X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olybirder
    replied
    Re: Any Affinity Photo Users?

I am giving Affinity Photo another go at the moment and trying to fall in love with it. I read a tip somewhere about changing the Raw Engine to Apple (Core image RAW) and I do think it is an improvement.

My main complaint is that it all seems a bit too 'free hand' so results vary from file to file. I would like to create a raw development workflow to speed up the processing time.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• Rocknroll59
    replied

Been using Affinity for a while now, and I quite like it...got rid of Adobe PS and LR cost against what I need it for was the difference, now I have got used to the Affinity programme I don't think i'll go back, as I'm now shooting RAW all the time which I didn't do in LR..so that's an advancement for me not being that clever with computers.

Peter

Leave a comment:

• Olybirder
    replied

I have downloaded a trial copy of FastRawViewer and am really struggling with it. It seems incredibly complicated.

The application opens when I insert a memory card and I can view the images on it and scroll through them. I can move the ones which I don't want to the Rejected folder. However I would like to be able to move the keepers to a new folder which is automatically created and titled with the date of the photos. Can this be done?

When I import files into Lightroom it automatically stores them in a new folder with the relevant date.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• Olybirder
    replied

Leave a comment:

• RobEW
    replied

thanks. Just checking out FastRawViewer. It might suit me as I take lots of photos and could cull a good percentage very quickly.

Leave a comment:

• steverh
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rawcoll
    replied

I downloaded Affinity some while ago when it was at the lower price, and installed it on a Win8.1 laptop. I saw it as a PS substitute, which is what it was being hailed as. I do have problems with it hanging though. One of the reasons I got it was because it has a focus-stacking feature, and it worked very well.

Leave a comment:

• MargaretR
    replied

I just bought the iPad version yesterday, which looks as though it will be superb for mobile processing once I get my head round it, and in the tutorial videos I was pleased to notice that the RAW file opened as an example was an .ORF file. And that the metadata shown in the Information window was that for EM1 mkII ! So I'm pretty sure it will work well with Oly files

Leave a comment:

• Nawty
    replied

I've considered Affinity but the issue is that it has no file management system and so isn't a LR replacement, more a PS replacement.

Also, I have read quite a few times (but never tried myself) that the raw conversion is pretty poor.

Leave a comment:

• Olybirder
    replied

Originally posted by Crazy Dave View Post
    Another quirk I found was that if I changed a JPEG file size for say web use and saved it as another file, it became an affinityphoto document rather than a JPEG. One had to export it rather than 'save as'.
    I enountered that issue when I tried the trial copy before. Today I exported a test file as a jpeg with dimensions to suit the gallery here and renaming it. It worked just fine. I am not sure whether the original file in Affinity will retain the changes that I made to it. There is plenty for me to find out about using the program.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• Crazy Dave
    replied

Well, that's good news Ron if you decide to go down the Affinity route

The main problems that I had revolved around saving edited images. Having used Pro-Am Imaging (print lab) for years using Photoshop without problems, my first batch with Affinity was unable to be printed twice because I was unaware of the need to strip out EXIF data before changing raw file to jpegs in order to 'fix' the changes made to the file size. That was very frustrating but quite quickly resolved using the forum. Another quirk I found was that if I changed a JPEG file size for say web use and saved it as another file, it became an affinityphoto document rather than a JPEG. One had to export it rather than 'save as'.

It's fine now that I've got the workflow sorted and if push comes to shove, I'd recommend it as some of the features are quite powerful and more than I need.

David

Leave a comment:

• Olybirder
    replied

I downloaded the trial version again this afternoon and confirmed that it would open my E-M1 Mk II raw files. After playing with for a little while I decided to purchase it in case the price increases again. I now have lots of video tutorials to work my way through.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• steverh
    replied

Just agreeing with pault, it opens EM1 mk II raw files with no problems.

Leave a comment:

• pault
    replied

Hi. I have Affinity and it does open EM1 II raw files and you can edit them

Leave a comment:

• Olybirder
    replied

Thanks David. It does seem that the Mk II is not supported at the moment, which surprises me. I will have a look at what alternatives are available.

Silkypix, as mentioned by Dick Bowman in this thread, sounds interesting but Developer Studio 7 is 119 euros, which is a lot more money. It also sounds a little quirky with a steep learning curve. I might download the trial version to see if I like it.

I have also seen Darktable mentioned a few times, so I might take a look at that.

Ron

Leave a comment:

Working...
X