X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DerekW
    replied
    Re: Dartford Crossing - Grrrr I'm so angry

However Dart Tag should be made compatible with the French and Italian toll collection systems.

Leave a comment:

• sapper
    replied

This looks interesting. http://www.kentnews.co.uk/news/dartf...ment_1_2274268

I just hope that the Dart tag system will be continued.

Leave a comment:

• Zuiko
    replied

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
    To go almost back to the original topic - road tolls in the UK, it would be be tremoundous sense for all the toll collecting systems across the EU to be rationalised - so that a transponder from any country will be valid for use on any toll system in Europe.

Having a transponder in France is a great boon to getting across the country, no stretching across to the left hand side of the car to hand over lots of money and waiting while some Brit in the car in front of you is struggling to sort out the money or operate a credit card toll collection device. With a transponder you just sail through the toll gate at up to 30kmph. However a month later you get a letter telling you how much money is being charged to the credit card.

A compatible system in the UK would speed traffic through the Dartford crossing and other toll gates.

However it is unlikely as the French and the Italians have not managed to get compatibility between their two toll collection systems and they have been EU members sucking money from the northern countries far longer than we have been a member of the EU.

Just recently been in Norway which has built lots of tunnels and bridges to connect the various island communities together. There they have a policy to collect tolls until the the construction costs have been paid off - they then remove the toll collection process for the bridge /tunnel.

However you do have to pay about 7 to 8 pounds for .4 of a litre of beer and retirement age is currently 67.
    I can live with expensive beer, it's a luxury and I don't have to drink it.

Leave a comment:

• DerekW
    replied

To go almost back to the original topic - road tolls in the UK, it would be be tremoundous sense for all the toll collecting systems across the EU to be rationalised - so that a transponder from any country will be valid for use on any toll system in Europe.

Having a transponder in France is a great boon to getting across the country, no stretching across to the left hand side of the car to hand over lots of money and waiting while some Brit in the car in front of you is struggling to sort out the money or operate a credit card toll collection device. With a transponder you just sail through the toll gate at up to 30kmph. However a month later you get a letter telling you how much money is being charged to the credit card.

A compatible system in the UK would speed traffic through the Dartford crossing and other toll gates.

However it is unlikely as the French and the Italians have not managed to get compatibility between their two toll collection systems and they have been EU members sucking money from the northern countries far longer than we have been a member of the EU.

Just recently been in Norway which has built lots of tunnels and bridges to connect the various island communities together. There they have a policy to collect tolls until the the construction costs have been paid off - they then remove the toll collection process for the bridge /tunnel.

However you do have to pay about 7 to 8 pounds for .4 of a litre of beer and retirement age is currently 67.

Leave a comment:

• Zuiko
    replied

Originally posted by Bikie John View Post
    While agreeing with your overall sentiment John, ingrained pedantry compels me to point out that there were in fact 2 other Titanics (well, 2 other ships of the same class). One, Britannic, was used as a military hospital ship and fell prey to a mine which was hardly its fault. The other, Olympic, was used as a troop ship during the 1914-18 war and according to Wikipedia then enjoyed a "long and illustrious career" as a transatlantic cruise liner. Perhaps by then they had worked out that icebergs were not their friends

Ciao ... pedantic John
    Thanks for that info, John.

Perhaps it is time our governments (not just this one, they've all been at it) worked out that private companies, like icebergs, are not our friends!

Leave a comment:

• Bikie John
    replied

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
    It's creeping privatisation. When will it be recognized that Privitisation does not work? It's like building a new Titanic after each one sinks and steering it at the same iceberg!
    While agreeing with your overall sentiment John, ingrained pedantry compels me to point out that there were in fact 2 other Titanics (well, 2 other ships of the same class). One, Britannic, was used as a military hospital ship and fell prey to a mine which was hardly its fault. The other, Olympic, was used as a troop ship during the 1914-18 war and according to Wikipedia then enjoyed a "long and illustrious career" as a transatlantic cruise liner. Perhaps by then they had worked out that icebergs were not their friends

Ciao ... pedantic John

Leave a comment:

• OM USer
    replied

If no one wants to be in power then just turn the country over to Brussels - oh wait we've already done that.

Leave a comment:

• Zuiko
    replied

Originally posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
    Oh Yes - Me
    Fair point, but I think I'm catching up fast!

My latest thought is that the Conservatives are secretly aiming to lose the next election so they can pass the hot potato to Labour, who are also planning to lose as that's one potato they don't want. The Lib Dems are probably beyond any ambition other than to retain a token presence of at least one MP in the Commons. That leaves UKIP, who will probably win by default, and Farage will be scared absolutely witless when faced with the enormity of the problem which he never actually expected would become his!

Leave a comment:

• Grumpy Hec
    replied

The tolls were probably secretly sold years ago to foreign investors who have a Google approach to paying UK tax, helped no doubt by lining some government minister's pocket.

Do you know anybody more cynical than me?
    Oh Yes - Me

Leave a comment:

• Zuiko
    replied

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
    Commercial Enterprise and Massive Profits to pay big Taxes and help our ailing UK Govt.
    The tolls were probably secretly sold years ago to foreign investors who have a Google approach to paying UK tax, helped no doubt by lining some government minister's pocket.

Do you know anybody more cynical than me?

Leave a comment:

• Zuiko
    replied

Originally posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
    I've been caught in many delays on the DRC...my daughter lives/lived in Tunbridge Wells so there is no alternative....I try to wait until after 10 but it's unavoidable sometimes, and the cost is excessive I feel. Once paid for (which was probably years ago now) the tolls should have stopped, or at least be a token for upkeep (25p)
    They are now proposing a new part of the A14 around Cambridge through to Huntingdon which again is very congested, but hey ho want to make it a toll road !! So we in the Eastern side of east Anglia if we want to travel to the midlands or north will have to pay a fee, whereas those living in the Birmingham area have a choice M6 toll or M6 non toll.....aaaaaargh...makes my blood boil.

Peter
    It's creeping privatisation. When will it be recognized that Privitisation does not work? It's like building a new Titanic after each one sinks and steering it at the same iceberg!

Leave a comment:

• Chevvyf1
    replied

Yesterday evening ...

I repeat, One of the tunnels was closed and the tolls were making it worse. When there is a tunnel closure, why don't they open up the tolls and let vehicles through for free?

In fact, the tolls have been there so long that they must have paid for the crossings by now, so isn't it time that the tolls were scrapped anyway?

Grrrrr!
    Commercial Enterprise and Massive Profits to pay big Taxes and help our ailing UK Govt.

Leave a comment:

• Rocknroll59
    replied

I've been caught in many delays on the DRC...my daughter lives/lived in Tunbridge Wells so there is no alternative....I try to wait until after 10 but it's unavoidable sometimes, and the cost is excessive I feel. Once paid for (which was probably years ago now) the tolls should have stopped, or at least be a token for upkeep (25p)
    They are now proposing a new part of the A14 around Cambridge through to Huntingdon which again is very congested, but hey ho want to make it a toll road !! So we in the Eastern side of east Anglia if we want to travel to the midlands or north will have to pay a fee, whereas those living in the Birmingham area have a choice M6 toll or M6 non toll.....aaaaaargh...makes my blood boil.

Peter

Leave a comment:

• OM USer
    replied

Why can't HS2 (train) , Eurostar (train) , the Channel Tunnel (cars), Heathrow Airport (aeropane) [or a.n.other London hub airport], and Central London all come together at one point? To be more precise, the 2 major rail links should have stops at both central London and at the the major hub airport, and there should be a motorway link from the Channel Tunnel into Central London (City Airport might be an idea).

That is what I call an integrated travel plan. This is why I favour the wholesale move of Heathrow to Boris Island... but not without those additional transport links.

Leave a comment:

• Graham_of_Rainham
    replied

I really hoped I'd live long enough to see the East London River Crossing (aka Thames Gateway Bridge)

Then I looked at this and now I'm angry at something else as well

Leave a comment:

Working...
X