Broadband Experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadband Experiences

I've just spent another hour with BT tech support in India regarding my broadband. It's an absolute joke. Symptoms of the fault are that during the day all works ok and I can achieve about 5.5M download. Since last weekend however at night this drops to 500k. I raised the fault with BT on Thursday night on their broadband fault line 0800 1114567 and so far the responses have been
    Thursday
    Me - my broadband service is only giving a download speed of about 500k.
    BT agent- Your download speed is 4M.
    Me - no it isn't it 500k according to speedtest.net.
    BT agent - no it's 4M.
    Me - it's 500k.
    BT agent ok let me remote assist on your PC. Oh it's 479k according to speedtester.bt.com.
    Me - that's what I told you 15 minutes ago
    BT agent - It's your local area network.
    Me - no it isn't I've already disconnected that and have my primary PC plugged into the back of the router.
    BT agent - Oh. It's your filter.
    Me - OK I've just changed that and it's still 500k
    Me - the fault is the exchange. As I am an ex BT data manager it is obvious the fault is that the broadband equipment in the exchange is over subscribed. That's why I achieve 5M during the day but only 500k at night. The exchange has just been upgraded to fibre to the cabinet which means you are giving more people higher bandwidth but haven't obviously increased the bandwidth out of the exchange to the greater network.
    BT agent - I'll raise a fault which will be sorted by Saturday and I'll call you on your cellphone.
    Today
    Needless to say no call on my cellphone but when I got home from my dog walk this morning BT had called my land line to say all was working. Well no it wasn't - it's a Saturday so more people are a home so my speed is down again. I called back and spent over an hour on automated services or music on hold. Eventually I got through - again to India - asked how to spell my name (J A M E S).
    BT agent - It is electrical impulses on your line caused by devices within the home.
    Me - you are talking complete and utter rubbish. On what do you base that statement?
    BT agent - Ok the line is rain affected.
    Me - that's even more rubbish. Let me speak to your supervisor.
    At which point I was simply put back in the automated service queue. I eventually hang up. I called 151 only to find myself back in the same broadband fault queue. I called 100 and asked to speak to someone in the UK with regard broadband - I end up back in the BT India broadband fault queue. I have a blinding idea and call their sales. I interrupt the sales pitch from what is obviously a UK callcentre and go into my Mr Angry mode threatening to cancel all BT services if this goes on. I'm put on music on hold and then passed back to BT India broadband faults callcentre - at least this time to 2nd level support. He asks me what the problem is - at this point I go into meltdown.
    Can anyone recommend a good, well supported broadband provider? I live in a Virgin cabled area and I'm within 3km of the local BT exchange. I'm looking for one that has UK support - not offshore. It needs to provide line rental and unlimited calls to UK lines free as well as I'm not prepared to deal with two different suppliers. Oh and last thing I will not give a red cent to anything Murdoch.

Rant over..................
    Jamie

Comment

Re: Broadband Experiences

Jamie

With your background you are an ideal person to take up BT scams for us ordinary folk.

What about Ofcom
      What about Advertising watchdog
      Can't you write to you local newpaper & warn the locals about the exchange.

I'm with BT and have to admit that had BT offered any of those "excuses" I would have had to assume they were true given my lack of IT knowledge.

It seems to me the Tech support have a Hymn sheet to read from, to blind the ignorant with "science".

Someone like you could be our champion

Don't let them get away with it
      E1, E520, ED14-42, ED 40-150, 70-300, Various legacy including 50mm f2 macro.

Comment

I'm with Virgin, its ok sometimes and sometimes my router/pc software plays up and I re install (often after a power surge or blip in electric supply - ok it would not be gas ) (phone services can be free nationals and reduce costs to virgin mobs or prepay mobs and nationals - which is cheap if you make lots of calls eg work from home

I fear they all have highs and lows in service - my neighbour is with BT and says thats crap ? He used to work for NTL/Virgin so when he left and had to pay he went BT, he is not happy

My son works for BT and his is an awesome service 1st class superfast ! Son says oftens its 1)ISP puts too many on split service to increase profits and 2)routers/pc software probs 3) when America comes on all it all s l o w s down in the UK !
        [I].
        I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
        Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

For anyone interested in complaining to the CEO of a company this is a good website

http://www.ceoemail.com/

Needless to say I've used it today.
          Jamie

Comment

Jamie, sorry to hear about your frustration
            The formal e-mail complaints page is HERE . That said, I sent a formal complaint in last Wed for a different reason and I still await a reply.

As you say, the slowing down issue may well be due to the contention ratio on your particular DSLAM, but it may also be at a higher level in the network now that Fibre to Cabinet is enabled in your area.

Have you considered going down that route yourself, and applying for BT Infinity. It doesn't work with a Hub Phone; if you have one on your current Home Hub, you would lose the extra line.

Ah, Reading your previous post, I think our posts crossed as I got delayed pressing the send button.
            I believe there is a whole group of people answering complaint emails to him; I also understand that they are taken seriously..
            Best Regards
            Bill

The nearest I have to a home page.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
            They're Watching You!

Comment

Founder and editor of:
              Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
              Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
              Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
              Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
              Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
              Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
              NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
              sigpic

Comment

Jesus 35.6Mb!! I'd kill for that.
                I too am BT Homehub.The download speeds vary enormously

Today 17:13 2622 kbps (328kB/s) 371 kbps (46.4kB/s)
                Today 16:30 1987 kbps (248kB/s) 357 kbps (44.6kB/s)
                Yesterday 21:50 852 kbps (107kB/s) 247 kbps (30.9kB/s)
                Yesterday 21:49 943 kbps (118kB/s) 294 kbps (36.8kB/s)
                Yesterday 21:46 1413 kbps (177kB/s) 305 kbps (38.1kB/s)
                Yesterday 21:45 2398 kbps (300kB/s) 306 kbps (38.3kB/s)
                Yesterday 21:44 1002 kbps (125kB/s) 324 kbps (40.5kB/s)
                Thursday 23:28 2435 kbps (304kB/s) 360 kbps (45kB/s)
                Thursday 21:42 4368 kbps (546kB/s) 378 kbps (47.3kB/s)
                Thursday 21:39 4470 kbps (559kB/s) 339 kbps (42.4kB/s)
                Thursday 21:38 232 kbps (29kB/s) 374 kbps (46.8kB/s)
                Thursday 21:33 531 kbps (66.4kB/s) 245 kbps (30.6kB/s)
                Thursday 21:26 3527 kbps (441kB/s) 378 kbps (47.3kB/s)
                Thursday 16:31 4434 kbps (554kB/s) 324 kbps (40.5kB/s)
                Thursday 16:28 204 kbps (25.5kB/s) 84 kbps (10.5kB/s)
                Wednesday 20:20 4253 kbps (532kB/s) 374 kbps (46.8kB/s)
                Wednesday 20:16 200 kbps (25kB/s) 169 kbps (21.1kB/s)
                Jun 11, 21:13 4380 kbps (548kB/s) 372 kbps (46.5kB/s)
                I wish I knew for sure what the root cause was.

Comment

I use PlusNet - which is a BT owned company - but the support people are in Sheffield, their communication is clear and coherent. They run a very good problem tracking system which the customer can see and add information to as well as the CS guys and gals. So you can see what has or hasn't happened and chase them up.

The CS people monitor at least two forums one the Plusnet section of the ThinkBroadband website. Often issues get resolved in public via the forums

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/

as well as the forum on their own news website
                  http://community.plus.net/

The CS team are very responsive and I have found them very supportive in resolving line issues (I have had three problems) they liaise and chase up Openreach.

I have been with Plusnet for 6 or 7 years and not financially connected with them apart from having a few BT shares.

It is surprising how a subset of BT can be so different and effective cf the big BT company offering.

If you do have line problems you need to get the copper /aluminum cable checked out between your master socket and the street cabinet, it could be a corrosion problem or misaligned pairs - I have both of these problems and it tended to get worse in the evening.

Also do you get noise on the voice line? if so report the issue via the standard phone faults. Also check to see if you can hear the modem syncing so using the quiet line test power up your router modem and listen for a noise starting up when the modem has synced with the ADSL signal.
                  This space for rent

Comment

Ian,
                    FTTC is enabled in my local exchange - ours is one of only 3 in Glasgow. We now have a powered cabinet next to the standard copper Distribution Point at the end of my road. So there is fibre from the exchange to the powered cabinet and copper from the original DP to the houses. There was a local sales push for FTTC a couple of months ago. My guess - as an ex BT datacomms manager - is that what I've got is a contention issue. As it hasn't been there before I'm making a qualified judgement that a number of my neighbours have gone for FTTC and the links from the exchange to the wider BT network cannot cope. Hence the throttling back at peak time but perfectly acceptable 5.5Mb during the day. Funnily enough when I was working for BT I started getting issues with my voice line - no line access between 1800-2000 etc. I reported the fault but didn't let on I worked for the company. Fault came back as no fault found (NFF). I then used my contacts in the special investigation unit to discover they had over subscribed the line finder I was on by a factor of 2. I reported the fault again this time being specific that my line was on an over subscribed line finder and it was resolved immediately. Now that the tech support for broadband is in India that's a bit harder to determine.
                    Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by peak4 View Post
                      Jamie, sorry to hear about your frustration
                      The formal e-mail complaints page is HERE . That said, I sent a formal complaint in last Wed for a different reason and I still await a reply.

As you say, the slowing down issue may well be due to the contention ratio on your particular DSLAM, but it may also be at a higher level in the network now that Fibre to Cabinet is enabled in your area.

Have you considered going down that route yourself, and applying for BT Infinity. It doesn't work with a Hub Phone; if you have one on your current Home Hub, you would lose the extra line.

Ah, Reading your previous post, I think our posts crossed as I got delayed pressing the send button.
                      I believe there is a whole group of people answering complaint emails to him; I also understand that they are taken seriously..
                      Jamie

Comment

My Flickr Home Page

Comment

Originally posted by gregles View Post
                          Jamie,

I am with BT too and I am perfectly happy

Greg
                          Greg,
                          So was I until now. It's only when things went wrong that I encountered the (lack of) support from India. Until more BT customers - and remember that's what we are, we keep them in business - complain about the lack of service from their offshored supply company they won't change. I know from my own company's offshoring to India that the deal is they are paid for every intervention. So if a complaint or fault is not wholly, correctly detailed and is then closed with no result, if a second one is opened they get paid again. It is therefore in their interests to keep things like this going.
                          Jamie

Comment

I have read elsewhere that one can ask to be transferred to a UK based call centre as the line is of poor quality and you cannot understand what is being said.
                            This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                              I have read elsewhere that one can ask to be transferred to a UK based call centre as the line is of poor quality and you cannot understand what is being said.
                              Derek,
                              I tried that - didn't work - still ended up with India.
                              Jamie

Comment

Working...
                              X