Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Olympus 300mm F4 Pro Lens

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
    Goodonya Andrew. I wasn't sure about the sewing interests, although I'm not afraid to use a needle having made (remade totally) two kilts for myself (& converted a formal tails jacket to a Prince Charlie jacket to wear with the kilts). There's an awful lot of hand sewing in that.

Having made my first hide (blind) in the mid '80s I've done a lot of sewing over the years. There could be members on here using items I designed and prototyped for a UK company in the '90s. I would hand sew a prototype and send it off to the company. They would study it, maybe adding their input before machine sewing a prototype to be sent to me for testing and review.
    It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Congratulations Ron. I am certain you will like it. Looking forward for some photos.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Today was the first chance I have had to try the lens properly since I got it, so I headed to Carlton Marshes to see if I could find some birds to photograph. Unfortunately it turned out to be a bird-free zone, apart from a couple of Kestrels which were too far away for good shots.

The only other bird I saw was a Heron which took off from the marshes quite close to me. I pointed the camera at it and pressed the shutter button. It didn't focus at all, so I pressed it harder. As if that would help! I then checked the two sliders on the side to see if they had moved. They hadn't. I suddenly remembered the focus ring and pushed it forward. Bingo! Everything snapped into focus, just in time to see the Heron disappearing in the distance. I can't believe I made that schoolboy error so soon.

I don't think I will have another chance to go out again for about ten days but hopefully I will eventually get a shot worth saving.

Ron

Comment

That must have been frustrating, it's very typical of seeing all or nothing and just when you have fantastic new lens to try out !

I spent few hours at Strumpshaw Fen on Friday afternoon, mainly convincing myself that I needed a 300mm f4 pro, whilst trying to photograph a Water Rail.

Comment

You won't regret it. Mine is seldom off the camera. I thought I would only use it when I went out somewhere specifically for birds but find I carry it on almost all walks. Perfect for birds, butterflies and insects.

Comment

Originally posted by bassman View Post
              I spent few hours at Strumpshaw Fen on Friday afternoon, mainly convincing myself that I needed a 300mm f4 pro, whilst trying to photograph a Water Rail.
              Was that at Fen hide? When I was there recently there was a Water Rail wandering about amongst the vegetation at the water's edge for about half-an-hour but I couldn't get a clear shot of it. Very frustrating but I don't think even the 300 F4 would have helped.

Ron

Comment

I was in the garden and saw this feather falling -I was amazed the omd mk II and 300f4 got this I was on 5 focus point and C-AF

1/2000 f4 iso400

Rob.
                Attached Files

Comment

I also tried Pro capture It works very well this is shot 4 of 6 all in focus but this one is just a tad sharper than the others

1/3200 f4 iso 800

Rob.

Edit feather and Pidgin about 25 yds away
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GyRob View Post
                    I was in the garden and saw this feather falling -I was amazed the omd mk II and 300f4 got this I was on 5 focus point and C-AF

Rob.
                    Yes, the speed of focus acquisition achieved by this combination is a revelation. It's well worth attempting to 'snap shoot' in almost any genre of photography.

You soon get used to it: I used my (pocketable) Fuji X70 the other day for some street shooting after a meeting, and the sluggish focus brought me up short!
                    Regards,
                    Mark

------------------------------
                    http://www.microcontrast.com
                    Too much Oly gear.
                    Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15, 35-100, Laowa 7.5.
                    Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

I managed to get out to Lowestoft North Denes for an hour this morning and found a couple of Turnstones to practise on. They were static birds and these are jpegs, as I don't have a raw converter which I like, but I am quite pleased with the results.

Ron

Comment

Quite pleased...! Well I would be over the moon with those Ron...its making me want this lens...need to save up now. Was thinking about going to EM1Mk2 but might plumb for the lens instead..

Peter
                        OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
                        I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
                        www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
                          Was that at Fen hide? When I was there recently there was a Water Rail wandering about amongst the vegetation at the water's edge for about half-an-hour but I couldn't get a clear shot of it. Very frustrating but I don't think even the 300 F4 would have helped.

Ron
                          That's correct Ron, Fen hide and got the chance to get some reasonable shots. I had my 40-150mm pro + mc-14 and 75-300mm mk2, not used the latter for a while, really wanted to see how useful that 300mm focal length would be

Mark

Comment

I posted this shot in the communal bird photography thread, but as it is my favourite shot so far with my 300mm f4, I thought I would post it here too.

I am really enjoying this lens and will be selling the PanaLeica 100-400mm
                            Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
                            Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by IainMacD View Post
                              I posted this shot in the communal bird photography thread, but as it is my favourite shot so far with my 300mm f4, I thought I would post it here too.
                              I am really enjoying this lens and will be selling the PanaLeica 100-400mm
                              Well exposed, that man!

Interesting to hear you're swapping: I gritted my teeth over the cost and size/weight/flexibility of the 300 compared to the 100-400, but haven't regretted the decision since getting more experienced with it.
                              Regards,
                              Mark

------------------------------
                              http://www.microcontrast.com
                              Too much Oly gear.
                              Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15, 35-100, Laowa 7.5.
                              Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Cracking shots Ron!
                                Stuff from Cuba
                                More stuff from Cuba
                                It all started here

Comment

Working...
                                X