ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6

It has been a while since I last posted on this forum, what I would like to know is if this lens the ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 would be benifitial to me and my camera, I have the E510 in which I get so much enjoyment out of, I am no David Bailey so all of my photographs are not up to scratch like some of you.

I was in France earlier this year and there was some lovely birds in trees I was unable to capture properly, but I do feel with this lens I might of been able to get some good shots.

I have just got use to the other lens's that came with the camera, but would this be a big step for me to master this lens or would it be fairly straight forward to use.

Many thanks in advance for any information.

Geoff
    Geoff

Re: ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6

Hi Geoff
    after I got used to my basic kit the 70-300 was the first lens I bought. I still use it. The image quality is good only problem is that it does require reasonable light to focus quickly and can be a pain in low light or low contrast situations but when you know that, manual focus works well...if you can afford it then go for it. the learning curve will not be too onerous...but it is heavier than the kit lenses so be aware of that...
    chris
    shetland

Comment

Hi Geoff

Well to be honest I have had mine for a few months and I cant master getting tack sharp shots with my 70-300mm, I get 'ok' shots but nothing great, I have been told and shown examples on here that you can get excellent results if you are willing to put in the time and master it

If you have the time then yeah go for it, if you dont and can afford too then go for the 50-200 SWD, which is a lot faster and easier to master ( so I have been told)

Hope this helps
      E-M10 Mk2 - 14-42mm EZ - 40-150mm ED - Falcon 8mm Fisheye - FL-36R

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff

Comment

Its a cracking lens - yea, its tough to get used to, but believe me, its a great lens when you master holding it, and if your body has IS (the 510 does doesnt it?) then even better.

Some of mine with the 70-300 zuiko, no brilliant images, but at least you can see what it can do with practice - all hand held :

Hope you can see that this lens is a good buy for the money, just stick at it!
        Olympus E-5 / E-620(hld5) / E-410 with Zuiko's : 14-42mm f5.6 | 40-150mm f5.6 | 70-300mm f4 | 35mm Macro f3.5 | Sigma 50-500mm | Sigma 105mm Macro | FL-36r
        Macbook 2ghz/4gb/120gb/13.3"
        Lightroom/Photoshop CS5/Photomatix Pro 3.0
        www.dgpix.org.uk
        My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
          Hope you can see that this lens is a good buy for the money, just stick at it!
          I second that - you need to invest some time but it is worth it.
          David

Flickr

Comment

Kevin

Comment

This was one of the first lenses that I bought. It came as part of my E-520 Twin lens kit and it has probably been one of my most used lenses. I bought it for a safari holiday and it really proved it's worth.

You do need to get used to it, so don't expect the first few shots to be good. I always use IS and try to keep the shutter speed up, but in good light it is excellent.

Nothing special, but here are a couple of shots taken with it.

The first was taken from a canoe.

Hope this helps you decide
              Dave

http://bananabatman.wordpress.com/
              https://500px.com/bananabatman/
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave_battarbee/

I'm still trying

Comment

Geoff
                Another thought - you could perhaps use the Olympus hire service and try out the lens for a few days!!
                Kevin
                Kevin

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input and looking at the Photo's I would be silly not to invest in one.

With the results of the photo's posted I will be trying my hardest to emulate the quality.

I shall let you all know when I take delivery, and hopefully post some pictures.
                  Geoff

Comment

Keep us posted on how you get on mate, and bang up the pics for a looksee
                    Olympus E-5 / E-620(hld5) / E-410 with Zuiko's : 14-42mm f5.6 | 40-150mm f5.6 | 70-300mm f4 | 35mm Macro f3.5 | Sigma 50-500mm | Sigma 105mm Macro | FL-36r
                    Macbook 2ghz/4gb/120gb/13.3"
                    Lightroom/Photoshop CS5/Photomatix Pro 3.0
                    www.dgpix.org.uk
                    My Flickr

Comment

Here are some of my shots with 70-300mm and the E-3. It took me at least four months to get the best out of this very sharp but slow lens.

Joe

Last edited by joeletx; 30th December 2009, 02:55 AM. Reason: Add Pictures
                      OM-1n, OM-4, OM-4T, C5050-Z, E-500, E-3, OM 28mm, OM 50-250mm, DSLR 14-54mm, 18-180mm, 70-300mm, EX-25, FL-50

Comment

There was a thread a few months ago regarding the use of this lens for 'macro' work.

Here are a couple of examples, both hand held.

David

Flickr

Comment

Geoff

Comment

Hi Geoff,

Sounds a very good price that with the cash back and 2 yr warranty.
                            Anyone dealt with Best Cameras before?

Regards

Gavin

Comment

Geoff
                              Try Ian Kerr for a price - deals on ebay as kerso but if you email him direct - [email protected] - he will often offer an even better price.
                              I have dealt with him before and always found his prices and service top class.
                              Kevin

UPDATE
                              Sorry Geoff - didn't read it properly just now and missed that you had already ordered.
                              Last edited by baldyb; 31st December 2009, 07:29 PM. Reason: Senior moment!
                              Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X