No announcement yet.

Is anyone using a Bigma on an E-M1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Is anyone using a Bigma on an E-M1?

I have a chance to try out a Bigma (Sigma 4/3's 50-500) lens & am wondering if others still use it & if so, how does it perform on the E-M1 & what is the quality like?
    Please post samples here if you do.

Many thanks in advance.

Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Re: Is anyone using a Bigma on an E-M1?

Hi Ross.

I have both & have been mostly pleased with the experience.
    IQ is good, nice & sharp at all focal lengths.

AF is good in decent light but drops off a bit in darker conditions.

I'll be honest though since getting the 75-300 I've hardly used the Bigma because you really have to carry it by the handle which is a bit of a pain on long hikes, it is quite hefty.

Some examples:
    Reed Bunting by -mick g74-

White Tailed Eagle by -mick g74-

Turnstone by -mick g74-

Pheasant by -mick g74-

I'd say give it a try, there's few alternatives if you want the reach.

Cheers Mick.
    '

Comment

The Bigma is as Mick says, fine at AF in good light, but I tend to use manual focus more often than not. Sharpness is good providing you nail the focus, but as you'd expect, it's a little sharper at f8 than wide open at the long end.

I'm the opposite to Mick though...I use mine all the time...it weighs a tonne after a while, but it's worth the pain for me as I get much more consistent results from it than I do the 75-300. I may well just have a bad example of the 75-300 mk2, but I find it incredibly hit and miss.

The other thing I do which I frequently get told i'm nuts for, is use it handheld almost all the time. That's probably because i'm more of a walk around and shoot what I see type person than a sit and wait for something to arrive type, so I can't get on with monopods and tripods as I need the freedom of movement. It is a handful, but for me it's the best of the currently available crop of lenses 300mm and up that you can pick up for fairly cheap price.

Back in October I was faced with the dilemma of packing my Bigma or the more travel friendly 75-300 on a trip to New York...and despite the sore shoulder I don't regret for one minute picking the Bigma.

I'm hoping I'll be able to afford the 300mm f4 when it eventually arrives as something smaller and faster focusing would obviously be welcome, but for the time being, i'm quite happy with the Bigma.

Examples below...and more on my Flickr site!

Regards,

Alan

Slowly expanding Flickr
      ..and my horribly out of date website

Comment

Thanks for these great examples & insight into using the lens. I did research it back when (around the time of E520 & E30) but now the E-M1 can handle the higher ISO much better, then it is worth another look. This guy that owns the lens was last using an E520 with it & has since gone to Sony (I think a77) but is in for repair at the moment & when it is back this week he'll let me try the lens. I don't know if he is thinking about selling it but I hope I get first go if he does (if I like it & the price is right).

Ross
        I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
        Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
        Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
        Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
        Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Working...
        X