Wedding Photographer recommendations please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding Photographer recommendations please

My daughter is getting married in York (UK) next June and has asked me to help choose a photographer.

When it comes to 'people' photography, especially wedding photography, the photographer needs to be able to capture those expressive moments that reflect the happy day in an artistic manner (and I don't mean making the photos look artistic by the use of PhotoShop). I would study the individuals portfolio looking for consistency, rather than the odd 'lucky' shot.

Any recommendations to follow up?

To watching moderators: I hope posting like this is ok. Perhaps any recommendations would be best by PM - that's if I get any - or is it ok for replies to be posed here?
    Steve

on flickr

Re: Wedding Photographer recommendations please

Wedding photography seems to have changed out of all recognition since we were married 25 years ago!

Looking back the 48 photographs (four rolls of 120) were little more than a record of the occasion, but now it is all about artistic expression.

I will send you a PM as I know an Italian lady who is moving to the UK shortly, and I have always been impressed by her wedding photography - even though she uses Nikon.
    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Find one who lets the guests take shots as well. When some friends of ours got married the official photographer, who was in charge of course, would do his stuff, let guests do their thing, and then say "come on paparazzi" and lead everyone off to the next location around the church. He made taking pictures fun for everybody and consequently everyone enjoyed themselves including the bride and groom. The photographer got paid as per his contract for a set number of prooofs/finals so he was happy as well.
      Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
      Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
      Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
      Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
      Learn something new every day

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
        Find one who lets the guests take shots as well. When some friends of ours got married the official photographer, who was in charge of course, would do his stuff, let guests do their thing, and then say "come on paparazzi" and lead everyone off to the next location around the church. He made taking pictures fun for everybody and consequently everyone enjoyed themselves including the bride and groom. The photographer got paid as per his contract for a set number of prooofs/finals so he was happy as well.
        Yes; I would second that. I have known some so-called "professionals" to be downright obnoxious if they spot anyone else with a camera - even in cases where they have indicated their willingness to accommodate snappers during the interview.

It was a few years ago now, but one lady photographer threatened to walk off when she spotted me with my Mamiya 645. She was using a low-end Canon (probably in Jpeg mode) so I cannot think what she was worried about.
        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
          Where they using disposable cameras, loaded with film?
          Steve

on flickr

Comment

It's not the gears. It is the results that counts.

A few years back, a fellow photographer got married and what he did was since he was going to invite us, he opened it into a photographers gathering. So he ended up with 12 photographers. The photo were from all angles and ..in total, over 10k shots
            * Henry
            * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
              My daughter is getting married in York (UK) next June and has asked me to help choose a photographer.

Any recommendations to follow up?

To watching moderators: I hope posting like this is ok. Perhaps any recommendations would be best by PM - that's if I get any - or is it ok for replies to be posed here?
              This chap was my lecturer at Uni in the 90's and has since moved into wedding photography. I really like his stuff though I've never got married to employ him myself. Lots of his work on his site and in his blog and his price list.
              http://www.misterphill.com/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/

Comment

Originally posted by blu-by-u View Post
                It's not the gears. It is the results that counts.

A few years back, a fellow photographer got married and what he did was since he was going to invite us, he opened it into a photographers gathering. So he ended up with 12 photographers. The photo were from all angles and ..in total, over 10k shots
                Yeah, never about gear - I meant giving guests disposable cameras to shoot, used to be the thing years ago. Im not sure any person could meaningfully review and sort out 10k shots or more, the thought alone terrifies me, almost as bad as being asked to paint the forth rail bridge single handed!
                Steve

on flickr

Comment

Yeah, never about gear - I meant giving guests disposable cameras to shoot, used to be the thing years ago. Im not sure any person could meaningfully review and sort out 10k shots or more, the thought alone terrifies me, almost as bad as being asked to paint the forth rail bridge single handed!
                  You can specify that the photographer submit a specified number of photographs for reviewing. Since it's all fellow photographers. In my case, the Groom wanted all the shots.
                  * Henry
                  * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Steve

on flickr

Comment

---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

No I'm not comparing costs from twenty years past, what I'm saying is the skill of a wedding photographer, or any other genre for that matter, should be on par with a tradesman, a bricklayer, plasterer, plumber etc. In fact there's less skill taking wedding photographs than there is installing central heating.

The wedding is in York. My daughter is looking for traditional photographs one would expect for a wedding, groupings etc, plus some documentary type from the build up the ceremony, signing the register, the speeches... all the usual stuff in fact. If I wasn't FoB I would do it myself. Can't be hard.
                        Steve

on flickr

Comment

I think you might like Rob Pugh's work Steve. He even does film if that's what you would prefer.

https://www.rpphotographybydesign.co.uk/

He's quite an Olympus fan and a really nice guy. He's probably not cheap - but hell, how often do you marry off your daughter!!?
                          Paul
                          E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                          flickr
                          Portfolio Site
                          Instagram

Comment

Steve

on flickr

Comment

No I'm not comparing costs from twenty years past, what I'm saying is the skill of a wedding photographer, or any other genre for that matter, should be on par with a tradesman, a bricklayer, plasterer, plumber etc. In fact there's less skill taking wedding photographs than there is installing central heating.

The wedding is in York. My daughter is looking for traditional photographs one would expect for a wedding, groupings etc, plus some documentary type from the build up the ceremony, signing the register, the speeches... all the usual stuff in fact. If I wasn't FoB I would do it myself. Can't be hard.
                              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Scroll To Top Scroll To Center Scroll To Bottom