No announcement yet.

UW...Oly 8mm FE or Oly 7-14mm Pro.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the original developed from the ORF (suppose to be without any corrections)

This is from the Saved JPG. In camera processing

* Henry
    * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Am I missing something, where are those settings to develop the ORFs in Workspace?

Just trying to make some links between the Camera's in camera and Workspace's defish settings.
      In camera, there are just 3 settings and 1 Mode. BUT in Workspace, there is this SOFT (-20) and Hard (+20), Zoom (-300 & +300) and that mode.
      Last edited by blu-by-u; 13th December 2019, 09:16 AM. Reason: Adding more options and findings. and getting more confused
      * Henry
      * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave in Wales View Post
        If one is considering either of these two for purely UW shots, then it has to be the FE, IMO.

The comparison between the two in this video really brings it home....the FE defished in camera is wider than the 7-14mm, by quite a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35xYr6On8I8
        I don't have a MkII E-M1, only Mk1s so don't have the in-camera correction option. Olympus Workspace in the video looks impressive until you see how much is cropped to correct the barrel distortion. Then you end up with an angle of view that the 12-40mm would have given

Steve
        Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
        Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
        My website

Comment

I like the Panasonic 8-18mm myself it is my most used lens
          It works well with my Format hitech and cokin nuances 85mm filters

Workington harbour by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Derwent water morning reflections 3 by Alf Branch, on Flickr
          Last edited by alfbranch; 4 weeks ago.
          OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

Another semi-related point, both the 8mm f1.8 and the 7-14mm f2.8 are excellent for astro and night photography, especially the faster aperture of the FE. Both are surprisingly resistant to flare.

However, I found I got a lot of flaring with the laowa 7.5 when I was trying to include bright areas in the frame (e.g. lit buildings), such that the images were unusable. I haven't heard this as an issue with the 7.5 before, and I've checked my copy carefully for cleanliness of glass plus it gives great images in normal use, but that was what I found. It was fine for simple 'dark field' images, although at the peripheries of the frame there was a tad more smearing of stars than with the other two.

Overall, the 8mm f1.8 was the easiest to use and gave the best results.
            Regards,
            Mark

------------------------------
            http://www.microcontrast.com
            Too much Oly gear.
            Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15, 35-100, Laowa 7.5.
            Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

• Dave in Wales
              Dave in Wales commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not into astro stuff, dark and cold Brrrrrrrr !
              I have had very good results with the good old Samyang 7.5mm, the picture below is taken with it into full sun.
              My UWA decision has been turned on its head by well meaning members, well I did ask the question, so what was I to expect.
              First it was between the Oly 7-14 and the Oly 8mm FE but now it's between those two and the Panny 8-18 and even the much underrated Samyang 7.5mm FE.

Perhaps my answer is a zoom plus the Samyang ?

P8240041-2-1-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post

It's a nice FE lens. But it's an FE lens. It's not (IMHO) a substitute for a rectilinear UWA zoom. They are different tools. Defishing will make your corners look mushy.

As to the 7-14 - it has the huge disadvantage that it doesn't take filters (without messy 3rd party adapters). For landscape use, that's a real downside. If landscape is an important use-case, then go get the Panasonic 8-18, or the Laowa 7.5 if you can live without a zoom.
            Been thinking......if defishsing (in or out of camera) makes corners mushy what on earth is the point of defishing at all?

For a proper UVA decent O/A image it must be a rectilinear lens to start with.

My answer then is a UWA zoom plus the lovely Samyang FE 7.5mm defished in Hugin if necessary.

Comment

Been thinking......if defishsing (in or out of camera) makes corners mushy what on earth is the point of defishing at all?
              Well, the whole point of a FE lens is to give a fisheye projection! If you defish the image digitally to be rectilinear then you have to stretch the corners. This significantly reduces the number of pixels on objects near the edges of the frame which results in smearing. No matter how good optically the lens is, this will always happen.

For a proper UVA decent O/A image it must be a rectilinear lens to start with.
              Yes, for images that need to look like us humans see it, then you need a rectilinear lens. UWA rectilinear lenses are complex designs so getting them sharp right into the corners with a true rectilinear projection means they usually aren't cheap. This review by David Thorpe of the PL 8-18 has a really good demonstration of how managing focus distance is in itself a challenge:

My answer then is a UWA zoom plus the lovely Samyang FE 7.5mm defished in Hugin if necessary.
              That's a great plan. The Samyang 7.5 FE is a fantastic lens for its price. Be careful though, like all lenses there is copy variation. I've owned three over the years and whilst two were excellent, one was decentred - you couldn't focus it to be sharp on both sides at anything less than f8. You should embrace its FE looks and not look to defish IMHO unless you happen to have captured a stunning image before you could swap lenses and have no alternative. Here's one of my favourites from it:

NYC through a Fisheye by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

As regards a UWA zoom, I've tried all the u43 UWAs over the years (previously owned the Panasonic 7-14 and the Oly 9-18; borrowed the Oly 7-14; and now own the PL 8-18). Here's my view:

- The Oly 9-18 is a fantastic little lens. Very underrated. It's very sharp over nearly all the frame, suffering only a little lack of sharpness in the corners which persists at any aperture. Colours, contrast, flare handling etc are all excellent. And it's tiny. Sometimes I think I should go back to it for its size and cost. Here's an example image (with the Pen-F):

Broadway Tower III by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

- The Panasonic 7-14 is excellent optically, except for one fatal flaw - it produces purple "ghosts" on strongly backlit subjects. It can ruin a shot.

- The Oly 7-14 is excellent optically. But, it's big and heavy and won't easily take filters. I liked the images it produced, but the lack of filters and its size and weight put me off buying my own.

- The Panasonic Leica 8-18 is IMHO the best of the u43 UWA zooms. It's not the smallest, but its weight is less than a first glimpse would indicate. It also takes filters and is weatherproof. Here's an example:

Day Break in Bruges by Paul Kaye, on Flickr
              Paul
              E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
              flickr
              Portfolio Site
              Instagram

Comment

• OM USer
                OM USer commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks. .

Thanks Paul, very helpfull, the PL8-18 is at the moment cheaper than the Oly 7-14. I'll wait till the Boxing day/New year sales to see what happens.

I'll probably go for the 7-14 though, just 1mm difference, but it's surprising just what a difference the 1mm makes.

Take a look at the comparison beach shots here.........https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/mic...14mm-f2-8-pro/

With the PL the bin on the RH side is on the edge of the shot, with the Oly its a fair way in.

7mm
              olypro-7mm-1 by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

8mm
              panaleica-8mm-1 by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

olypro-7mm-1-2 by Dave in Wales, on Flickr
              Last edited by Dave in Wales; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

I went for the Oly 7-14 knowing there isn't an ideal, compact way of using filters on it, but I got it during the Olympus 100 Year Anniversary weekend sale on (downunder) with 20% off & also just because I wanted the Oly Pro lens rather than anything from Panasonic. Yes, it is a little large & heavy, particularly compared the Panasonic 8-18 (got to see that at a Ken Duncan seminar). There is one thing I have learnt with using it is the amount of distortion possible with subjects close in the corners as the guy on the lower left has a grossly extra long head.

KB308564[C1-12]adj by Ross, on Flickr
                Ross
                I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

• OM USer
                  OM USer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have found this too. It is especially noticable on crowds.

UW are UW. I really do not like those stretching on the sides. I rather do Panorama photography if it's a static subject.
                * Henry
                * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Thanks Paul, very helpfull, the PL8-18 is at the moment cheaper than the Oly 7-14. I'll wait till the Boxing day/New year sales to see what happens.

I'll probably go for the 7-14 though, just 1mm difference, but it's surprising just what a difference the 1mm makes.
                  Yes, I agree that the 1mm matters. I wish the 8-18 were a 7-18!
                  Paul
                  E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                  flickr
                  Portfolio Site
                  Instagram

Comment

Working...
                  X