Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JPEG vs raw

Re: JPEG vs raw

Thanks John. That is a very convincing demonstration of the benefits of using raw.

I have found that as a last resort 'Shadows/Highlights' can go some way towards rescuing a JPEG. I hope you don't mind but I tried it quickly on your JPEG image. I had to desaturate the colours slightly afterwards. Obviously it is nowhere as satisfactory as the raw image but is it an improvement over the original? I have no idea what the original colours were like.

Ron

Comment

Still not right - you haven't removed the name on the camera strap!

;^)

Jim

Comment

Olybirder - don't mind at all. That looks like an impressive result, I'll try shadows/highlights on the full sized version and see how much it digs out.

I noticed the burnout at the time and shot again with -1.3 stops compensation. I haven't done the same forensic analysis on that one (not enough hours in the day) but at a quick glance we still had some burnt-out highlights, and had lost shadows as well.

Jim - I wondered how long it would be before someone spotted the strap!

Ciao ... John

Comment

Following Olybirder's suggestion I have just had a little play with the original using shadow/highlight adjustment on the JPEG. I don't normally think of it, I habitually do all adjustments using adjustment layers and Shadow/highlight is not available there. It certainly produces a more natural-looking result than just using global exposure or levels adjustments, but it leaves the burnt-out patches as they are.

By the way, I updated ACR to 6.7 this morning so was able to compare the recovery between PS CS5/ACR 6.7 and LR4.1/ACR7.1. The extra refinement that you get with the highlights and whites sliders in ACR 7 allows much better recovery than the single recovery slider in ACR 6. The samples above were done with LR4.1/ACR7.1.

Ciao ... John

Comment

Jim - I wondered how long it would be before someone spotted the strap!
            Aaahhh but is there a camera on the end of the strap
            Regards
            Michael

OM-D E-M5 mk2, m12-40mm f2.8, m25mm f1.8, m45mm f1.8, m60mm f2.8 Macro, M14‑150mm 1:4-5.6 II, M75-300mm MK2, Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5 fisheye

Comment

Working...
            X