Sigma 56mm f/1.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sigma 56mm f/1.4

Does anyone have any experience of this lens?

It gets a good review here: https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/mic...mpus-75mm-1-8/https://cvp.com/product/sigma-56mm-f...n-art-lens-mft

Portraiture isn't really my interest and if I had that much to spend I'd spend it differently, but still intrigued. Sigma seem to produce good glass. My two Sigma primes (30mm f/1.4 and FT 150mm macro f/2.8) are both stunners.

Re: Sigma 56mm f/1.4

Guessing that's a no ...

Comment

There has been a lot of chat about it over on mu43 as well as lots of sample shots. It looks a really good lens. I think it's probably a better option than the 75/1.8 for most portraiture uses.
      Paul
      E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
      flickr
      Portfolio Site
      Instagram

Comment

Tempting. My 75mm doesn’t get used much as most of the time I don’t have the luxury of the necessary distance from the subject for street portraiture.

David
        The beauty of not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by periods of anxiety

Comment

My 75 only ever gets used for theatre, plays etc; and sometimes indoor sports. It's too long in most situations for portraiture.
          Paul
          E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
          flickr
          Portfolio Site
          Instagram

Comment

56mm would reduce your subject distance by about 25% for the same framing. Is that enough to make a difference?

It's interesting that so many reviews say what a wonderful lens the 75/1.8 is, but fewer people say what exactly it's good *for*.

I think for the foreseeable, the Oly 60mm macro f/2.8 meets my needs in that focal length. But very interesting that Sigma seem to have created another wonderful and affordable lens.

Comment

Originally posted by RobEW View Post
              56mm would reduce your subject distance by about 25% for the same framing. Is that enough to make a difference?

It's interesting that so many reviews say what a wonderful lens the 75/1.8 is, but fewer people say what exactly it's good *for*.

I think for the foreseeable, the Oly 60mm macro f/2.8 meets my needs in that focal length. But very interesting that Sigma seem to have created another wonderful and affordable lens.
              I don't think that I will sell my 75mm/1.8 but am now considering selling my Pany 25mm/1.4 which also doesn't get used much. That would fund a chunk of the Sigma. Rob, the answer question is that I don't know if the shorter FL would be much better. Feels like a trip to a dealer.

David
              The beauty of not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by periods of anxiety

Comment

I have just ordered this lens, will post my thoughts over the next week or so
                Nikon Z7, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G, 24-70mm f4, 85m f1.8, 50mm f1.8, Nikon SB-700.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8

My Flickr
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.tobygunneephotography.com

Comment

I’m on the brink, look forward to your thoughts.

David

Comment

This is my favourite lens at the moment, super charp & great contrast / bokeh straight from F1.4 . I prefer a slighter longer portrait length between 100-135 so this really hits the mark! Here are a few recent samples which I have posted on other threads.
                    Regards
                    Tim

Comment

Maybe I don't need any more lenses. 50mm f/2 is wonderful but doesn't get much use. If I kept a cheap adapter on it I might use it more ...

Comment

My experience was that this was a great lens, but the focal length just didn't suit me. If I was to buy another 'portrait' lens for the m4/3 I'd get the Panasonic Leica 42.5mm f1.2.
                        Nikon Z7, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G, 24-70mm f4, 85m f1.8, 50mm f1.8, Nikon SB-700.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8

My Flickr
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.tobygunneephotography.com

Comment

Working...
                        X