• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Sorry it is my Broadband again!

Peter J

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses

Re: Sorry it is my Broadband again!

Because of statement 4 I suspect that you are getting WiFI interference.

Do you have neighbours that have WiFi is so get hold of a program that runs on your Wifi dependent machine that displays the Wifi channels you can receive. - if it shows that you have two transmissions on the same or nearly adjacent channels then move your channel to be as far away as possible.

I do not know the names of such programs in the Windows domain but on a Mac I would be using iStumbler (which is not so reliable now) and WiFi Explorer which gives a good display of all the available transmissions and channels.
    This space for rent

Comment

Hi Derek,

Your idea makes sense to me, but I do not think it is likely to be that. Next door one side is an old lady who does not have a computer. The other side is an empty house.

In the first session with the BT helpline this morning he did try changing the wireless channel but that made no improvement.

I will try to find a utility for checking WiFi interference.

Thanks for your help..
      Peter J

Comment

Into wild guess country - but do you have any ethernet over the power line devices, the high speed versions can cause interference.
        This space for rent

Comment

Derek,

No I don't have that system.
          However, if the problem persists it might be a possible solution. I basically need to connect 2 laptops in different parts of the house the BT hub, maybe that could be done without wireless if I could make an Ethernet connection over the power lines.
          Peter J

Comment

I use ethernet over powerlines to get to the TV for iPlayer etc to the Sky box and to any where I want to use a laptop in the house.

I have had the signal pass thru onto to different circuits in the house (the manuals say that the signal might be lost or attenuated beyond use going via the consumer unit to a different circuit)

I personally do not like WiFi in my study as I think I can tell when it is on by the headache I get. But then I am only about 2 feet from the transmitter. However Wifi was useful the other day when we had an additional 3 computers running in the house.
            This space for rent

Comment

Derek,

This morning the download speed has increased to 2.5Mb/s, so better but still well short of normal.

I will look into getting two Ethernet power connections, then I should be able to connect the upstairs computer plus the BT Hub to one using two cables and the downstairs computer to the other using another cable.

I will need to be careful to get the right cables though, BT Hub and my laptop have the same type of connector, but the other (older) laptop has a smaller LAN socket.

Many thanks for the helpful suggestion.
              Peter J

Comment

Hi.
                I came across your post while browsing and this is the last thing I expected to be discussing on this site. I am not an IT or telecom techie but this subject is something I know a reasonable amount about. My knowledge has grown through time consuming experience gained by trial and error after getting no help at all from various "ISP Support Services". So I'm more than happy to add my two pennies worth.
                I have a wired and 'N' wireless network in my house. The 'N' wireless protocol currently has the best range. However wireless will never perform as well as wired in a building due to distance, walls and interference from other electronic devices.
                Firstly then, how far are you from the telephone exchange?
                Secondly, is your BT hub connected to a generic phone extension cable (you may have bought from Tesco, Wilko or Maplins for instance) which is connected to the BT master socket?
                The master socket is junction between where the phone line comes into your house and where you plug your equipment in.
                If you are using an extension cable then that may be the route of your problems. Extension cables are cheap and nasty things designed to carry voice calls and not high frequency digital broadband data signals.
                My broadband modem router is connected to the master socket which is around 11 metres away using high quality twisted pair phone cable. I have two PCs, a PS3 and a Wii which are beween 10 to 20 metres away, hard wired to my router using Cat5e cabling. My download speed is around 17Mbps on these devices. However the Wireless performance on my laptop and smartphone degrades significantly especially upstairs due to distance and walls.
                Wireless is a solution to the inability to have a wired network which is without a doubt the best solution. Broadband providers however don't mention the pitfalls of wireless that is why they quote "up to" such and such download speeds. They know what speed your phone line can support up to the master socket but not what speed is achievable beyond it.
                Having said all this, if I had cable or fibre optic outside my house I'd have it straight away over my current twisted pair setup.
                Feel free to PM me if you want more in depth advice.
                Cheers,
                Steve
                Last edited by Ian; 19th November 2012, 11:03 AM. Reason: Changed text size to normal
                See some of my pictures at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tagbartok/

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!

Comment

Oh, i was going to suggest what paullus stated, or at least something similar. The cable that connects your router to the primary socket should be an ADSL cable. If it isn't it won't transmit the broadband info. I'd bet my bottom dollar this is the issue. Otherwise try changing your line filter (the small white plastic box that splits your phone line and broadband cable and is plugged into the primary socket) as they don't last forever.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

Hi.
                    To access the Homehub interface open Internet explorer or whichever browser you use and type http://bthomehub.home into the address box and press "Enter". You should be prompted for a password and username which unless you have changed them are both "Admin" Here you will find all of the Homehub's settings. Don't alter anything unless you know what you are doing.

This link has some useful information.
                    http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/wif...ss-Network.htm

inSSIDer is the utility you can download onto a laptop or smartphone with WiFi activated to check who else nearby is on the same WiFi channel as you. If someone is using the same channel you can change it in the Homehub settings.

Another point to consider, do you have microfilters fitted to all of your phone sockets?
                    Do you have a Sky Digibox connected to a telephone line?
                    My Dad had problems with his Homehub and the Sky box was interfering with it.
                    Ok time to go to work, where has the weekend gone!
                    Cheers,
                    Steve
                    See some of my pictures at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tagbartok/

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!

Comment

but in statement 4 he said that connected by ethernet cable he got a good speed. From the way the problem was described it appears to me to be a WiFI related issue.
                      This space for rent

Comment

One thing that went through my mind, but only because I'm paranoid about these things , I asume that your wi-fi is a secure one (that is, you have set up an encryption etc). Otherwise, could it be that someone else is tapping in to your wi-fi and stealing your bandwidth?

Does BT allow you to use your own modem/router? If so, and you have a 'spare' one, it might be worth doing a swap to see if the BT wi-fi is playing up.
                        Ian

(I can never think of anything witty to say when under pressure!)

GH2, G50, various m4/3rds lenses, Fuji X-T1 system

My website: www.icimaging.co.uk

Comment

Is your router connected to the master socket that comes in from the outside rather than an extension? I wouldn't recommend connecting to an extension. Also, are you using a microfilter on the wall socket?

But that aside I tend to agree with others here the it seems to be a wifi issue assuming that connection via an ethernet cable is consistently better. Monitoring neighbouring wifi networks to ensure yours is not competing with another nearby one on the same channel is very important. You can use a free program from Metageek called InSSIDer:

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

..install and run and make sure that the channel your router is set to isn't sharing the same channel as another router that registers close to the power of your own.

Ultimately, you may want to consider using mains powerline ethernet adapters if the problem is wifi-related and it can't be solved.

Ian
                          Founder and editor of:
                          Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                          Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                          Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                          Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                          NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                          sigpic

Comment

Peter, you say you've had BT broadband from the early days. What colour is your home hub? Do you have BT Vision?
                            There were two versions of the first white Mk1 hubs, followed by a square black one and then curved Mk2 types A & B and finally the smaller Mk3.
                            Arguably the Mk3 is the fastest and most stable, but doesn't support a Hub phone if you have the need for one.

If you are getting a decent speed via a cable, that probably means the Modem/Wired router section is OK. I had this problem with both Mk1 white hubs where the wired section worked fine, but the wireless started to break down after prolonged usage. It showed a decent signal strength but the connection speed dropped dramatically, so I assume that the data packets were getting corrupted. I actually had a spare one in stock having bought a full spare Vision setup from Oxfam for a tenner, so I was able to play without needing to disturb BT.
                            After going through all the tests several times with the Indian callcentre, I persuaded them to post me a new hub. They sent a square black one which worked fine, though I subsequently had a problem with my incoming line (we have aluminium cable here). As part of the overall diagnosis, a visiting BT Vision engineer was persuaded to part with a Mk2 Type A and then later, a type B, the curved ones.
                            The last of these, the Black curved Mk2 Type B has been the fastest and most stable of all of them. I don't use a Mk3 as I have a Hub Phone as a second line. (Well worth doing if you make international calls, as depending on the destination, they can be considerably cheaper).

I'd get back on to BT's call centre in India and explain once again that it works fine wired, but not on wifi. Hopefully you should be able to get them to send you a router, particularly if you don't just look like you are using excuses to try and get a Mk3.
                            Whilst I know it is frustrating to go though all the questions again, It's probably worth it until you get a good call handler. Some of them really are very good when you get used to the accent; it's just a shame that they are rarely loud enough.

Whilst it is good advice to keep the hub as close to the Master Socket as possible, you could always try moving it closer to the PC for faulting purposes.
                            Or the moving the PC towards the hub of course.

If the latter isn't practical, try moving the router closer to the PC on a telephone extension lead, (yes I know that the overall speed will drop, but it will allow you to compare ethernet and wifi speeds with the kit in the same room.
                            If WiFi is still massively slower than wired, with the PC in the sale room as the router, then the wifi side must be at fault; either the router or the PC Wireless LAN card/aerial.
                            If WiFi speed picks up, when PC & router are close together, start having a look for interference, either in the house or from your neighbours.

Also are you on BT Vision, if so, try that helpdesk if you are having picture/replay problems.
                            Best Regards
                            Bill

The nearest I have to a home page.
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
                            They're Watching You!

Comment

Many thanks to everyone for the many suggestions. It seems that this question involves people in a lot of typing - I do appreciate your help

Peak4's experience seems close to my own so I will reply using his post:

Originally posted by peak4 View Post
                              Peter, you say you've had BT broadband from the early days. What colour is your home hub? Do you have BT Vision?
                              There were two versions of the first white Mk1 hubs, followed by a square black one and then curved Mk2 types A & B and finally the smaller Mk3.
                              Arguably the Mk3 is the fastest and most stable, but doesn't support a Hub phone if you have the need for one.
                              Mk2 hub no BT Vision
                              If you are getting a decent speed via a cable, that probably means the Modem/Wired router section is OK. I had this problem with both Mk1 white hubs where the wired section worked fine, but the wireless started to break down after prolonged usage. It showed a decent signal strength but the connection speed dropped dramatically, so I assume that the data packets were getting corrupted. I actually had a spare one in stock having bought a full spare Vision setup from Oxfam for a tenner, so I was able to play without needing to disturb BT.
                              I think this is what is happening to me. Signal strength is good but speed intermittently very poor. Now it is no longer intermittent but full time. Moving the hub to the other outlet made no difference. Under all tested circumstances using cable connection gives normal speed.

After going through all the tests several times with the Indian callcentre, I persuaded them to post me a new hub. They sent a square black one which worked fine, though I subsequently had a problem with my incoming line (we have aluminium cable here). As part of the overall diagnosis, a visiting BT Vision engineer was persuaded to part with a Mk2 Type A and then later, a type B, the curved ones.
                              The last of these, the Black curved Mk2 Type B has been the fastest and most stable of all of them. I don't use a Mk3 as I have a Hub Phone as a second line. (Well worth doing if you make international calls, as depending on the destination, they can be considerably cheaper).
                              During the last call to the call centre it became obvious to me that the fault must be the in the router as wireless was affected but the cable not.

I'd get back on to BT's call centre in India and explain once again that it works fine wired, but not on wifi. Hopefully you should be able to get them to send you a router, particularly if you don't just look like you are using excuses to try and get a Mk3.
                              Whilst I know it is frustrating to go though all the questions again, It's probably worth it until you get a good call handler. Some of them really are very good when you get used to the accent; it's just a shame that they are rarely loud enough.
                              I specifically asked him twice to send me a new hub. He refused to do so and shrieked that they only guarantee line speed not wireless speed (even apparently when the PC is only 60cm from the hub).

I did point out that BT sold me a wireless system which ought to work but he still gave me the "no guarantee" response

Whilst it is good advice to keep the hub as close to the Master Socket as possible, you could always try moving it closer to the PC for faulting purposes.
                              Or the moving the PC towards the hub of course.

If the latter isn't practical, try moving the router closer to the PC on a telephone extension lead, (yes I know that the overall speed will drop, but it will allow you to compare ethernet and wifi speeds with the kit in the same room.
                              If WiFi is still massively slower than wired, with the PC in the sale room as the router, then the wifi side must be at fault; either the router or the PC Wireless LAN card/aerial.
                              If WiFi speed picks up, when PC & router are close together, start having a look for interference, either in the house or from your neighbours.

Also are you on BT Vision, if so, try that helpdesk if you are having picture/replay problems.
                              I have ordered components to fit up a LAN over power cable conversion. You are right though, they should send me a hub that works. I will try again when I have a couple of hours to spare and hope that I get someone more helpful....
                              Peter J

Comment

Working...
                              X