X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MJ224
    replied
    Re: Rumours that Sony has made a 32MP MFT sensor

Thanks Dave, sounds a good system to me. Also interesting articles on the same page...

Leave a comment:

• wornish
    replied

I know the feeling

Have a look at this.

https://www.ubergizmo.com/what-is/pixel-binning-camera/

Leave a comment:

• MikeOxon
    replied

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
    .......... in context it's combining, say, 4 pixels worth of data, eg 64MB becomes 16MB as in the Samsung device referenced above. Great isn't it! ��
    There's a certain logic to it, since any sensor with a Bayer array combines information from 4 photo-sites, to create new pixels with colour information. The final 'resolution' of the image is a matter for debate, since each pixel contains information derived from adjacent pixels.

In other words, all digital colour cameras (except those with Foveon sensors) do a certain amount of 2x2 binning - Samsung are being honest about it!

Leave a comment:

• Ricoh
    replied

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
    I could look it up, but what is Pixel binning...………….

Used to be a techie, but its all running much faster than I can (or care too)
    It's taking a photo, Mark, then moments later binning-it after chimping.

That's true, but in context it's combining, say, 4 pixels worth of data, eg 64MB becomes 16MB as in the Samsung device referenced above. Great isn't it! ��

Leave a comment:

• MJ224
    replied

Originally posted by wornish View Post
    I must be clairvoyant. Seems Samsung has confirmed what I said earlier, the main benefit of more pixels will be achieved by using 2x2 pixel binning (They call it TetraCell technology) to increase dynamic range and reduce noise. The output will be a 16 MPix file.

Leave a comment:

• wornish
    replied

I must be clairvoyant. Seems Samsung has confirmed what I said earlier, the main benefit of more pixels will be achieved by using 2x2 pixel binning (They call it TetraCell technology) to increase dynamic range and reduce noise. The output will be a 16 MPix file.

Leave a comment:

• Ricoh
    replied

How's about 64MP from Samsung

https://petapixel.com/2019/05/09/sam...eid=2a426fcff6

Leave a comment:

• The Technician
    replied

Leave a comment:

• drmarkf
    replied

As for the 32MP, we honestly don't really need it, but it is progress. In the future, if I was choosing a new camera, I would really consider the 32MP, not because I need it, but it is more likely to be a better product in the end...
    Yes, I certainly don’t need 32Mp for the (mainly fast moving) stuff I do, and I’d just have to spend more on file storage and processing power, but I would be interested if as a result we gained 2/3 or more of a stop signal-to-noise ratio via pixel-binning or similar. In the typical U.K. light situation it would allow a click or two extra shutter speed that would make a big difference to critical sharpness rates for, say, birds in flight in the early morning.

It would need to be matched by sufficient processing speed in the body so the buffer could cope, of course.

Leave a comment:

• Ricoh
    replied

I need it, but it is more likely to be a better product in the end...
    We're all learning are we not. I try to learn something new photographically every day, just one item and then incorporate it into my way way of seeing.

The hard part is finding good images on the net amongst the not so good.

Leave a comment:

• MJ224
    replied

The negative impact of digital is more to do with the proliferation of dreadful images spread across the 'net, not the technology per se. Prior to digital, clicking the shutter willy-nilly was an expensive business, so photographers made sure about their composition before exposing. Most of the discipline has flown out of the window, unfortunately, the new game in town is to click, over sharpen, over saturate and share it quick!
    Don't use reversal so don't give it much thought - over than cross processing it at some stage. (Out of interest, maybe, I've seen some interesting C41 -> E6 results, ie cross processing in the opposite direction).
    I need it, but it is more likely to be a better product in the end...

Leave a comment:

• Ross the fiddler
    replied

For the worse. In fact I'd say the worst thing that happened to photography in the last 30 years was the development of solid state sensors.

You mean the straight line response curve of a digital sensor is superior to the 'S' shaped transfer function of film emulsion.
    Somehow, I just knew you would come back with an answer like that.

Leave a comment:

• Greytop
    replied

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
    Except for IQ though, everything else about the DP1m was awful. But if I could get that level of IQ with my Oly setup, I'd be a very happy bunny!
    Can't say I disagree, though the DPx Merrills had a character that wasn't always endearing, the output was pretty stunning at ISO 100 - 200.

Leave a comment:

• pdk42
    replied

Originally posted by Greytop View Post
    Agreed and you've only got to look as far as the quality of output resolution achieved with Sigma's Merrill DP1, 2 and 3 with the APSC Foveon sensor in a very compact package.
    At low ISOs these cameras compare very favourably with output from bayer sensor 35 mm cameras in the 30 to 36 MB range (and possibly more) using high quality lenses.

My experience was that achieving that high quality output was not difficult either (I had all three Sigmas at one point) providing you kept an eye on shutter speeds.

I think that micro 4/3rds is definitely capable of handling this rumoured resolution hike and very well too.
    Your point about Fovean is a good one Huw. I had a DP1m for a short time and the output at low ISO was stunning. Mono conversions in particular were breathtaking:

Scottish Kirk by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Man's Best Friend by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Except for IQ though, everything else about the DP1m was awful. But if I could get that level of IQ with my Oly setup, I'd be a very happy bunny!

Leave a comment:

• Ricoh
    replied

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
    I'm not sure I would entirely agree with that Steve. I love using film but digital has brought the joys of 'satisfying' photography within the reach of many more people than would have been possible with film, although I accept that has some negative connotations as well.

Without digital the film manufacturers would have continued pushing the same old stuff, whereas digital has forced them to up their game by producing some superb new emulsions.

No; I am thinking more of the sheer resolution and image clarity provided by current digital cameras and the lack of dust, scratch marks and other hindrances of film. Some may see these as advantages, but I would rather start off with the best possible source material.

I would also question whether the response curves of high contrast transparency films such as Velvia are so much better than digital sensors. They are certainly very little more forgiving!
    The negative impact of digital is more to do with the proliferation of dreadful images spread across the 'net, not the technology per se. Prior to digital, clicking the shutter willy-nilly was an expensive business, so photographers made sure about their composition before exposing. Most of the discipline has flown out of the window, unfortunately, the new game in town is to click, over sharpen, over saturate and share it quick!
    Don't use reversal so don't give it much thought - over than cross processing it at some stage. (Out of interest, maybe, I've seen some interesting C41 -> E6 results, ie cross processing in the opposite direction).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X