PanLeica 15mm f1.7 with Pen-F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PanLeica 15mm f1.7 with Pen-F

A friend recently bought an EM10 Mark II and I sold him my Olympus 17mm f2.8 Pancake lens, which I used to use with my Pen-F. I now want to replace it with either the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 II or PanLeica 15mm f1.7 (NOT the Olympus 17mm f1.8 which I already have and use with the EM5 II). I like the specs of the PanLeica and am veering towards it despite the higher price tag but want to clarify a few things.

1. Are there any electronic link issues with the PanLeica 15mm f1.7 and Olympus bodies? I was looking at an earlier thread where a buyer had problems with that lens and another camera.

2. Does the aperture ring on the PanLeica work with Olympus bodies, specifically Pen-F?

Re: PanLeica 15mm f1.7 with Pen-F

Two easy questions to answer....no issues on Olympus M43 bodies and no, the aperture ring is not enabled on Olympus cameras.

Very nice lens...

Comment

Originally posted by sdb123 View Post
      The aperture ring is not enabled on Olympus cameras.

Very nice lens...
      Thanks, but are you sure that the aperture ring won't work on even a relatively new camera like the Pen-F? Slightly disappointed if it does not because I was hoping for the old-fashioned feel of using an aperture ring. I do not own any MFT lens with one after I sold the Samayang fisheye last year.

Comment

To clarify...aperture rings on Panasonic lenses will not function on Olympus M43 bodies, they only work on Panasonic bodies.

Comment

OK, I surrender. But out of interest, is this an unsurmountable issue or something that could change with a future firmware update on one or the other?

Comment

It's a cross-company issue...the assumption is that it should be an easy enough fix to implement via firmware however Olympus & Panasonic need to work collaboratively to make it happen. I won't hold my breath.

Comment

I placed an order with Wex just now. As I wanted the silver one, it is going to take a week to get it, but I'll wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Loup Garou View Post
                I placed an order with Wex just now. As I wanted the silver one, it is going to take a week to get it, but I'll wait.

Good choice as it's a cracking lens.

Simon
                “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
                ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Yes, I agree. It's certainly sharper than the Oly 17, although you have to pixel peep to see it.

Plus it looks good in silver on a silver OMD or Pen-F body, for those bothered by that sort of thing!
                  Regards,
                  Mark

------------------------------
                  http://www.microcontrast.com
                  Too much Oly gear.
                  Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15, 35-100, Laowa 7.5.
                  Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

The 15/f1.7 is indeed a sharp lens, and focus is lightning fast. Personally I prefer using it on a Panasonic body to utilise the incorporated aperture ring. On an Olympus body I find the need to remap my brain to ignore the aperture setting. Bit confusing to begin with, especially if you've grown up with film cameras.
                    Steve

on flickr

Comment

Comment

With that sort of feedback I should 'think' you are ok but whether Panasonic will provide the warranty is another matter. Although the lens is apparently new you are purchasing via a private sale and not through an appointed dealership .... just something to bear in mind.

BTW, Carmarthen Cameras have a silver one in stock ............

.............. http://carmarthencameras.com/lenses/...ns-silver.html

Simon
                        ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

With that sort of feedback I should 'think' you are ok but whether Panasonic will provide the warranty is another matter. Although the lens is apparently new you are purchasing via a private sale and not through an appointed dealership .... just something to bear in mind.
                          Thanks. Yes, I know but I got a bit desperate when I could not find a silver lens. I normally do not buy any electrical or electronic goods from a private dealer but since a lens is an optical instrument for the most part, I decided to take the risk. I'll check it out as soon as it arrives to ensure that the electronic contacts are all OK and the autofocus motor is working properly. If there is the slightest doubt, I'll send it back and get a refund.

BTW, Carmarthen Cameras have a silver one in stock
                          ............ Scheitzen! And a good price too! The irony is that I have used Carmarthen Cameras before but it slipped my mid this time. Perhaps I should have asked the forum member's help in finding a silver lens before ordering from e-bay.

Well, let us hope that my deal turns out all right.

Comment

Update: I discovered that this "ycm18" on e-bay is not a private seller as I had thought but a bona-fide on-line dealer called York Camera Mart, complete with a respectable looking website. Looks like I may be all right after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Loup Garou View Post
                              Update: I discovered that this "ycm18" on e-bay is not a private seller as I had thought but a bona-fide on-line dealer called York Camera Mart, complete with a respectable looking website. Looks like I may be all right after all.
                              There we go, should all be ok then

Simon
                              ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                              X