Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That Forum again..

Hi All,

I've recently been reading Talk Photography forums again and I gotta admit its a superb resource and I've enjoyed reading the forums (I don't post often)

However the lack of respect Olympus gets on the forum is shocking. I came across this post with someone asking about a 40 - 150 lens.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/for...56#post3192256

within the post there was this comment

What is the camera you are looking at? Is it an Olympus 4/3 or a "proper" DSLR?
    and this

By choosing the 4/3 route, you have made explaining things really hard, as its all different to a "normal" sensor!!
    Now maybe I'm being over sensitive but WTF?! Since when would you call a Oly not a "proper" DSLR? Perhaps its meant tongue in cheek?

Re: That Forum again..

it's amazing how much anti-Olympus feeling there is out there. At least the poor chap got some useful help in the end - and hopefully he'll find his way to this forum.....!
    Cindy

Cameras: EM1 MK2 and Mk1, E-620, E-410, Om4Ti
    Lenses: 12-60, 50-200, Panny 100-400, 9-18, ZD 50mm, 14-54 Mk1, 70-300, 40-150, 14-42, OM 50mm F3.5 macro
    Also: EC14, EX25, FS35, Vanguard tripod, and far too many bags!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The air of heaven is that which flows between a horse's ears...."

Comment

Snap Garrie.... I was reading the exact same post earlier and have to agree with you with regard to the heavy anti Oly comments that occasionally surface over on TP.
      Having read that thread I thought I would drop in with a more positive and level headed comment at the end as well as try to help Liam out.

I tend to do a quick search on TP for Olympus discussions every now and again to see if there is anything worth dropping in on.

I would say it's not only Olympus that gets the occasional rough treatment but I've seen Pentax suffers too (being an ex-Pentax user).
      Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
      Capture One Pro
      My flickr

Comment

We are dealing with ignorance on these forums, folk have no idea whether Oly is good bad or indifferent but have an "opinion" based on what others tell them who are equally ignorant.
        The best way is to post top quality images to the forums but not state what equipment it was taken with, wait for the comments about how sharp the image is, what good quality etc then tell them it was taken with an E series camera at high ISO, that usually results in silence not surprisingly.

Paul

Comment

Take what you read on TP with a pinch of salt. The ignorance there is disturbing, the rudeness frightening but I've learnt how to dish it out, too (even to the point of getting suspended ).

I once started a thread advocating that the E3 was a better camera for wildlife (taking into account the x2 crop factor and the lenses available) than the Nikon D3. That really stirred things up, but the Nikon boys had no answer to my arguments - except one, who resorted to "It's the photographer that counts, not the camera!"
          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Yep, totally agree with you Garrie. I've just posted.

The shamefull thing is though, that the mods do absolutely nothing about it, nothing at all. Yet if I were to make any comment about any other brand, I'd be suspended. Simple as.
            John

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
              ... I've learnt how to dish it out, too (even to the point of getting suspended ). ...
              I'm sure I came this close myself. The mods have a difficult job I guess.

I am constantly amazed at how many bad

Comment

Now that is one of the reasons i hardly post there any more!

Well done guys for speaking up for the system, It was great reading all of your comments. I just wish i had the balls and tech info to do it myself

I wonder what they'll say next HaHA

Chris
                Chris

Comment

It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
                    Yep, totally agree with you Garrie. I've just posted.

The shamefull thing is though, that the mods do absolutely nothing about it, nothing at all. Yet if I were to make any comment about any other brand, I'd be suspended. Simple as.
                    Oh dear John, it looks like you've been shown a little discipline

While TCR4x4 is trying to wriggle out / justify his initial statement...

I must admit it is difficult to judge whether his comment was in jest, ignorance or with some purpose.....
                    Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
                    Capture One Pro
                    My flickr

Comment

Hehe, I know... aren't I a naughty boy?. The thing is Huw, it is commonplace on TP that comments such as those made by 4x4 go unchecked, but if anyone dares challenge or deride Canikon then they are dealt with.

I couldn't care less about being suspended, but the only thing I am slightly annoyed with is I am helping organise a trip for members on that forum to the Brecon Beacons tomorrow morning, and people are looking to me to post information and updates etc. I sent that twit mod Matty a message saying if he were to suspend me, do so tomorrow because others might be not able to get in touch with me, but he has suspended me and sent me a message saying... "you should have thought about that before taking it into your own hands".

Says it all really. It won't affect me, but it will possibly affect others - and that's the PM I get from him with the ability to reply taken away from me. Ho hum.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Greytop View Post
                        Oh dear John, it looks like you've been shown a little discipline

While TCR4x4 is trying to wriggle out / justify his initial statement...

I must admit it is difficult to judge whether his comment was in jest, ignorance or with some purpose.....
                        Well done John for being suspended
                        Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Well yes it does all seem all a bit uneven handed, I have seen similar comments about minority hardware go unchecked where as Canikon always seems to be steadfastly protected

By the way I hope you manage to sort out the communications for your trip, it would be a shame is that was spoiled as a result if this.
                          Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
                          Capture One Pro
                          My flickr

Comment

Originally posted by benvendetta View Post
                            Well done John for being suspended
                            Others have done far worse Dave, and yet had nothing done to them. It's all about power to one jumped up Mod (Matty), and the fact that TP is simply massively biased in favour of Nikon and Canon.

I join the ranks of Zuiko hehe
                            John

Comment

Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
                              Others have done far worse Dave, and yet had nothing done to them. It's all about power to one jumped up Mod (Matty), and the fact that TP is simply massively biased in favour of Nikon and Canon.

I join the ranks of Zuiko hehe
                              Congratulations John

Just a thought about your trip, if all of the dealings where done in thread then maybe one of us could help you out and pass on the details?
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X