Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tripods

Originally posted by chris View Post
    The only time I abandon the tripod is during the deer rut.
    So that you can run away faster?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
      One big advantage of a tripod is that it maintains your precise composition for as long as you need. This is very useful if you are seeking to capture fleeting light on a landscape. If working hand held, when the light finally comes you have to quickly recompose before taking the shot and by the time you have done this the light may have gone. If you are already set up on a tripod you only have to click the shutter when the decisive moment arrives. I'm a big fan of tripods for landscape work.
      If I felt I really needed a tripod for a particular shot I would set shutter delay of a couple of seconds to allow any vibration from pushing the release button to subside.

Harold
      The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Ever thought about a monopod?

Also useful as a walking stick (if you get the right one) and even a safety stick for if you encounter snakes, angry dogs, brexiteers, politicians, etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith-369 View Post
          Ever thought about a monopod?

Also useful as a walking stick (if you get the right one) and even a safety stick for if you encounter snakes, angry dogs, brexiteers, politicians, etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
            If I felt I really needed a tripod for a particular shot I would set shutter delay of a couple of seconds to allow any vibration from pushing the release button to subside.

Harold
            Yes, I do too.
            John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post

Harold
              That's where OI.Share works well, if you have a suitable smartphone and camera.
              Saves carrying a remote as well, and if really nesh, could set up the camera and retire to the car whist waiting.
              Best Regards
              Bill

The nearest I have to a home page.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
              They're Watching You!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeOxon View Post
                ...On cheaper models, watch out for plastic parts, such as leg-locks, that will break with repeated use ...
                Neewer Carbon Fiber 66 inches/168 centimeters Camera Tripod Monopod with 360 Degree Ball Head, Quick Shoe Plate, Fluid Drag Pan Head for DSLR Cameras Video Camcorders, Load Capacity up to 26.5 pounds
                Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                Learn something new every day

Comment

This one
                  Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
                  Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by blackfox View Post
                    Ah yes , but there is a BUT you have not previously owned or used a mkii as the others have pointed out it does negate the need for a tripod .. in fact the shutter button is so sensitive unless you use a remote you will probably do more harm than good ..
                    Even with the pl100-400 which only uses lens I.s a tripod is still not needed ,and among other friends that use e.mix bodies with the 300f4 plus tc I have yet to see a tripod used ..

But if you still feel the need just get a cheap one
                    Why would you suggest balancing expensive kit on a cheap tripod?
                    Quite often price is reflected in the build quality and stability
                    Apart from the risk of damage should a part fail also likely to be unstable or the head loose.
                    Seems daft to pay out good money on camera and lens to then scrimp on something that affects the picture quality.
                    Personally think you should buy the best you can afford, ain't no pockets in a shroud
                    Another good reason is its nice to own quality gear, had a Gitzo and more recently FLM
                    tripods. No regrets buying them, legs lock with half a twist, light and rigid, excellent build quality too.

Comment

Thanks to you all for so much advice and information. I think i.m probably going to keep looking, sounds like the ball head is the type to go for. Ive been looking through all the info you have posted and I think im going to perhaps up by budget to 100 maybe.

i do plan on long exposure and astro so tripod essential for me.

The k&f do look the best value still.

Will keep you updated

Thanks Again

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X