedback and I always try and implement what I have been advised to do or learnt in the attempt to improve my pictures. I personally have learnt a lot from here from taking in what I have read. Taking them out of the public domain or to stop sharing them on here would be very childish and is a bit extreme. I have had two images used on Flickr Explore in the last month and to me that is a major buzz. The first in 6 years no financial reward but the satisfaction of the recognition is enough IMO.

If something appeared in a book, on a website, company brochure or advertisement for a company where someone was benefitting financially that would be a completely different matter and I would seek some form of remittance in those circumstances.

It does state in Tumblrs T&C that no copyrighted work should be shared without permission and bloggers accounts would be closed if this was proven. I don't want this persons account closed it's quite a professionally put together with some fantastic pictures on and all work is credited in fairness. Realistically who is going to pay to share a picture on a blog anyway?
    Thanks
    Tim

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

Regardless of the moral rights or wrongs of this issue, I think we have to recognize that the landscape regarding copyright has changed, although not for the better. It is an unfortunate consequence of the digital and internet age that it is now so easy to steal an image, to the point that it has become commonplace and no longer regarded by most people as theft. My daughter does it all the time to illustrate her homework and it seems to be the usual practice, encouraged by the teachers. It's still theft. "I found the picture on the Internet" is really no different from "I found the wallet on the pavement."

Having said that, I do take a rather relaxed view regarding my own pictures, as long as they aren't used commercially or politically and are credited to me. I'm certainly not about to deny myself the joy of sharing/inflicting my pictures with an online audience. What does worry me though is the wider consequence, of how this is affecting existing professional stock photographers and limiting the opportunity for future photographers in this rapidly evaporating market.
      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

But if photographers don't fight for their rights they'll disappear even faster John.
        It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Originally posted by David M View Post
          But if photographers don't fight for their rights they'll disappear even faster John.
          Which is WHY we each should sign up to support them

Facebook are stripping away exif and their new T & C's allow them to "use" them, as many websites do, as "orphan images" (see the FAIR USE hotlink I posted earlier - David there is same in USA, so I expect same in Canadian law)

For a FREE pdf dowload on Photographers Rights by Linda McP Lecturer in Law at Heriott-Watt University, Edinburgh go to this hotlink ; SCROLL DOWN and download the .pdf

http://www.sirimo.co.uk/2009/05/14/u...ers-rights-v2/
          [I].
          I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
          Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

This is interesting:

"Infringer who originally offered £150 forced to pay £20,000 in settlement"

http://www.epuk.org/News/1039/infrin...-in-settlement

Jim

Comment

Jim, that is music to my ears How GREAT for photographers in the UK and world

Should be for our Ian too - if he approaches and briefs Wright Hassel (as only a Solicitor may brief a Barrister! ) - a great firm who I did systems for in the 1980's ...

"important extract ... Thomas St Quintin (instructed by Wright Hassall) for the Claimant"
              [I].
              I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
              Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

I found through Flickr stats that a couple of my images were on Tumblr, quite nice that they get massive exposure and hundreds of re-blogs. Annoying that I only find out because one person clicks it and transfers to my Flickr page. I then spent a while trawling to find where it was originally put.

No commercial interest and Flickr tags still attached so I wasn't too fussed. Same with an image from the shard on an architecture forum, someone on there was a serial poster of pictures not of his work. Loads of credit about the photos, tags still intact etc.

All I wish is that I knew when people were distributing my images, purely for interest
                My Flickr

Comment

How did you check this on Flikr? Which buttons to click?
                  Olympus OM-D E-M5 mk3. Yes I'm ahead of you!
                  My Pics Digikam, Gimp, Kubuntu Inkscape

Comment

If you have a pro account you can access the statistics for images, if not, I'm not sure you can
                    My Flickr

Comment

Thanks. I don't have a pro account. Very much amateur in fact, as I don't even have a Flickr account. I signed up to Geocities many years ago. Then they got swallowed up by Yahoo, who then swallowed up Flickr. And here I am.
                      Olympus OM-D E-M5 mk3. Yes I'm ahead of you!
                      My Pics Digikam, Gimp, Kubuntu Inkscape

Comment

Just a little update, I sent an invoice to this person via a paypal money request using the e mail on the blog.

Today it was paid! Only £25.00 but I felt if I did it for too much they would have ignored it.

Also sent an apology mail.
                        Thanks
                        Tim

Comment

Well done, Tim.
                          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Well after all the comments and what seems confusion i'd say a fairly good result Tim, well done for your persistence...

Cheers

Peter
                            OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
                            I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
                            www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

Result!
                              Brian

Comment

Yes I agree a good result. better than I was expecting after reading this thread.
                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Working...
                                X