• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Ford
    replied
    Re: Calibrating monitor(s)

Printer profiling problem now sorted.

The profiling went OK and soft proofing also looked OK, but the printed output had a heavy yellow cast. I have a Canon iP7250 printer and for some reason the installed driver was for the iP7250 XPS printer:

"The XPS printer driver, when used in conjunction with printers such as those in Canon's line of PIXMA printers, can create 16-BPC prints, resulting in a more accurate print of your digital file."

I changed the driver to the non XPS version and the printer output is OK.

I'm not sure why it should make such a big difference - I would have though that the profiling process should correct any driver difference.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Jim Ford
    replied

Originally posted by Rawcoll View Post
    In what way don't they match? Are the prints a lot darker than your monitor or are the colours out? If the former it usually means that your monitor is too bright. The colour match won't be perfect as one is emitted light and the other is reflected light, but providing you use the correct profile for the printer and paper it shouldn't be a mile out. If you use a separate printer profile, have you got the printer's colour management turned OFF? What software are you printing from? Are you creating your own print profiles or using the manufacturer's generic one?
    The colours are 'off' (overall yellow cast). Brightness is O.K..

I use an Xrite ColorMunki Photo device to calibrate my monitor, which turns out fine. Then using the printer profile function to produce a profile for the 3rd party paper and inks that I use. I then select the generated profile for printing from within Photoshop. There are lots of pre-installed printer profiles to select from, none of them relevant to the sort of work I do. I think that I'll create a directory to move them to, and then start again with 'a clean sheet'.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Rawcoll
    replied

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
    Different issue: For the life of me, I can't get a decent match between the calibrated display and printer output. I must be missing something as it's way out!

Jim
    In what way don't they match? Are the prints a lot darker than your monitor or are the colours out? If the former it usually means that your monitor is too bright. The colour match won't be perfect as one is emitted light and the other is reflected light, but providing you use the correct profile for the printer and paper it shouldn't be a mile out. If you use a separate printer profile, have you got the printer's colour management turned OFF? What software are you printing from? Are you creating your own print profiles or using the manufacturer's generic one?

Leave a comment:

• Jim Ford
    replied

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
    Jim, as I understand it, your monitor and printer both have their own colour profiles. The Colour Munki adjusts the monitor profile but doesn't normally affect the printer profile.
    There're two distinct and separate operations with the ColorMunki Photo. One to calibrate the monitor by measuring colour patches displayed on the screen. The other for printers where 100 colour patches are printed, and you scan them with the device to produce the printer profile.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Naughty Nigel
    replied

Different issue: For the life of me, I can't get a decent match between the calibrated display and printer output. I must be missing something as it's way out!

Jim
    Jim, as I understand it, your monitor and printer both have their own colour profiles. The Colour Munki adjusts the monitor profile but doesn't normally affect the printer profile.

I cannot tell you how to resolve this but I would be interested to know what the answer is.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Ford
    replied

I just went to calibrate my printer with my ColorMunki Photo.

The device stubbornly refused to connect and be recognised. After some research on the Net I found that Argyll and DisplayCal that I had installed and used to calibrate my monitor prevents the Xrite software, including printer calibration being used.

I had to remove the Argyll driver and DisplayCal before the Xrite sotware detected the ColorMunki. It was a bit of a pain!

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Wreckdiver
    replied

Compared to the Xrite software for the ColorMunki Photo, DisplayCal seems more thorough. Xrite takes about 5 mins to calibrate the screen, whereas DisplayCal takes around 30 mins, with many more steps. As I said earlier, it's transformed the display on my laptop.

Jim
    It took 45 mins to 1 hour to calibrate each of my monitors.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Jim Ford
    replied

Compared to the Xrite software for the ColorMunki Photo, DisplayCal seems more thorough. Xrite takes about 5 mins to calibrate the screen, whereas DisplayCal takes around 30 mins, with many more steps. As I said earlier, it's transformed the display on my laptop.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Wreckdiver
    replied

Latest news. Having had a play with DisplayCal and some trial and error I eventually ended up with both my 4k monitors calibrated and looking superb. My primary monitor needed two attempts after the first cal produced a very noticeable blue white but after the second calibration it matched the colours of the second monitor and the colours on both look spot on. The third monitor improved but I'm not really bothered as I only use it for other Windows stuff.

Anyway, very pleased indeed and a big thank you to everyone's comments and suggestions. Much appreciated.

You can all buy yourselves a beer on me

Steve

Leave a comment:

• digi2ap
    replied

Another X-Rite i1Display Pro user here and results have been good. Note that images can often appear less contrasty after colour balancing.

Leave a comment:

• Rawcoll
    replied

Originally posted by Tram View Post
    Happy with my prints so that will do for me, took a bit of time, but all part of the fun.
    To be honest if it wasn't a hobby no way would I print at home, far too costly and time consuming.
    I agree. But that's what it's all about isn't it? After all, we wouldn't even buy a camera based purely on economics (unless we run a business based on it)!

Leave a comment:

• Tram
    replied

Originally posted by Rawcoll View Post
    Well two things. It is not essential that you calibrate your printer. But you do need to use a profile matched to the paper and printer. Whether you use a generic profile supplied by the paper manufacturer, a profile custom made by the supplier using colour patches that you print from your printer (should be better), or whether you create the profile yourself, is your choice. I'd only say that I believe that there is a lot more to the latter than meets the eye, and getting a good profile might not be so easy.

If you follow the latter route, then the ColorMunki screen calibrator might be able to do the same task (I'm not familiar with that device), but I think with the Spyder X, which is specifically for screen calibration, you will need a separate patch reader device (after all, the patch needs to be illuminated). Certainly that was the case with my Spyder 3.
    You are correct Ian about needing a separate print reader when using the Spyder device.
    My preferred solution was to print off the Permajet supplied test pages, print and send to them for a custom ICC profile.
    Many paper companies offer this service, just a matter of selecting your favourite medium(s)
    Happy with my prints so that will do for me, took a bit of time, but all part of the fun.
    To be honest if it wasn't a hobby no way would I print at home, far too costly and time consuming.

Leave a comment:

• Rawcoll
    replied

Having calibrated your monitor, you then need to calibrate your printer to produce a profile.
    The procedure used on the ColorMunki (I expect the Spyder to be similar) is basically that you produce a swatch of printed colour patches, which you scan with the ColorMunki. The device 'sees' differences between what colours it scans and what they should be, and produces a profile based on the differences.
    Well two things. It is not essential that you calibrate your printer. But you do need to use a profile matched to the paper and printer. Whether you use a generic profile supplied by the paper manufacturer, a profile custom made by the supplier using colour patches that you print from your printer (should be better), or whether you create the profile yourself, is your choice. I'd only say that I believe that there is a lot more to the latter than meets the eye, and getting a good profile might not be so easy.

If you follow the latter route, then the ColorMunki screen calibrator might be able to do the same task (I'm not familiar with that device), but I think with the Spyder X, which is specifically for screen calibration, you will need a separate patch reader device (after all, the patch needs to be illuminated). Certainly that was the case with my Spyder 3.

Leave a comment:

• Tram
    replied

Originally posted by blu-by-u View Post
    Why did you not start this a few months earlier. :cry

I just got the SpyderX as my screen do not match my prints. I have the older Spyder3 but I thought it was old and the calibration is no longer accurate.

The SpyderX made my screen too bright. I have turned it back down since and my prints are still too dark.

So what does this DisplayCal do? Replace that Spyder's software?
    It does replace the Spyder software, believe it works with the cheapest of the Spyder colorimeters.
    I bought the 5 to replace my old 2 when I bought a new monitor.
    Saw a few references to DisplayCal and thought why not give it a go, very glad I did

Leave a comment:

• Jim Ford
    replied

Originally posted by blu-by-u View Post
    The SpyderX made my screen too bright. I have turned it back down since and my prints are still too dark.
    Having calibrated your monitor, you then need to calibrate your printer to produce a profile.
    The procedure used on the ColorMunki (I expect the Spyder to be similar) is basically that you produce a swatch of printed colour patches, which you scan with the ColorMunki. The device 'sees' differences between what colours it scans and what they should be, and produces a profile based on the differences.

So what does this DisplayCal do? Replace that Spyder's software?
    [/quote]

DisplayCal replaces the Xrite software for the ColorMunki.

Jim

Leave a comment:

Working...
X