Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Laptop Help

Ian,
    I've got to say that the posts in this thread kind of show the problems of anonymous communications on internet forums - people say things that are funny/droll to them but misunderstood/opposed by others. I still stand by my response on 3rd Jan to Dereks post of 2nd Jan where he referred to windows users as dozers. In almost 30 years in the IT industry I've never previously heard the term - and I do feel it was intentionally used in a disparaging way. The title of the thread says it all - the original poster was asking for advice not someone's would be superior view.
    Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by jamie allan View Post
      Ian,
      I've got to say that the posts in this thread kind of show the problems of anonymous communications on internet forums - people say things that are funny/droll to them but misunderstood/opposed by others. I still stand by my response on 3rd Jan to Dereks post of 2nd Jan where he referred to windows users as dozers. In almost 30 years in the IT industry I've never previously heard the term - and I do feel it was intentionally used in a disparaging way. The title of the thread says it all - the original poster was asking for advice not someone's would be superior view.
      Please don't be nasty to him too. He's nice and part of our clique. =P

Comment

Originally posted by mlinehan View Post
        Please don't be nasty to him too. He's nice and part of our clique. =P
        Actually - don't be nasty to anyone, it serves no purpose.

This group runs on the principle that people express honest opinions on subjects, then other people agree or argue a different viewpoint. With argue used in the proper sense, meaning, the presentation of facts or points in support of a proposition or contention.

Occasionally in the course of a discussion descriptive phrases may be entered that could be, perhaps, misconstrued. That's unfortunate, but not a cause for alarm, we have the courtesy to believe that all contributors are well intentioned and not intending to cause upset.

This is a courtesy we have arrived at as a almost unmoderated group and is extended to all contributors regardless of their length of membership.

E-group is not a competitive sport, the only 'win' you have is that your future posts may be better considered as a result of the cogency of your previous contributions.

Nick
        Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
        www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

I have known Derek for long enough to know that he is not a trouble maker. I respect his enthusiasm for Macs and especially his expertise on his chosen platform. He never hesitates to help others if he can and that is why he is a valued contributor.

Maybe some words were ill-chosen, but that doesn't change him as a person as far as I am concerned. And he makes some very good points; Olympus users are often derided unfairly by users of other systems and he has experienced the same disrespect by people who are anti-Mac. I think the analogy is very interesting.

I am not 'anti' Mac but I am sensitive to Mac fans who basically say you must have a Mac to progress. My philosophy is that to make a purchasing decision you need to know as much of the facts about the choices before making an informed choice. There are many myths both for and against Macs and even for Windows PCs. My main beef about Macs is their relative expense. I also point out that there is huge choice of hardware for PCs from a large number of big and small name manufacturers, so there is much more variety in both design, features, and cost. Windows 7 is on a par with Mac OS, too - don't be misguided by unhappy memories of XP and Vista.

In the end, make your own choice for what you personally feel is best for you - don't get rail-roaded by anyone evangelising their chosen platform - do the research and you won't go wrong. I could be referring to choosing a camera or a PC.

This forum is, on the whole, one of the friendliest on the Net, with a rich and vibrant membership. Sometimes we should overlook some out of the ordinary posts and concentrate on what is more usual and normal, which thankfully we do most of the time.

Ian
          Last edited by Ian; 25th April 2012, 09:23 AM. Reason: spelling
          Founder and editor of:
          Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
          Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
          Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
          Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
          NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
          sigpic

Comment

Ah Apple :-)

Never had an Apple product, too expensive for me - but every single Apple item I have picked up, every single one, said "Oooh sir: Quality: You should buy me..."

BTW. Last week we spilled a whole cup of hot tea over an Apple Macbook Pro at work. It was placed nose down on the carpet to drip for 20 minutes.

Afterwards? It just worked fine.

Oh well. Back to my cheap and cheerful Dell.

Pete
            Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by snaarman View Post
              Ah Apple :-)

Never had an Apple product, too expensive for me - but every single Apple item I have picked up, every single one, said "Oooh sir: Quality: You should buy me..."

BTW. Last week we spilled a whole cup of hot tea over an Apple Macbook Pro at work. It was placed nose down on the carpet to drip for 20 minutes.

Afterwards? It just worked fine.

Oh well. Back to my cheap and cheerful Dell.

Pete

Pete I LURVE Apple too and have had the first Laptop and a Powerbook as well as a few others for the Desk ALL EXCELLENT Systems Architecture !

Oooh NO! NOT DELL ...

Ian, Eloquently put

At the end of the day (lovverly phrase ...) you buy what you want and can afford
              [I].
              I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
              Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
                Actually - don't be nasty to anyone, it serves no purpose.
                You're kidding, right? I've never seen so much hostility as here. Hostile sarcasm thinly veiled by smileys, snobbery about status, double standards, impenetratable cliques, alphaism ... This place is a psychologist's wet dream!

Comment

I have a PC (been using and professionally supporting PCs since 1989), and recently bought a cheap Macbook (who said they hold their price!) purely to do some things which were unhappy on the PC. Both work equally well and both have their own foibles. They are just machines, after all, but ones which work in sometimes similar and sometimes different ways. Does it matter what we choose if the usage experience and the end result satisfies us?
                  Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

You're kidding, right? I've never seen so much hostility as here. Hostile sarcasm thinly veiled by smileys, snobbery about status, double standards, impenetratable cliques, alphaism ... This place is a psychologist's wet dream!
                    Hostility here...? really...? I must be missing something I'm afraid. There's very little of that here. Do you mean re 'here' in this thread or 'here' as in the site?
                    John

Comment

...and denial.

Comment

I've seen it all now! How do I get my account closed?
                        You still here???
                        All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Comment

Blimey as a non-clique member it's safe to say somebody needs to relax.

To the clique members carry on, there are no issues worth mentioning, its a great place to visit.
                          hearts at peace under an English heaven

Comment

Originally posted by sponner View Post
                            Blimey as a non-clique member it's safe to say somebody needs to relax.

To the clique members carry on, there are no issues worth mentioning, its a great place to visit.
                            delusions too. Interesting. Seems i'm not the only person who found this group a bit hostile after only a small amount of digging.

Keyboard warriors was a word used a lot.

Comment

Working...
                            X