• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blocking

Originally posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post

Google tells me that

Alphaism is

a) a sexual practise in a magic cult pioneered around the end of Prohibition in the United States, it requires you not to have sex but to read a chapter from the cult founders book every time you have the 'urge'.

Nick
    That must be where the "impenetratable" comes in!

All pretty normal in our house actually.

How did he know?
    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
      Alphaism is

a) a sexual practise in a magic cult pioneered around the end of Prohibition in the United States, it requires you not to have sex but to read a chapter from the cult founders book every time you have the 'urge'.

Nick
      On the basis that we are supposed to "urge" every ten seconds, I think my book has 52,560 chapters over the course of a year.

That rules out my "Practical Photography" collection, as well as my "Abstinence for Beginners" compendium.
      Blackadder: "Allow me to be the first to offer Dr. Johnson my most sincere contrafibularities! I am anaspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused him such pericombobulation."

Comment

Well you were ALL BUSY here last night (I had an early meeting with my magic bed! for )

But Google helped me with this one

Keyboard Warrior

1. A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.

2. The term is a combination of the word 'keyboard' (the main tool by which the person expresses his/her latent rage) and 'warrior' (due to the warrior-like aggression, tendency towards violence, headstrong nature and propensity towards brute force as a means of resolving conflict rather than more subtle means dependant on finesse).

3. The Keyboard Warrior seeks to use the power imbued in his 'weapon' to effect death and destruction (in a strictly-metaphorical sense) upon his foes (other virtual identities he has encountered on the internet). In essence, the keyboard (ie. text input ability) allows the keyboard warrior to manifest his true warrior nature in a safe and removed environment, from which no real-life repercussions .

4. Keyboard Warriors are generally identified by unnecessary rage in their written communications, and are regarded as 'losers' by other virtual identities on the internet.

From the first post, slagging off "... photographic clubs ... and their "club standards" ... and judging ... " I felt he had been critiqued unjustly (in his mind). It was interesting to see comments on his Flickr from "local mates" about him getting "his mojo back" ... so it sounded like he was a " ... bit upset/aggressive" ... THEN he gradually "burst" likee a pus filled spot, yuk everywhere !

I had never heard of Keyboard Warrior - so I Google'd it and you know what, it fits ! It is well known that those who "... shout abuse about others in inadequacies, are in fact, reviewing themselves ... ".

Shame really - I feel he really "needed a nice place to be, and repair" ! His Flickr has some SUPERB shots on it, he is quite creative and we may have enjoyed lots of INSPIRATION from him.
        [I].
        I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
        Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by ardvorlich View Post
          I must admit over the past few days I have not been posting as I do have a Scottish temper and may have done myself no good had I responded to some posts,especially one reply to Chevvyf1.However now that normal service has been resumed we can all do what we do best,and get on with enjoying this forum.
          Cheers Iain
          I stayed out of it as I could feel my irriataion would get the better of me, I am grumpy after all , and I would be in danger of lowering myself to his level. However I was getting close so well done those who put an end to it.

It puzzles me why people behave like that. Simply do not understand.

Happily we can get back to a civilised existence

Hec
          I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
            I would be in danger of lowering myself to his level.
            Hec
            I am just stupid Hec and found it all too easy to raise my standards to his Lager, L's and pies - it all came too easily

Greg
            My Flickr Home Page

Comment

Being recently signed on, I try stay out of hot water, but honestly, I've no clue as to what "gobsh*tes" means. This may be because I'm from California, but is there civilized way to look this up?
              http://technopeasant.org

Comment

Originally posted by gregles View Post
                I am just stupid Hec and found it all too easy to raise my standards to his Lager, L's and pies - it all came too easily

Greg

Go with the flow
                I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.

Comment

Just been on another well known forum and to return here is like a breath of fresh air; I don't know why I go there just to get so annoyed. It must be to do with the number of members, eventually there are enough unpleasant posters to tip the balance in a way that impolite behaviour becomes acceptable.

Well done the mods here!
                  Colin
                  "Don't blame me..."

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart G View Post
                    Being recently signed on, I try stay out of hot water, but honestly, I've no clue as to what "gobsh*tes" means. This may be because I'm from California, but is there civilized way to look this up?
                    Hi Stewart, it is basically slang for verbal diarrhea .
                    Regards Paul.
                    One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/

Comment

I've no clue as to what "gobsh*tes" means
                      Gobshite
                      A word of irish origin, meaning a person who blabbers on about incredibly senseless things.
                      "Shut up, you stupid gobshite!"
                      hearts at peace under an English heaven

Comment

Originally posted by George Dorn View Post
                        Just been on another well known forum and to return here is like a breath of fresh air; I don't know why I go there just to get so annoyed. It must be to do with the number of members, eventually there are enough unpleasant posters to tip the balance in a way that impolite behaviour becomes acceptable.

Well done the mods here!
                        Through our lives, we have probably all had to contend with the ignorance of others, through school, teenage years, worklife, driving, hobbies and many other aspect's of life in general. Growing up in a tough area in Lanarkshire, I witnessed physical cruelty beyond words, the effect it had on me is now that of a pacifist. And more recently hounded out of my own home in Kent, by a barrage of verbal & physical attacks to my family.

But, I really do not get why people go online to create mayhem, or give themselves an identity, that they have perhaps failed to achieve in the real world. I am equally horrified by stories of how individual's can make others lives a misery online, particularly that of grieving familie's, or those individuals who terrorise other's into taking their own lives.

It is everywhere............ all sites have these people, facebook (which I dont use), youtube, camera club's, anything I suppose where two or more can communicate online. My last hobby,(greenlaning) was spoiled by others ignorance, I figured my new photography hobby was quite safe, but I found myself laying awake and worrying over a recent comment made to Chevvy.

Why do people have to be so nasty, it takes a significant amount of effort to be nasty, effort which could be used for something far more positive, but I am in danger of being naive to think that people will change.

I really hope as a protective father I can warn/advise / safeguard my children from others venom.

Alan
                        Blackadder: "Allow me to be the first to offer Dr. Johnson my most sincere contrafibularities! I am anaspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused him such pericombobulation."

Comment

Originally posted by kidslateinlife View Post
                          I really do not get why people go online to create mayhem, or give themselves an identity, that they have perhaps failed to achieve in the real world.............I figured my new photography hobby was quite safe, but I found myself laying awake and worrying over a recent comment made to Chevvy.
                          Alan,
                          I couldn't agree more. I think the anonymity of the internet can lead some people to lose their personal moral compass. I really don't know what they get out of behaving abnormally. There is no place for bad manners in a civilised forum.
                          Jamie

Comment

Thanks, all, for the clarification of the word "gobsh*tes." The original poster of the word struck me as quite peculiar at times, hostile, even, in his posts. I can't help but feel sorry for folks who go through life like that, who seem to become angry at the slightest friction.
                            http://technopeasant.org

Comment

Originally posted by kidslateinlife View Post
                              Through our lives, we have probably all had to contend with the ignorance of others, through school, teenage years, worklife, driving, hobbies and many other aspect's of life in general. Growing up in a tough area in Lanarkshire, I witnessed physical cruelty beyond words, the effect it had on me is now that of a pacifist. And more recently hounded out of my own home in Kent, by a barrage of verbal & physical attacks to my family.

But, I really do not get why people go online to create mayhem, or give themselves an identity, that they have perhaps failed to achieve in the real world. I am equally horrified by stories of how individual's can make others lives a misery online, particularly that of grieving familie's, or those individuals who terrorise other's into taking their own lives.

It is everywhere............ all sites have these people, facebook (which I dont use), youtube, camera club's, anything I suppose where two or more can communicate online. My last hobby,(greenlaning) was spoiled by others ignorance, I figured my new photography hobby was quite safe, but I found myself laying awake and worrying over a recent comment made to Chevvy.

Why do people have to be so nasty, it takes a significant amount of effort to be nasty, effort which could be used for something far more positive, but I am in danger of being naive to think that people will change.

I really hope as a protective father I can warn/advise / safeguard my children from others venom.

Alan
                              A part of my personality, due to having served Her Majesty in uniform for a number of years, is to perhaps be a little insensitive and say or write something which I feel later might have caused upset. This imagined (in most cases) effect on others causes me much grief and a promise to myself to be more careful in future, although this rarely works in practice. A problem is that most people can say anything to or about me without causing me any problems as I am a firm believer in the famous saying - "Other people opinions of me are none of my business".
                              So if on this forum I say something which may hurt anybody, rest assured - I don't mean to. If I mean to be forthright I'll do it via PM.

Thanks for such a delightful forum - long may it continue.

Regards

David
                              PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

Well, I go away for 'one wedding and a funeral' and come back to a good old knees up. I always was late to the parties, and typically it looks like I arrived after the bunfight finished, thank goodness! So hopefully everyone is now relaxing and peace, harmony & just a little decorum is the order of the day. Now then, about photography . . . .
                                If I'm out I'm JustSwanningAround
                                or more often at www.facebook.com/JustSwanningAround

Comment

Working...
                                X