Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weather report

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: Weather report

    Originally posted by StephenL View Post
    Nothing but a resolute -2c during the day. No rain, no snow (this time - touch wood!).

    The (fake) Christmas tree has just collapsed, pinning the dog, who has ended up as the prime suspect. Well, it was 10 years old (the tree). SWMB wants another (tree). That means a trip to Bonk & Quiver on Monday. Grrr!
    Well on the bright side they have a lot on offer at half price
    east coast humber has been cold and sunny but no snow for a change
    Cheers

    Mick

    Petroleums Hey
    retired oil boiler

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: Weather report

      An apology from the outset - these two were taken with my G11 . We ventured out in the middle of our five hours of snow today to do some shopping and had therefore to take 'pocket' cameras!

      I know you had a nightmare trip back from Worcester yesterday, Andy, but I think today could have been worse. Our daughter took two hours (15 minute journey normally) to get back from Aylesbury. A41 blocked by accident and she had to return through Aston Clinton. Also road impassable from Hemel Hempstead, so several had to leave cars at Hemel station and get train back - these seemed to be running fine. Buses off road again, not surprisingly.

      Anyway, on way back home, stopped briefly along canal towpath -

      1.



      2.



      Regards,
      Ann1e

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: Weather report

        We've had a good 8" or so around Cardiff. We've had to go out to sort out the horse, otherwise I've had stayed put. The main roads are not too bad, but we had to walk up the side lanes.
        I'll try to post a few images later.
        Cindy

        Cameras: EM1 MK2 and Mk1, E-620, E-410, Om4Ti
        Lenses: 12-60, 50-200, Panny 100-400, 9-18, ZD 50mm, 14-54 Mk1, 70-300, 40-150, 14-42, OM 50mm F3.5 macro
        Also: EC14, EX25, FS35, Vanguard tripod, and far too many bags!

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The air of heaven is that which flows between a horse's ears...."

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: Weather report

          The whole of the Netherlands is covered with a lot of snow varying from 5 to 30 cm. (Sorry, not familiar with counting in inches ), which caused severe problems everywhere, but here in the north (north west)..... nothing at all. Everytime the weather forecast predicts heavy snowfall, but the clouds do not drop anything here. It just freezes a lot, -11 now. This is very good for the condition of the ice in the canals and lakes. When this continues, perhaps we will have a new "Elfstedentocht" - a skating race through the eleven cities (places with city rights) in Friesland of about 200 km. The last one was in 1997 and it would be great to have another one. In the last hundred years there have been 12 of 13 of these races and sometimes just a few of the thousands of people participating arrive at the finish line. So I hope it will continue to freeze continue and please please please no snow!
          Regards,
          Wilma

          E30 / E-PL1 /14-42 mm 1:3,5-5,6 / 40-150 mm 1:4,0-5,6 / 12-60 mm SWD / 70-300 mm /FL-50R / mFT 14-42 mm

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: Weather report

            Nothing wrong with the G11 - its a fantastic camera.

            Well, tomorrow I am driving 200 miles across the country in a mid engined car with T1R's round the wheels. I shall try to not die.

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: Weather report

              -10 here last night. My other half managed to get all the way to the train station and then couldn't get his car up the hill into their carpark. More heavy snow forcast for this evening.

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: Weather report

                I spent the weekend around Newbury on untreated roads with car on Autosocks without (much) incident. However I took them off last night, confident of a thaw, because you shouldn't go over 30mph and they are best kept off tarmac.

                End result, it took me 20 minutes to reverse upwards off my drive this morning

                Pete
                Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.


                Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: Weather report

                  Originally posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
                  Unfortunately people don't understand 4x4 and think it does something magical. Yes - it will pick you out of loose snow/mud etc when other vehicles wont, but if either the front or back wheels are both on ice then the front/back will slide, though given space you may have better chance to recover. But if there is no grip, then there is no grip regardless of the number of wheels turning.

                  Actually it's like cameras - having a good camera does not make you a good photographer, so a good car for rough conditions does not necessarily make a good driver for those conditions.

                  Nick
                  The trouble is most people don't understand the difference between 4x4 power and difflock. with difflock you don't have the problem you outline (well it's much reduced) and one good gripping wheel can make the difference. However many modern 4x4 cars don't have difflock.

                  4wd does spread the power so makes any sliding more predictable if like mine your car is RWD when in 2WD

                  I've so far engaged 4wd about 1/2 a dozen times this year and only once gone into low ratio/difflock and that was to get around a stuck car. I've not used my snow chains at all yet.

                  As has been said it's not just about tools it's about training and experience

                  Regards
                  Andy
                  My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
                  4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
                  m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
                  FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
                  The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

                  My places
                  http://www.shenstone.me.uk http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
                  https://vimeo.com/shenstone http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: Weather report

                    Originally posted by shenstone View Post
                    The trouble is most people don't understand the difference between 4x4 power and difflock. with difflock you don't have the problem you outline (well it's much reduced) and one good gripping wheel can make the difference. However many modern 4x4 cars don't have difflock.

                    4wd does spread the power so makes any sliding more predictable if like mine your car is RWD when in 2WD

                    I've so far engaged 4wd about 1/2 a dozen times this year and only once gone into low ratio/difflock and that was to get around a stuck car. I've not used my snow chains at all yet.

                    As has been said it's not just about tools it's about training and experience

                    Regards
                    Andy
                    Even with locked diffs you actually only even have 2 wheels driving - one wheel on each axle and in theory the only time you have all 4 wheels driving would be when all 4 wheels have exactly the same amount of grip - which is only likely on a flat, level and even road surface - exactly when you shouldn't be using 4 wheel drive. Unless of course you have some fancy cross axel diff locks - which are a very specialist modification and to my knowledge is not standard on any 4x4 in production.

                    That said the difference that one extra wheel turning on the front axel makes is incredible especially with the right tyre on. I think the biggest problem with 4 wheel drives are the idiots behind the wheel who don't realise that they are just as useless at stopping on snow and ice as any other vehicle on the road if you touch the brakes. Engine braking is of course alot easier in a proper 4x4 - which is designed to do but the toy 4x4s I've seen behave like a car and run away on you.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: Weather report

                      Just ordered some Autosocks....at least I'll be prepared for the next lot of bad weather, even if I can't get out and about at the moment!

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: Weather report

                        Originally posted by snaarman View Post
                        I spent the weekend around Newbury on untreated roads with car on Autosocks without (much) incident.


                        Mmm I bet there's a story there!

                        Regards

                        Gavin

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: Weather report

                          Originally posted by gno View Post
                          Mmm I bet there's a story there!

                          Regards

                          Gavin

                          Yers..

                          I developed more confidence with each mile. So far so good... so far so good :-)

                          Then Saturday night, about -4 deg I turned carefully left from one untreated road onto another one. The socks on the front did their job. The rear unsocked tyres went walkabout. I caught the slide and straightened us up, but it was a reminder how little grip there actually was.

                          Long time since I lost the back of a front wheel drive car at just over walking pace :-)

                          Pete
                          Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.


                          Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: Weather report

                            Our 'new' (07) Mazda 6 threw its serpentine (ancillary) belt yesterday morning when I tried to start it - looks like the water pump was frozen. No problems at all during the cold snaps since we have had it, so this problem is a bit of a surprise and very depressing after all the other problems we've had with cars this year.

                            And I couldn't get the other car home on Saturday afternoon and had to lug all the shopping (and a 10kg bag of house coal) up the hill home

                            Ian
                            Founder and editor of:
                            Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                            Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                            Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                            Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

                            Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                            NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: Weather report

                              Cold

                              Although we live in Hertfordshire, we are on the Buckinghamshire border and Chesham (where, incidentally, we used to live) had the lowest recorded temperature in the UK over Saturday/Sunday -

                              'A temperature of -19.6C was recorded at Chesham between Saturday night and Sunday morning, the Met Office said.'

                              This is probably about three miles from us as the crow flies!

                              Regards,
                              Ann1e

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: Weather report

                                Originally posted by tomke View Post
                                The whole of the Netherlands is covered with a lot of snow varying from 5 to 30 cm. (Sorry, not familiar with counting in inches ), which caused severe problems everywhere, but here in the north (north west)..... nothing at all. Everytime the weather forecast predicts heavy snowfall, but the clouds do not drop anything here. It just freezes a lot, -11 now. This is very good for the condition of the ice in the canals and lakes. When this continues, perhaps we will have a new "Elfstedentocht" - a skating race through the eleven cities (places with city rights) in Friesland of about 200 km. The last one was in 1997 and it would be great to have another one. In the last hundred years there have been 12 of 13 of these races and sometimes just a few of the thousands of people participating arrive at the finish line. So I hope it will continue to freeze continue and please please please no snow!
                                No problem - 30cm is roughly a foot, or 12 inches

                                Ian
                                Founder and editor of:
                                Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                                Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                                Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                                Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

                                Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                                Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                                Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                                NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X