X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angelica
    replied
    Re: Panasonic 100-400

Well it arrived ... My eagerly anticipated Panasonic 100-400mm and I couldn't wait to take it out but it was blowing a gail out there... so I picked a branch of my cherry tree before all the petals blew away and had a practice inside.
    https://flic.kr/p/2hCy975

My challenge was to make the blossoms look delicate and translucent and the water drops look crystal clear and wet.

My first impressions: yes, the zoom is a bit too stiff and I had to tighten the orientation release or it would twist the orientation rather than zooming.
    It does seem bright enough and crystal clear even with max aperture... but time will tell when I get started outdoors.

Leave a comment:

• Ross the fiddler
    replied

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
    My experience with various AF lenses, including the 100-400, is that any confusing background, such as reeds or grass, causes any of them to hunt. If I want to use AF for a dragonfly resting on a leafy twig I have to prefocus on something at a similar distance first to be in with chance.

I would use MF but it is so appalling on the 100-400 that it might as well not exist.

Harold
    My 40-150 Pro lens (with TC) can hunt too if the subject & AF target area isn't suitably sized etc., but at least it's a very quick cycle, unlike the 70-300 lens. I only briefly tried that 100-400 lens but the Olympus Pro lenses do give good MF control though.

Leave a comment:

• Harold Gough
    replied

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
    Oh, it can still hunt & it takes a long time to cycle through it's range to get there when it does. I've dug mine out just for laughs & even with an EC-14 recently, just to see how it could perform (on the E-M1 II). If the camera can see to lock focus it isn't bad, but any movement or a less contrasty subject it is a test of patience.
    My experience with various AF lenses, including the 100-400, is that any confusing background, such as reeds or grass, causes any of them to hunt. If I want to use AF for a dragonfly resting on a leafy twig I have to prefocus on something at a similar distance first to be in with chance.

I would use MF but it is so appalling on the 100-400 that it might as well not exist.

Harold

Leave a comment:

• Ross the fiddler
    replied

I had the severe hunting problem with the Olympus 4/3 70-300mm on my EP-2. The problem is absent on the EM1 but I no longer use the lens.

RE: "many macro pictures need to be on a tripod" I hand-hold all my macro, sometime working on an outdoor (pub type) table, where some shots let me support via my elbows. If support its needed, it is for off-camera flash. I shoot macro almost every day.

Harold
    Oh, it can still hunt & it takes a long time to cycle through it's range to get there when it does. I've dug mine out just for laughs & even with an EC-14 recently, just to see how it could perform (on the E-M1 II). If the camera can see to lock focus it isn't bad, but any movement or a less contrasty subject it is a test of patience.

Leave a comment:

• Harold Gough
    replied

Originally posted by Angelica View Post
    The secondhand Tamron I have for my dreaded Nikon DSLR usually spends so long hunting for focus that my target has flown off by the time the picture takes.
    I have tried the limit switch in the 15-∞ position but that's no use for close up, and with birds in flight it is very unlikely to find the bird.

I have an ancient Pentax 6x7 100mm macro lens which I use with a tilt-shift adapter and that glides so smoothly under it's own weight that you can only take horizontal macro pictures. It's does produce beautiful results, but doesn't have a lock which is very frustrating as many macro pictures need to be on a tripod and very prone to lens creep and camera shake.
    I think a bit of stiffness is preferable to that silky gliding.
    I had the severe hunting problem with the Olympus 4/3 70-300mm on my EP-2. The problem is absent on the EM1 but I no longer use the lens.

RE: "many macro pictures need to be on a tripod" I hand-hold all my macro, sometime working on an outdoor (pub type) table, where some shots let me support via my elbows. If support its needed, it is for off-camera flash. I shoot macro almost every day.

Harold

Leave a comment:

• Angelica
    replied

It is stiff, and not very smooth, with the zoom lock off, but it is less stiff after a couple of years of infrequent use.

I got caught out recently, wondering why I couldn't get the close shots I wanted of dragonflies. I realised, when I got home, that I must have knocked the focus limiter (something I never use) into preventing focus closer than 5m.

Harold
    The secondhand Tamron I have for my dreaded Nikon DSLR usually spends so long hunting for focus that my target has flown off by the time the picture takes.
    I have tried the limit switch in the 15-∞ position but that's no use for close up, and with birds in flight it is very unlikely to find the bird.

I have an ancient Pentax 6x7 100mm macro lens which I use with a tilt-shift adapter and that glides so smoothly under it's own weight that you can only take horizontal macro pictures. It's does produce beautiful results, but doesn't have a lock which is very frustrating as many macro pictures need to be on a tripod and very prone to lens creep and camera shake.
    I think a bit of stiffness is preferable to that silky gliding.

Leave a comment:

• snerkler
    replied

Not having the luxury of a shop I can view these, I did a lot of reading online and once again the photos shown here confirm I made a good choice ordering this lens... It should be arriving any day.
    My camera doesn't have IBIS so it was significant to get it in the lens, the negatives are allegedly that the zoom is stiff and that the fitting to the camera body is too tight that cause friction, but others said it was people forgetting to switch off the zoom lock and that once it's off it glides nicely...
    I just can't wait... to find out myself.
    With the zoom lock fully in the off position mine is smooth. It's not silky smooth like the 40-140mm f2.8 pro, but more akin to the cheaper 40-150mm f4-5.6 R. To give an idea how smooth it is I get lens creep if I walk around without the lock on.

Leave a comment:

• Harold Gough
    replied

Not having the luxury of a shop I can view these, I did a lot of reading online and once again the photos shown here confirm I made a good choice ordering this lens... It should be arriving any day.
    My camera doesn't have IBIS so it was significant to get it in the lens, the negatives are allegedly that the zoom is stiff and that the fitting to the camera body is too tight that cause friction, but others said it was people forgetting to switch off the zoom lock and that once it's off it glides nicely...
    It is stiff, and not very smooth, with the zoom lock off, but it is less stiff after a couple of years of infrequent use.

I got caught out recently, wondering why I couldn't get the close shots I wanted of dragonflies. I realised, when I got home, that I must have knocked the focus limiter (something I never use) into preventing focus closer than 5m.

Harold

Leave a comment:

• Angelica
    replied

Leave a comment:

• griffljg
    replied

I don't know about others' experiences, but I have now stopped using the IBIS on the 100-400 and only use the lens IS if necessary. ie If I am holding the camera as still as possible, then I use the lens IS. If I am panning, then I switch all IS off and push the shutter speed up as far as I can.

Leave a comment:

• Melaka
    replied

In the light of the 3.1 firmware update for the EM1ii should I use IBIS or lens IS with the 100-400?

Leave a comment:

• griffljg
    replied

Here's the last semi-decent one that I managed before the clouds came over:

Leave a comment:

• griffljg
    replied

I have just had a look outside. Some high-flying clouds have come over and they are obscuring the moon somewhat. I took some photos, but they don't appear to be all that good. Anyway, it is now 10:20pm and it is bedtime for me. Work tomorrow.....

Leave a comment:

• Harold Gough
    replied

Originally posted by griffljg View Post
    Here's another one from the southern hemisphere. But the sky is not as clear as it was last night.
    With Larry's permission, I have been playing with a copy of my image and his to try to get a stereo pair. Normally, we take two images side by side but this time, with two of Earth's hemispheres being involved, they were vertically spaced. To overcome this for side by side (crosseye) viewing, I have rotated each image.

My image was very "warm" and I have tried to modify it, The two images in stereo moderate this.

Anyway, with a base separation of just under 8,000 miles (my personal best), here goes.

Harold

Leave a comment:

• Tordan58
    replied

Originally posted by Phill D View Post
    Tord those are very interesting coments as you have both lenses. Especially the bokeh comments. I thought the panasonic had a slightly better bokeh rendering than the Oly 300. I was under the impression the 300 tended towards the nervous bokeh that my 40-150 shows on occasion but the panny was a bit smoother. If you have acomparison it would be great to see.
    Hi Phill,

I will shoot some samples at next occasion, need some daylight so hopefully coming weekend.

BR
    Tord

Leave a comment:

Working...
X