Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Owner of 8mm FE, clarification required.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owner of 8mm FE, clarification required.

My post seems to have thrown up more questions than answers....help required

https://e-group.uk.net/forum/forum/c...oly-7-14mm-pro

Your original post asked "Your choice and reasons please, imagine they cost the same"

I would choose the 8mm fisheye every time:

(a) wider aperture, so better indoors in poor light
    (b) I like fisheye effect ( I love my 6.5mm f/2 Meike FE)
    (c) can be de-fished and still covers a wider angle than the zoom
    (d) wide zooms are not very useful - a few steps does the job of the zoom

BUT that is my choice. I have no idea what you look for in your photography.
    Mike
    visit my Natural History Photos website:
    http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

Originally posted by MikeOxon View Post
      ...(d) wide zooms are not very useful - a few steps does the job of the zoom
      Not very pratical if you can't step back; for example, already at the opposite end of a room (family or museum), too many people too close to the object you are interested in, large building. I admit that a defished FE can cope with this but I still prefer a rectilinear field of view.

Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
      Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
      Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
      Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
      Learn something new every day

Comment

If you can't step back, you need a wider angle lens than the one you've got! It's my personal opinion but the zoom range of ultra-wide zooms is usually too small to be of much use. Get the widest fixed lens you can afford and team it with something like a 12-100 for everything else.
        Mike

Comment

I love my little Laowa 7.5mm manual lens, have had some great results with it, and I prefer the rectilinear to the fish eye... It does however look a bit stupid on the front of and OMD1X as I found out on an Olympus day when I borrowed one!
          Paul

I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

You can't really walk backwards or forwards with a wide angle lens. There is a huge difference in perspective between, say, 7mm and 9mm.

Walking closer to your subject isn't going to work because of the perspective differences.

IMO, a zoom is more useful because quite frankly, 7mm is often too wide.
            E-M1 mk II
            12mm f/2 | 17mm f/1.2 | 17mm f/1.8 | 25mm f1.8 | 45mm f1.8 | 9-18mm | 14-150mm

Comment

Originally posted by Edman View Post
              You can't really walk backwards or forwards with a wide angle lens. There is a huge difference in perspective between, say, 7mm and 9mm.

Walking closer to your subject isn't going to work because of the perspective differences.

IMO, a zoom is more useful because quite frankly, 7mm is often too wide.
              Thanks, I think I've settled on the Oly 7-14mm plus a great little Samyang 7.5mm FE.

Comment

Best of both worlds! I'll be interested in your comments when you have some experience with using both
                Mike

Comment

If you use the 7-14mm in portrait format level on a tripod and stitch a couple of pictures together you can get a wider view than the 8mm.
                  I'm of mixed mind on the fisheye effect, mainly having done a lot of architectural photography and corrected verticals.
                  Duncan

Lots of toys.

Comment

Originally posted by wanderer View Post
                    If you use the 7-14mm in portrait format level on a tripod and stitch a couple of pictures together you can get a wider view than the 8mm.
                    I'm of mixed mind on the fisheye effect, mainly having done a lot of architectural photography and corrected verticals.
                    And you get less lens stretching, perspective stretching
                    * Henry
                    * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeOxon View Post
                      Best of both worlds! I'll be interested in your comments when you have some experience with using both
                      I've had a 7-14mm before, the Panasonic 'Purple Blob' model, this was before the Oly became available. I found it to be a superb lens, except for purple blobs when shooting into the sun. The range of 7-14 I found to be ideal.

The Samyang FE 7.5mm I've also had before and it is one of photographies little hidden gems, for around £200 it is a cracker, gets ones imagination working.
                      With natural subjects and landscapes the FE effect, curved edges, can be lost completely. Obviously with urban subjects the FE effect is emphasised.
                      Defishing can be done with programmes such as Hugin.

My attraction to the Oly 8mm FE is the ability to defish in camera, but I shan't buy both.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/S...5mm%20fisheye/

As a heads up there is a Samyang going on TP for a very reasonable price, I tend to buy new where possible

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/th...or-m43.704765/

Panasonic 7-14mm @ 7mm
                      P5190172-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Samyang
                      P3270006-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Defished
                      P3270006-RS-DF by Dave in Wales, on Flickr
                      Last edited by Dave in Wales; 16th December 2019, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Sorry for the very late reply on this.

This is how the original out of camera looks like. Notice that floor line how it curves.

The Defish setting #1

Defish setting #2

Defish setting #3
                        * Henry
                        * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

As a user of long reach lenses generally I presume this de.fishing is the straightening of curved edges ,is this done in camera or in p.p

Comment

Originally posted by blackfox View Post
                          As a user of long reach lenses generally I presume this de.fishing is the straightening of curved edges ,is this done in camera or in p.p
                          Ah............Either, there's clever.

Can be done in PP........but can now the degree of fisheye can be selected in camera BEFORE TAKING THE SHOT, menu J1 I think.

https://www.creativeislandphoto.com/...eye-correction

Comment

• pdk42
                            pdk42 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Well, the raw is not defished, the camera produces a defished JPEG. What's nice is that the Live view shows the defish too, so it helps composition if you know you'll defish the raw later (because we all only use raw don't we ).

• Dave in Wales
                            Dave in Wales commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks for reminding me of that Paul, RAW/JPG....The pendulum may well have just swung in favour of the 7-14mm with a 7.5mm Samyang, defished in Hugin if necessary.
                        Working...
                        X