My new Oly 12-100mm vs 12-40mm RAW sharpness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Oly 12-100mm vs 12-40mm RAW sharpness

I asked my wife for her comments on my first attempts with the new 12-100mm.....

"WOW" she cried, "you've never ever had sharpness like that before"... and I must agree with her.

Usually her comments are limited to the compositional merit, never the technicalities.

Is it the optics, the extra 1 stop in IS when used in combination with the EM1:2 or a combination of both.

Since it's introduction I must have had three at least of the beauty that is the 12-40mm, they were good, very good, but the 12-100mm by far out-performs all of of them.

My shooting technique has not changed between lenses.

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Re: My new Oly 12-100mm vs 12-40mm RAW sharpness

It is hard to imagine that the 12-100 Is sharper than the 12-40 even though reviews seem to suggest this. I think that if I didn't already have the 12-40 I would probably be eying up the 12-100.
      Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
        That’s interesting. Any chance we can get to see the pictures?

Real world comparison is so much better than the reviews that are “commercially” produced

Thanks
        Nothing would give me greater pleasure...BUT...I can never get the displayed image as sharp on a forum as is it appears on my screen.
        Is it Flickr or what I don't know.

But I'm over the moon with the 12-100, a great heavy lump yes, but superb.
        To reiterate I have NEVER had such sharpness from ANY lens....Nikon, Canon, Oly, Panny........

This is one shot....BUT...it's not as sharp as the RAW image displayed on my screen.....sorry

P3110131-2-1 copy by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by benvendetta View Post
          It is hard to imagine that the 12-100 Is sharper than the 12-40 even though reviews seem to suggest this. I think that if I didn't already have the 12-40 I would probably be eying up the 12-100.
          I traded a 12-40 for the 12-100....no regrets.

Comment

Composition and content trump sharpness, IMO. Seriously, who looks at a photograph to study how sharp it is?

On a personal level I favour a lens offering 'character', not perfection and sharpness.
            Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
              Composition and content trump sharpness, IMO. Seriously, who looks at a photograph to study how sharp it is?

On a personal level I favour a lens offering 'character', not perfection and sharpness.
              I agree 100% but who's interested in a new super lens that offers 'character'

Comment

Originally posted by Dave in Wales View Post
                I agree 100% but who's interested in a new super lens that offers 'character'
                I doubt you'll find a characterful modern lens, especially one with in-built electric actuators / motors.
                Steve

on flickr

Comment

Somewhat off the OP's intention, but what about these images for character? (He definitely looks a character if you ask me!)

https://petapixel.com/2019/03/23/wet...eid=2a426fcff6

DiW, I'll dlete the link if you wish / expect.
                  Steve

on flickr

Comment

The problem with 'character' is that it only applies to specific types of subject. I think it's better to start with the best (i.e. most faithful) lens and then add any 'aberrations' during image processing, tailored to the subject and personal taste.

The 12-100 sounds to be a triumph of optical design but I changed to MFT to reduce the size and weight of my kit, so it has not appealed to me ... yet.
                    Mike
                    visit my Natural History Photos website:
                    http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

To an extent, yes, but a pinhole can make the ordinary look quite extraordinary.
                      Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
                        To an extent, yes, but a pinhole can make the ordinary look quite extraordinary.
                        Hmm - a great big hmm!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                          Hmm - a great big hmm!

Jim
                          😂
                          More than 10...
                          Steve

on flickr

Comment

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

I always try to capture as sharp an image as possible. The image can always be degraded/blurred in PP.

An image that's captured blurred can't be sharpened. An illusion of sharpness can be created to a limited extent using (say) USM techniques, but detail that wasn't captured in the first place can't be 'magicked' into the final image - even using A.I..

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X