Rattle in Panasonic 100-300mm lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattle in Panasonic 100-300mm lens

I have the Panasonic G Vario 100-300mm f4-5.6 lens and it is working perfectly. But there is a slight rattle from somewhere when I move the lens in my hand. I took off both front and rear lens caps and the filter but the rattle is still there. It is very slight and short but never occurs when the lens is attached to my Olympus OM-D EM5 II. As I said, the lens works perfectly and I have seen no artefacts.

Anyone else have a similar issue or know what this could be?

Re: Rattle in Panasonic 100-300mm lens

This is an OIS lens so it has a floating lens group that moves to achieve the IS. When the lens is not 'powered' that group will be free to move and might be the source of the rattle (I don't have this lens but I have heard similar on the 12-32 kit lens). I think the rattle should stop when the lens is on on the camera and the camera is powered (even if it is an Oly Camera not using OIS) as it will be necessary to hold the OIS group stable to avoid blurring the picture.

Comment

Thanks for that. What you say makes complete sense. The little rattle stops completely as soon as I fix the lens to the camera.

Comment

Just checked my one, and it does rattle when off the camera, and disappears when on.
        Stewart

My Zenfolio Site
        My Portfolio Site

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | Lumix: G9 | LX100
        Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135
        Leica: 100-400 | 12-60 Lumix: 12-32 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye

Comment

Working...
        X