External SSD drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: External SSD drive

My 2010 MacBook Pro died recently so I bought a secondhand 2012 model, doing fine now and I even get to upgrade the OS too. Bought specifically so I could slot the 2010s SSD straight in there. Later models have SSDs with a non-standard interface or are soldered to m/b. Very short sighted of Apple.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
      Thanks again. I need to understand the Clonezilla programme. It says it needs certain parameters to work.

" and it is used to deploy many computers simultaneously. It is an extremely useful tool, however, it does have several limitations. In order to use it, you must first prepare a DRBL server AND the machine to be deployed must boot from a network (e.g. PXE/iPXE).",

Comment

I used minitool partition wizard to partition the SSD.

See this video.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnHcJrNc7Og"]How to Upgrade Laptop Hard Drive To SSD Without Reinstalling Windows (Keep All Files & Apps) - YouTube[/ame]

I bought my SSD from here highly recommended.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-co...sd-solid-state

I got the 500GB Samsung 860 it was on a promo when I bought it but it has gone up a bit now.

I also got an external case so that I could transfer the software across and then
        after doing the swap

install the old hard drive in the case and use it for taking backups.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Tool-.../dp/B00OJ3UJ2S
        Dave

My Flickr

Comment

I used 'EaseUS Todo Backup Free' to clone my hard drive to my Samsung EVO SSD 1T in the case I mentioned earlier. Quite easy and worked first time. Just replace your original drive with the SSD (after removing it from the USB3 case, of course) and boot up.
          You will find that the drive 1T drive is split into two sections so it's up to you if you use a program to join them or do as I did and keep the operating system and all programs on 'C' and rename the other section 'Z' or whatever to store all your data.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith-369 View Post
            You will find that the drive 1T drive is split into two sections so it's up to you if you use a program to join them or do as I did and keep the operating system and all programs on 'C' and rename the other section 'Z' or whatever to store all your data.
            I've never understood all that nonsense of A, B, C etc. 'drives' that M.S. use. I guess that it dates back to MSDOS. Linux (and I guess Macs) do it much more sensibly.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
              I've never understood all that nonsense of A, B, C etc. 'drives' that M.S. use. I guess that it dates back to MSDOS. Linux (and I guess Macs) do it much more sensibly.

Jim
              It does indeed date back to MS DOS. The boot drive for MS DOS was A:\. Once DOS was loaded you took the disk out and loaded programmes. Data was loaded and saved to B:\ drive

C:\ drive came into its own with the advent of hard drives, which were often fitted as an accessory later in the life of the PC.

A and B are still reserved for floppy disk drives. I have tried but cannot assign those letters to any other type of drive.
              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

You don't need any additional software. Simply create a 'disk image' in Windows saved onto an external drive, then restore that disk image to your new SSD. Simples.

The only restriction is that the target drive must be at lest as large as the original. I you have space left over you can either expand C:\ drive to fill the available space or create a partition which can eb assigned a drive letter. All of this can be done within Windows.
                ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
                  My 2010 MacBook Pro died recently so I bought a secondhand 2012 model, doing fine now and I even get to upgrade the OS too. Bought specifically so I could slot the 2010s SSD straight in there. Later models have SSDs with a non-standard interface or are soldered to m/b. Very short sighted of Apple.
                  ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I don’t think there is a current MacBook with an SD slot, they’ve all just got the USB-C sockets, nothing else.

Comment

Of course it won't fit a large drive into a smaller one - quart into a pint pot!

Jim

Comment

He bought it last year, refurbished from Apple. It is a nice enough machine if you forget the limitations but is clearly designed to be not upgradable.

The thing that really irritated me with his old MaBook was that the power button was in the same place as backspace button on my Toshiba at the time. And so every time I wanted to delete something...
                        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Just received the 1TB SSD. And confirm its faster than the 1TB hard disk, but not as much as I had hoped. The internal SSD is on its way, and thus hope to have a positive result eventually.

Comment

Its the internal one that will make all the difference. Fingers crossed
                            Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                              Its the internal one that will make all the difference. Fingers crossed
                              As long as the cloning works...…………………..:-(

Comment

Looks though the cloning has worked... this disk G has everything on the C hard disk in the computer....

Is there any way to boot up the computer from this disk...?

Comment

Working...
                                X