PL 100-400 MA help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PL 100-400 MA help needed

I have a omd1-mkii (firmware upgraded) and a pl-100-400 under most conditions I'm extremely pleased with it . and under most conditions its extremely sharp .but push the limits a bit further and the image deteriorates ,its like its focussing fine till 250 yards then losing its sharpness ..

I know I can micro adjust lenses on the body but how would you go about doing a m/a for distance without spoiling the close focus ability .or is this just something I have to put up with using a Olympus body and a Panasonic lens

has anyone else using the combo noticed the same or is it a matter of expecting to much from the sensor and/or lens resolution

Re: PL 100-400 MA help needed

You need to be sure that it's not just atmospheric effects at long range. Sharpness can seem terrible through heat haze, for example. I have photographed the same clock face from about a mile away in different weather conditions and on some days it can appear really sharp and on others it's just an unreadable blur.
    Mike
    visit my Natural History Photos website:
    http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

Comment

A perfect case for Oly to get their fingers out and stop making us buy the Panny 100-400.

Please Olympus, give us that 100-400 you mention in your lens map, and make it similar priced to the Pany version for all those of who aren't rich.

Comment

I am not sure it still works the same way, but when I had the E-5 and the 50-200 I was able to adjust the long end and the wide end separately. I haven't looked at setting up a zoom since switching to M43, but it is worth a try as the adjustments are recorded against a focal length. If it does negatively affect the wide end of the range you can always delete it.
          Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
          Flickr

Comment

one from yesterday , quite a large crop to so perhaps the real answer lies with the light and the settings .
            .looks better on Flickr btw
            duck shoot by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Comment

Certainly not an expert on optics, but as a land surveyor using theodolites (years ago before GPS and total stations) the higher the magnification, the higher the "blur" mainly due to humidity, also man made pollution.

Unless you have clear/clean air, there will be a limit as to what results you can get...……….Optics have their limitations.

Mind, I sometimes get very clear phots of the moon 200+ miles away,

And I know nothing...…….

And just to add, despite my ignorance, TV/wildlife cameras seen to be able to really good images from some quite large distances....is that just down to cost/quality of the kit...???

Comment

Just think an Oly 100-400mm that would work with the teleconverters too. I'd definitely buy one bet they make it none compatible
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

MikeOxon is right. It'll be degradation due to the atmosphere. Simple solution is get closer to the subject
                  Best wishes

Wildwood

Comment

Working...
                  X