Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to snap a Mongoose at night without a flash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Ford
    replied
    Re: How to snap a Mongoose at night without a flash?

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
    You can see the raccoon video it captured at
    https://www.bmyers.com/public/back-yard-trail-cam.cfm
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Olymbro...ref=nb_sb_noss

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Gate Keeper
    replied

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
    Mongoose's were introduced to Hawaii many years ago. They scurry around the bushes during the day, unsure of their prey in Hawaii...……

Scraggy things really...…...

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/hisc/info/inv...iles/mongoose/
    Thanks Mark for the information about the Mongoose and the trail cameras. Since the increased patrols at night by the guards, I have not seen the Mongoose or the intruder come back. I discovered the place where the Mongoose family sleeps, behind a shed in the woods and down a hole not far from the house

Leave a comment:

• MJ224
    replied

From bill Myers....

Bill Myers Tip of the Week - June 22, 2019
    ================================================== =============
    Why you'll want a trailcam in your back yard

After reading about the wildlife roaming our Florida neighborhood at
    night, my wife said she wanted a game camera - one with a motion detector that
    would automatically capture photos and videos of animals that passed by.

Not wanting to spend a lot of money, I opted for a weatherproof Olymbros IP65.
    It has motion detection, night vision and can capture 16MP photos and 1080P
    HD video.

I wasn't sure how much wildlife we have in our backyard or if the camera would
    capture any images, but it has.

In fact, the first night it recorded video of two raccoons playing in one of
    our palm trees. Since then, it has recorded videos of large tropical birds,
    an alligator, and our lawn guy working in the yard.

The camera was $53.99 on Amazon, and so far, we've been impressed with the
    images and videos it's captured.

You can see the raccoon video it captured at
    https://www.bmyers.com/public/back-yard-trail-cam.cfm

After you watch it, you might want one of these cams in your back yard too. Or
    one by your front door or overlooking your car.

We found the one we have on Amazon at https://amzn.to/2IUCqBp

Bill
    ================================================== ===

Hope that is some use information wise....

Leave a comment:

• MJ224
    replied

Mongoose's were introduced to Hawaii many years ago. They scurry around the bushes during the day, unsure of their prey in Hawaii...……

Scraggy things really...…...

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/hisc/info/inv...iles/mongoose/

Leave a comment:

• MJ224
    replied

Looks like that site does not do Browning any more.

From the Browning web site (USA) they offer a BTC-5HDP, Maybe I misread the label, I will check....(I did)

https://browningtrailcameras.com/pro...20710747734129https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BROWNING-...gAAOSw70NdBlre
    Last edited by MJ224; 21st June 2019, 04:36 PM. Reason: Getting it right.......

Leave a comment:

• Jim Ford
    replied

Hmm - I checked on the site and it isn't listed.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• MJ224
    replied

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
    It looks much better than the cheap one I bought. Which model is it?

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Gate Keeper
    replied

Originally posted by blu-by-u View Post
    Can you shoot (with a gun) him (intruder)? I mean lawfully as he is in your compound or can you do that only if he is trying to break in?

The country of my residence, pretty ok but you need to be aware. If in town, just have to beware of snatch thieves. they come in motorbikes and just pull. Many cases where the victim was dragged by them. I hardly walk around alone with my camera around my neck. If I am going to do any street photography, I usually go around in a group.

House breakin and robbery do occur so does murders. Our gun control is very tight and not everyone can own any firearm. So I cannot shoot an intruder unless with a camera.

That flash shot even at ISO1600 is very clean
    It depends on the circumstances and if the firearm is licensed or not. If it is not, even in self defense, if the case is proven against, it’s a lengthy prison sentence, but there are ways around this which I won’t go into. To hold a firearms certificate, it’s an annual thing. People with a history of mental illness would fail the application process. Outside of the city in the bush, it’s not an uncommon sight to see herdsmen guarding their cattle/livestock with AK47s. Thank you for replying about crime and street photography in your country and for your comment about the high ISO night shot, a big thank you, appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Ford
    replied

It looks much better than the cheap one I bought. Which model is it?

Jim

Leave a comment:

• blu-by-u
    replied

Originally posted by Gate Keeper View Post
    And what is sad, is that we get hardened to it and we have to keep weapons and firearms in the house to protect ourselves. It is a beautiful country, but it has a dark side to it and that is crime. I suspect the intruder was scouting for his gang as it is the 2nd time he has visited in the past 2 weeks. He got away last night. What is crime like where you are?
    Can you shoot (with a gun) him (intruder)? I mean lawfully as he is in your compound or can you do that only if he is trying to break in?

The country of my residence, pretty ok but you need to be aware. If in town, just have to beware of snatch thieves. they come in motorbikes and just pull. Many cases where the victim was dragged by them. I hardly walk around alone with my camera around my neck. If I am going to do any street photography, I usually go around in a group.

House breakin and robbery do occur so does murders. Our gun control is very tight and not everyone can own any firearm. So I cannot shoot an intruder unless with a camera.

That flash shot even at ISO1600 is very clean

Leave a comment:

• Gate Keeper
    replied

Hi Mark, thank you for the link and for the sample video photo. I liked the clarity from the still you captured. I looked at the website for wild life cameras. Lots of reading and decision making. We had CCTV at the house in London which had wifi so I could keep an eye on the house whilst I was in Kenya. I left the CCTV behind when I moved from London to Bristol last November. It came with hard drive and a 500MB memory, which lasted for 3 months before it rolled over. I left the cameras up on the house and took the hard drive with me to Bristol. My wife said I was not to go up the ladder to remove the cameras. I obeyed

What sort of memory do you have on yours?

Leave a comment:

• Gate Keeper
    replied

Originally posted by blu-by-u View Post
    Sad to hear that. I have heard of violence there but never knew it was that bad. Please stay safe.
    And what is sad, is that we get hardened to it and we have to keep weapons and firearms in the house to protect ourselves. It is a beautiful country, but it has a dark side to it and that is crime. I suspect the intruder was scouting for his gang as it is the 2nd time he has visited in the past 2 weeks. He got away last night. What is crime like where you are?

Leave a comment:

• Gate Keeper
    replied

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
    Could you run a mains cable from a plug in dimmer to a tungsten bulb near to where they will be? That way you could build up some illumination without startling them. Or maybe put a battery operated PIR light down there that will trigger when they are in the area. They will soon get used to it.
    I forgot to say how we have sliding patio glass doors and just before dark, I saw the mongoose standing up on its hind feet, peering in. We both saw each other and it was not freaked out by my appearance. Whilst I am in the UK, I may well get a trail camera and set it up when I get back. It certainly would be useful to see the other wild life at night: Porcupines, Aardvark, Leopard, rats, wild dogs, to name a few. Thank you for your suggestions to put up a battery operated PIR light or run a mains cable/tungsten light.

Its most kind of you and everyone to help with these useful suggestions and advice

Leave a comment:

• Gate Keeper
    replied

Originally posted by Wildwood View Post
    The Mongoose isn't going to attack you unless you corner it and try to grab it. If it senses you're there it'll run away.

Photographing animals in the dark can be rather challenging. Even if you have a powerful enough flash you have the problem of how to focus the camera. Many years ago, before I located their sett, I used to photograph Badgers in the dark. The method I used was to put down a handful of peanuts then focus the camera on that spot whilst I still had light. It was then a matter of waiting, often for hours, for a Badger to come along and find the peanuts.

But without a decent flash that option probably won't work for you. What you could try is to set the camera up outside with a wide-angle lens set to manual focus and use hyperfocal focusing to set a really deep depth of field. Then trigger the camera from a distance using OI Share if/when the Mongoose moves into the in-focus area.
    Thank you and thanks again for your experiences in taking photos at night, the badgers and the peanut bait, most kind.

Depending on the setting, a flash is not always required. An example is here from a photo I shot in reflected light from a floodlit water hole in East Tsavo. I did not want to spook or stampede the elephants with the flash going off......

Elephant and Storks at the water hole in reflected light, no flash by philip Gate Keeper, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• blu-by-u
    replied

Sad to hear that. I have heard of violence there but never knew it was that bad. Please stay safe.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X